Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

I echo pretty much every sentiment in the thread. I enjoy the hell out of every second of his books, but they're definitely not what I'd call dense prose, not even his latest, grittiest stuff. But like maxnmona said - it's like the comics page. You know there's plenty of other stuff you could be reading that's more informational, educational, or well-written, but gently caress that. You just want to have fun without worrying about thinking too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Care to share for those of us who are filthy Americans cursed with owning lovely paperback copies with awful cover art?

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

YggiDee posted:

The cover has a candle.

That's kind of neat, mine just has a couple of footprints.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

It is Fifth Elephant but Vimes threw an orange at Inigo Skimmer.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

LooseChanj posted:

Get a library card, or are you like me and absolutely loath letting a book out of your hands/shelf?

He might also be like me and have a library with only two Pratchett books.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Nilbop posted:

A ... morpork?

It's a kind of owl.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Boobook

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

As a giant Pratchett geek and a giant board/card game geek, this makes me indescribably happy.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Grumio posted:

I couldn't find if this was discussed earlier, but has any other discworld novel had the word "poo poo" in it? I'm reading Snuff at the moment and so far there has been several mentions, such as "putting up with this poo poo". I've no problem with swearing, but I was surprised to see it in a Pratchett novel. Isn't he more creative with avoiding swearing?

I'm pretty sure I've seen it a few times, but not that often. One specific instance (since I'm rereading this right now) is in the Fifth Elephant when Lady Margolotta finds out Vimes is the ambassador, and says "the midden has hit the windmill," to which her Igor replies something like "nobody likes a thort thower of thit."

So not exactly "poo poo," but close enough!

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Pthag posted:

there's going to be at least another one

They actually just announced a few hours on Facebook that the sequel, The Long War, is coming out (in the UK, at least) on June 20.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Long-War-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0857520113/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360073089&sr=1-1

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Arist posted:

The zombie plot in Reaper Man is honestly kind of weak but the Death half of that book is enough to elevate the entire thing to some of the strongest material in the entire series.

It was the first one I read, and it definitely hooked 11-year old me despite skimming most of the Windle Poons stuff because I just wanted more Death.

I actually got it by accident because my parents were dumb enough to let me join the Science Fiction Book Club, one of those mailers from the 90s where unless you sent back the card every month saying you didn't want the books, they sent them and billed you for them anyway. It's also how I got Jingo, which I devoured right after Reaper Man, and an omnibus of Book of the New Sun, which was waaaaay too dense for preteen me but is now one of my favorite books.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Serperoth posted:

Also Terry was the absolute nerd king, wasn't he?

He loved to play Oblivion, and actually helped write some of the dialogue for a follower mod. It eventually got ported into Skyrim, too, and it's the one mod I always install.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

thetoughestbean posted:

Foul Ol Ron was the result of putting a Chinese restaurant’s menu through several layers of auto translation I thought

I think the Chinese restaurant menu was just one of the things Pratchett said he'd fed into the Markov chain, but "millenium hand" is a lyric from a They Might Be Giants song, and he was a big fan of theirs so he probably put some of their lyrics in there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

What are you talking about? Ankh-Morpork is a shining example of that cornerstone of democracy, "one man, one vote."