Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Darknyte posted:

Crivens! I picked up a Tiffany Aching book after reading this thread, and never regretted it. It's incredibly intelligent stuff for "Young Adult"; that's a good thing.

I've since picked up another.

And, having now read both "Going Postal" and "Making Money", I can safely say that Moist would win any election against anyone, even Carrot, hands down. He tells people he's going to do sketchy things to them and they applaud him for it.
Poor Carrot wouldn't stand a chance, birthmark or not.

I'm almost to the end of "Wyrd Sisters," which is my first "witches" book. (If something happens to him in the meantime or whatever I'll retract my statement.) But I think TomJon could give Moist and Carrot a run for thier money. He basically got a (admittedly mentally unstable) guy to abdicate by giving a speech, and was able to defuse a drunken bar brawl by reciting a soliloqy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I was just rereading 'Lords and Ladies' and noticed this exchange between Weatherwax and Ridcully:

"I was young and foolish then."

"Well? You're old and foolish now."

Is this a known TMBG reference (Lucky Ball & Chain)? Flood came out in 1990 and Lords and Ladies came out in 1992.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Bruceski posted:

The reference I feel proud of myself for getting is the Selachii and Venturi families who are rivals in Ankh-Morpork high society.

Selachii is the clade for most sharks, and the Venturi Effect is used for some jet pumps.

I have no idea where I picked up the knowledge for that one, it sounded familiar when I was reading Night Watch and about a year later things clicked but they're not topics I know well.

Never got this, never got dog-botherer (on my own).

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I recently reread Going Postal and it's about 10-20% off from peak Pratchett, and Making Money definitely feels more off. Too much dialogue from Vetinari, for one. And then I've started to reread Interesting Times concurrently, and it's so much tighter and, just, better.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Personally I don't think there's really a bad place to start. My first was Interesting Times, and I definitely lacked some (major) knowledge of setting and characters and previous events but the book grabbed me.

I also read Men at Arms before Guards! Guards! and can't say I lost anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

YggiDee posted:

I think that's the thing, each book is part of like, the long running drama that is Discworld but each novel is still a self-contained narrative. You're given enough previous information that starting a series halfway through isn't going to cause problems.

Exactly. And with Interesting Times I remember there being so much good stuff relating to Cohen and the Horde and general ribbing of tea ceremonies and One Big Mother that it didn't matter that I didn't know of Rincewinds' and Twoflowers' previous adventures.