Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
I haven't read Making Money yet - I tend to wait for the paperbacks of Pratchett for the sake of my shelves - but from what has been said in the thread about Enron/Rand/Smith etc etc is all very well and good, but it's probably worth bearing in mind that as Terry is an English author, he is more than likely drawing on current events surrounding privatisation of public assets in the UK, both current under "New" Labour (large bits of the NHS, academies, the Post Office etc.) and past under the Tories (the railways, utilities, BT etc.).

As a Private Eye reader the character of Reacher Gilt, as described in this thread, sounds like one of the City-based fat cat villains who turn up regularly in the In The Back section. Thoughts, anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

toliman posted:

but, i re-read monstrous regiment after making money and it was still fantastic stuff. even death gets a mention.

Of course Death gets a mention - he's the only character to appear in every Discworld book.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I know I am late on this but I have only just got round to Making Money. Reading it as the banking system - based on smoke and mirrors rather than, you know, actual gold - falls down in tatters around us is pretty amusing.

I can't decide if Moist would have been pro or anti synthesised CDOs and whether he would have shorted sub-prime mortgage providers, or whether he would have got caught up in the heady get-rich-quick atmosphere which prevailed on Wall Street and in the City until late 2007.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Jekub posted:

I've never been able to work it out, sorry. I've read it a half dozen times and listened to the audio book and watched the TV show. I can't bring myself to like it, and I'm a t-shirt wearing, Clarecraft statue owning discworld fan. I've never quite got why everyone else seems to love it so much, I've always preferred Reaper Man from the Death books.

I've only read it once, but I concur. Could never get into Hogfather at all.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

precision posted:

I started reading Pratchett because I saw The Light Fantastic in a K-Mart a few months after it was published and for some fated reason, bought it. Reading it before CoM is one of only three times I read the books out of order...

I read TLF before TCoM as well! When I was 10. In 1991.

God, I'm old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

When Pterry realised he would not be able to attend the 2014 Discworld Convention due to his failing health, he compiled a small book as a gift for the attendees. The book contains a dedication, a poem, two small fragments, an essay about Pterry by his PA Rob Milkins, and the essay I typed here.

You will not find one of these books for sale anywhere, or you should not, because all Pterry asked for in return for the gift was that we not sell them. Each book is individually numbered and there is a master list of who each one belongs to, so if one of them turns up on eBay we will know whose it is. However, I feel that what Pterry wrote deserves to be shared with more than the few hundred of us who were there.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

Terry's books were/are a huge part of my life. I don't know what more to say because I know you all understand. Think I was about 8 when I first read The Light Fantastic (yup, started the series out of order). It's a great regret of my life that I never got to meet Terry himself. RIP.