Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

Krinkle posted:

I liked monstrous regiment. The thing you are all complaining about... I have no loving clue why that bothers any of you. It made complete sense in the context of the story.

I agree here but with the exception of Maladict(a) and Jakrum that was revealed far too early. I really liked the book though. It's not up with my favorites, but I thought it was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill
I hope that the Vetinari doesn't die, he's one of my favorite characters :(

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

Trouble Man posted:

The allusion is to the death of the Patrician, which nobody in the series has ever actually come out and talked about but is clearly the elephant in the room of Ankh-Morpork politics. Characters discuss that Carrot is clearly the rightful king, that there's more going on with him than initially apparent, that the Patrician has no clear arrangements for sucession, that he's rather key to running the city, that's he's getting on in years and that Vimes offed the last king of Ankh-Morpork, frequently without much relevance to the actual plot of the book in question. They don't need to come out and "OH NO I HOPE THE PATRICIAN DOESN'T DIE AS THAT WOULD CLEARLY LEAD TO A VIMES/CARROT DEATH DUEL ON TOP OF THE TOWER OF ART" for it to something that they frequently allude to - that is, an allusion.

I'm not sure why you're being so confrontational.

Vetinari is around the same age as Vimes. He's no youngster, but he's hardly one foot in the grave.

Also I don't think that Pratchett is going to ever make Carrot the king. The fact that it's constantly talked about, or at least alluded to, is exactly why it won't happen. That part of Carrot's past I think was put in there only as a knock on the stereotypical "random farmboy becomes ruler of the universe because he has a magical sword" theme in many fantasy novels. I doubt that it will ever come to pass. Vetinari is far too awesome of a character to get rid of anyway.

"Never build a dungeon you wouldn't be happy to spend the night in yourself."

Enfenestrate fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 16, 2007

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

magimix posted:

Edit: Actually, I really, really like how the different 'tracks' of Discworld books (guards books, witches books, MvL, etc) aren't just different with respect to focus on different characters, but are stylistically different in presentation.

Yeah, but I think the Tiffany books are a little too different. I like them; they are very amusing reads, but they don't feel like they are really discworld books. If not for the presence of some other discworld characters, like Granny Weatherwax, it would be hard to tell that they were even taking place on the same world.

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

Nilbop posted:

Of course I'm a college student so what my opinion on a children's book counts for is, well it's not much is it?

I wouldn't call it a children's book. It's most certainly solidly in the young adult category. I guess you could argue semantics on that, but there's a huge difference between Wee Free Men, a young adult book, and Where's My Cow, a children's book. The Tiffany books are full of stuff that would go soaring right over the heads of most kids, even 11-12 years olds. They were certainly meant to be entertaining to adults as well as teens.

Speaking of which, I loved the Where's My Cow reference in Wintersmith, with Rob trying to read it to the other Feegles

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Of course Death gets a mention - he's the only character to appear in every Discworld book.

I don't think he was in Wee Free Men. I can't find my copy to confirm this, but Wikipedia agrees with me.

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That's cause the Feegle don't believe in Death :colbert:

Also, from Wintersmith I get the impression that Death doesn't like them very much and they have been banned from the Underworld because they cause too much trouble and leave beer bottles all over the place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfenestrate
Oct 18, 2004

this cat is not chill
The Wee Free Men were in Carpe Jugulum as well as the Tiffany books. Carpe Jugulum predates Wee Free Men by 3-4 years.