Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
I recently was in Italy and was running out of books in English, so a friend of mine lent me Carpe Jugulum and I liked it. It certainly wasn't a great book, but it was a lot of fun. So now I just went back and read The Colour of Magic and I'm reading The Light Fantastic.

I'm not an expert, having only read three, but the later book was definitely a lot better written and less all-over-the-place jokey than these first two. On the other hand, all three are so light I hardly feel like I'm reading a book. It's more like looking at the comic section of the newspaper or browsing through the SA front page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Trouble Man posted:

The allusion is to the death of the Patrician, which nobody in the series has ever actually come out and talked about but is clearly the elephant in the room of Ankh-Morpork politics. Characters discuss that Carrot is clearly the rightful king, that there's more going on with him than initially apparent, that the Patrician has no clear arrangements for sucession, that he's rather key to running the city, that's he's getting on in years and that Vimes offed the last king of Ankh-Morpork, frequently without much relevance to the actual plot of the book in question. They don't need to come out and "OH NO I HOPE THE PATRICIAN DOESN'T DIE AS THAT WOULD CLEARLY LEAD TO A VIMES/CARROT DEATH DUEL ON TOP OF THE TOWER OF ART" for it to something that they frequently allude to - that is, an allusion.

I'm not sure why you're being so confrontational.

Usually an allusion means a reference to something else, like a reference to Shakespeare or to The Beatles or something like that. It was kind of confusing because you seem to be saying that this character was referring to something outside of the Discworld series.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Was there seriously some sort of flame war about terry prachett a page ago that ended with people reporting each other for "flaming"? Jesus that's pathetic.