Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred
The Vimes/Carrot dynamic is merely archetypal - raw, do gooder newbie comes to big city and is trained by a grumpy cynical older cop. They both change because of it.

This is what Pratchett does, he takes the old stories and changes them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred

LooseChanj posted:

Oh, I know who Carrot is. I just didn't know he was the rightful heir to A-M's throne. And neither does anyone else. :colbert:
I think you'll find that "everyone" knows in A-M - reference is made to the fact in a few books post Guards Guards. Feet of Clay, for example.

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred
Guards Guards is an excellent spoof of the whole "guards in fantasy" thing. Pick up a later one as they become more of a comedy detective novel.

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred

precision posted:

The only annoying thing I can think of about Terry right at the moment, and he does it a fair bit, is what I would refer to as "pointing out a joke too much". The best example is in The Truth where, fairly early, a character asks Mr. Pin "Why does your partner keep saying 'ing'?" It's like, dude, Terry, the joke was working, it was ---ing brilliant, we didn't need it spelled out for us.

Think about a conversation where a person cut off parts of words. Wouldn't you wonder why?

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred

precision posted:

Sure, but real life =/= funny novels with wizards in.

Doesn't mean that there can't be a realistic conversation. Otherwise you'd think that Terry was just censoring the naughty words and it wouldn't be so funny.

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred
My lovely wife just bought me a collector's edition hardback of Unseen Academicals (number 319 of 3000) to go alongside the various signed copies. Definitely a return to form - the footnotes are in there, the wizards are as disorganised and cunning as ever and we also get to see the Archchancellor's thinking in more detail. Vetinari is just as he should be. And with all the big famous residents, we still get to see the story as told through the eyes of significant but less famous people. It was funny, touching and had several morals in there.

This one will definitely bear rereading.

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred
I had the whole fashion model bit down as a joke on the WAG phenomenon (if that's not a misuse of the word). Since there aren't any real models on the Discworld, first they had to be invented...

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred

Moist von Lipwig posted:

This too, but for one: that doesn't translate very well in North America, and two: there was way too much plot time devoted to it for it to be a one-trick joke like that.

Is Pratchett that bothered about North Americans getting every joke? Surely any North American who reads Pratchett is both intelligent and a Britophile and therefore can look it up? j/k

As with most things Pratchett, I think there are multiple layers to the joke, so we have a Cinderella/WAG/staers doing it for themselves sub-plot.

And it wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that once upon a time all fashion models were required to be under 5 foot tall and then the first tall slender proto-supermodel emerged and it was a further gag on that.

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred

Vetinari posted:

As for MR, it does seem a little silly as well, but realistically, the entire book was about how women can do the same jobs as men, especially in times of war. Most of us probably weren't alive during WW2, but back then, there was a shortage of men so women stepped up to shore up the working men's frontlines across the world. Makes sense Pratchett's generation would still remember that era.

That and the more obvious link, surely? There are a few histories of women living as men, getting married, having families and only being unmasked on their deathbeds. The final part of the book, and the whole backstory of the Sergeant, references this directly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Blast_of_the_Trumpet_Against_the_Monstrous_Regiment_of_Women - where the title comes from

LSpace posted:

And finally, 'Sweet Polly Oliver' tells the story of a woman who dresses as a male soldier in order to follow her true love into the army:

As sweet Polly Oliver lay musing in bed,
A sudden strange fancy came into her head.
'Nor father nor mother shall make me false prove,
I'll 'list as a soldier, and follow my love.'
So early next morning she softly arose,
And dressed herself up in her dead brother's clothes.
She cut her hair close, and she stained her face brown,
And went for a soldier to fair London Town.

http://www.lspace.org/books/apf/monstrous-regiment.html explains a lot of the jokes and references.

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred

Entropic posted:

Well next month is the time to do it! Remember the Glorious Revolution of the Twenty-Fifth of May!
And my birthday. So everyone should wear one of those flowers and not say why they are doing it. If you weren't there....

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred

Nilbop posted:

It was definitely a big step up from Colour of Magic, particularly in the gorgeous set and prop department and strong casting.
Definitely, most of the actors were pretty much exactly as I had pictured them (as characters).

Nilbop posted:

Richard Coyle played Moist as a bit more of a crazy bastard than I envisioned him and Poirot adored chewing the scenary as Reacher Gilt but they were both better than I excpected and oh my Claire Foy hit the nail on the head with Adora Belle. Charles Dance was typically excellent as Vetinari too.
I had never realised how good Suchet is at being sinister and evil before - he nailed it exactly. Dance as Vetinari was perfect, IMO - he was charming, urbane and ruthless. Adora Belle was one of the hardest characters to do properly, I think, and Foy nailed it.

Random thoughts:

Nilbop posted:

Angua was fit as gently caress but we didn't get any Vimes. C'maaaaaaaaan!
They did pronounce Uberwald "Uber-vowel-duh" constantly.
Seriously the sets were loving gorgeous.
Mr Pony was played by the guy from the Post Office adverts, if any British goon is wondering where they saw him from before.
Ridcully had his fly-fishing hat!
Angua was not as I had envisaged her. She's supposed to look like a model (up until she tears your throat out). I always pictured Ridcully as taller and larger - maybe he'll get to throw his weight about in the next one, whenever that is.

Nilbop posted:

Terry also got a great line to finish the show on: "Well, that's an embuggerance."
Very good to see him in this. Hopefully it means he has the strength for many more years to come.

I liked that the first part pretty much stuck to the book. There were a few bits missing - Gilt's parrot, etc - but it was very faithful. Towards the end of the second one, I kept getting distracted by how different to the book it was and missed out on what they actually did.

On the plus side, Going Postal is coming off my bookshelf and I'm going to try to reread it.

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred

Entropic posted:

They never seem to be able to get the wizards right. The popular conception of wizards is tall spindly wizened and ancient, and that seems to trump the books' description of them being bloody nearly spherical, and it's why we get Rincewind looking like he's 60.
Absolutely agreed. Ridcully was close, but why did they not cast Brian Blessed? He has his own beard, for crying out loud!

Entropic posted:

I always pictured Angua with Farrah Hair for some reason.

She's got the scary look down though.

:gonk:
They aimed for too scary. I always had her down as a pleasant looking, very attractive woman who smiled nicely. Right up until you piss her off enough to tear your throat out,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred

DontMockMySmock posted:

Nope! :unsmith:

Same here!