Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

My quarantine project was reading Discworld books at bed time to the kiddo. Shes only 6, I dont know how much of the story itself is gonna stick, just hope the telling stays with her. I try to read with enthusiasm and do voices for everyone.

I started with Men at Arms because it was what I had available. After that i just started at the beginning. She really liked the adventures of Rincewind and Twoflower. After Light Fantastic we switched and read the Tiffany Aching books Wee Free Men and Hat Full of sky

Mort was especially of fun to read BECAUSE YOU GET TO TALK JUST LIKE DEATH FOR LARGE PORTIONS OF THE BOOK. Last night we finished The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents and started on Sourcery.

She has mentioned before to watch out for the Luggage and was wondering aloud about the Great A'Tuin starbabies a few nights ago. We live in oregon so I occasionally have to mention not everyone with a staff is a wizard and it would be embarrassing if you asked and they were not.

I know everyone should probably have british accents but Rincewind sounds like The Monarch from Venture brothers but toned down, Twoflower is a polite canadian, Maurice is Jack Nicholson, Vimes is a tired Snake Pliskin. Dwarves skew scottish and Trolls are mostly Vin Diesel

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

withak posted:

Weirdos, OP.

This, and hiking. But mostly weirdos

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah, pratchett can't really be adapted well, because those things that make some of his books good, work only in written format. using a narrator in the good omens was a valiant effort, but it didn't work spectacularly.

Ive been doing a lot of VR gameplay and I really believe you could make Discworld and its stories really come alive in that medium.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Kiddo lost a tooth and the Bone Litch is leaving her a copy of Hogfather so we can read it heading up to Christmas.

We finished "Gaurds Gaurds" last night. I really liked this one, its mostly it's own story and there are arent a whole lot of characters so I dont have to make up a bunch of voices.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Canuckistan posted:

Anyone watch The Abominable Snow Baby yet?

We just finished it! It's really cute.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

So on our read through me and the kiddo finished Moving Pictures. that book was a SLOG to read. It had some hilarious visuals near the end with the giant woman hauling around The Librarian like King Kong but to a 7 year old it just was not as engrossing as Eric or Guards Guards!

Reaper Man so far has been a fun read. Last year my wife's grandma died and its taken the kiddo a bit to really come around to what that means but last night after reading a bit with Miss Flitworth and Bill Door, Nova asks "Did Death, the one from the book come to Grandma?" and I wasnt really sure what to say so I took a note from the books and replied with "Do <i>you</i>think He did?" she kinda waits and thinks about it and she goes "I hope so, that way he can take me to see her when i die" and gently caress man, im not made of stone but aint that the sweetest thing? shes already made a lil place for her grandma in her own lil heaven

Im super thankful that i have a kiddo that enjoys being read to, it makes me happy too

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

I try to make it fun when a new book starts, so I have started inscribing them to my kiddo from characters in the books.

https://twitter.com/TheSkinnyMenace/status/1570604180922044418?t=aAc2iQZ0M4EXmdY4hPZjEA&s=19

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

I needed something to keep me busy, i decided to read The Sea and Little Fishes.

Im breaking it up into 10ish minute "before bed time" chucks, cuz whats when we read our Discworld books here at home. Its about 90 minutes total, but only part 1 & 2 are up

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMPq5PkQzH7M3y0KDPAjSzBE9revzvPxY

Subscribe! Ill be releasing the story in 10 minute chunks over the next few days

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 5, 2022

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

Look up when it is, and read the short story

"The Sea and Little Fishes."

If you can't get a hard copy, there are alternative ways to access it, and it's really good.

with a little personal horn tooting, i did a reading of this story on youtube if you would prefer someone you dont know reading the story to you with silly voices and the like

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMPq5PkQzH7M3y0KDPAjSzBE9revzvPxY

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

I started reading Men at Arms to my kiddo just because it was around and I had been meaning to start the Discord books.

After that we started did pub order but did read all the Tiffany Aching books and Hogfather out of order. We have just started with Interesting Times and I think that makes our 20th book I think.

Nova likes The Librarian and CMOT Dibbler and Nanny Ogg the best.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

OK, so we are almost finished with Masquerade and i have Feet of Clay and Jingo on the way . Every time we get a new batch of books i try to make sure they have a note or inscription from a Discworld resident.

What kind of things do you think Granny Weatherwax would say to an 8 year old ? Or perhaps some tips on exploiting the market from CMOT Dibbler?

Ive done Rincewind, Nanny Ogg, The Patrician, Death and The Librarian in the past.

Perhaps something from Twoflower? If you have any insight or something you think i should include id love to see it

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 9, 2023

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

We largely know what Granny Weatherwax would say to an eight year old, she’s mentored two young girls, Eskarina Smith and Tiffany Aching.

It largely sums up to “Just because you can doesn’t mean you should” and “being young is no excuse for acting like you ‘ent got no sense.”

yeah i really like that i think going to go with something like

"Dear Nova
I know you have been reading and learning things about Discworld, but ive been watching you too! Books 'er magic, well they can be if you want em to be! But, you remember this you lil dancer

Just cuz you can do something, dont mean ya SHOULD!

and you tell Coconut (its her stuffed monkey) that if see em in my garden again im gonna turn him GREEN!

all my love

EW"

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Granny Weatherwax is old and her handwriting is not good.
Dear Nova
I know you have been reading about me
but ive been watching you too!
books are magic ya see!
Nanny Ogg says you were smart but remember this
"just cuz you can dont mean you should!"
and you tell Coconut (its her stuffed monkey) that if see em in my garden again im gonna turn him GREEN!

Stay Sharp

EW"

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

We are in the middle of reading Feet of Clay and I really got choked up when Dorfl saves Angua after being dispatched by the king.

The image of them walking out onto the street after their reformation really stuck with me and felt inspired to draw a thing

https://twitter.com/TheSkinnyMenace/status/1691585104085442894?t=6I-c14TW6LjWEQ3yXSmCrw&s=19

bit of a heraldic humor on the potters crest. Its a hand dropping a sphere of earth (hence its ridiculous shape) onto a wheel.

They were going to keep the traditional disc shape of the earth but it seemed too similar to the pizza guilds own coat of arms albeit upside down

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

We are in the middle of The Lost Continent

I like the jokes in this one, Dijabringabeeralong. The Wizard Faculty finding a god of evolution. it's so much fun

The only real hard part while reading these to the kiddo is not making every "Australian" person sound the same. I can do an accent that ranges from Paul Hogan as Crocodile Dundee all the way to Bruce from Finding Nemo.

Is there some kind of "how too accent" YouTube I'm unaware of so that I can get some Aussie variety?

Oh also for Christmas, I'm getting the child The Fifth Elephant, The Truth and Thief of Time.

I try to leave an inscription in the books. Previously it's been from Nanny Ogg, The Patrician or even Death. Any suggestions for this year's?

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Nova is getting the books Carpe Jugulum, The Fifth Elephant and The Truth as gift from Santa.

Imma write something as an inscription and I have a few ideas.

To Nova, a traveler in the vast expanse of stories. As you embark on this literary journey, just remember – running away can sometimes lead you right where you need to be. May your feet be swift, your wits swifter, and your path filled with interesting detours. - Rincewind

Or

To Nova, a young mind poised on the brink of understanding the delicate balance between order and chaos. In the intricate game of life, play your pieces wisely, and always be aware of the moves happening around you. The game is afoot, my dear. - Lord Vetinari

I also snagged a copy of Nation as well

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Y'all are too kind. I may have to put one in every book.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Ive never had this happen to me.

I got a copy of Nation for Xmas. I was reading it at my kiddos dance convention and another parent asked me what I was reading.

I try to tell her how much Terry's work means to me. I talked about 15 minutes about all the Discworld reading I've done to Nova, the lessons and themes exhibited in his works .

She then asks about Nation, I told her I just started but it's a story about colonization but from the POV of two adolescent survivors of traumatic. So she asks where he's from and I say he's British and she goes "oh another white guy making BIOPIC stories without any context. I'm sure he's a nice guy but he's gonna get it all wrong"

She hasn't even read the book! I was just slackjawed. I really had no response other than "I just started the book and his past efforts really show his dedication, thought and care in talking about these subjects" but she just stopped listen when she heard he was a white guy.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Also, there’s a ton of POC people in the UK, what the hell?

Same lady also told me it was racist for white people to point. Like if you wanted to know where the bathroom is, I shouldn't stick my finger out and say "over there" . It is Oregon, and hell I'm came here from Texas as a Southern Baptist doofus but WHAT?

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

sebmojo posted:

I might try to VPN it, that's a great deal

Verence's Private Notebooks are for official use only and cannot leave the castle.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Me n Nova just finished Carpe Jugulum. I had a blast doing vampiric accent variations. We have already read most of the Tiffany Aching books so we were already introduced to the Nac Mac Feegle.

I think my favorite bit is Igor, it's written with the speech built in, it's like Terry knew what voice i was already going to do.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Its rather apt I had this Discworld adjacent story sitting in my brain and I finally spent some time to get it out last night.

I was inspired by this photo and in The 5th Elephant we just got to the point where Death is talking to Vimes about the uncertainty principal.

Death usually only made personal appearances for Wizards (per the rules) however this one was an opportunity to try something out.

"Well gently caress" *
AHEM

The decedent quickly turned around to see an 8 foot tall skeleton, draped in a cloak of midnight holding a scythe. The icy blue orbs in his sockets would have pierced the man, if he wasn't already a ghost. And although the face of Death gave no movement he could have swore he was smirking

I GUESS YOU CAN BE TOO STONED
"huh?"
A JOKE, I'VE BEEN TOLD IT MAKES IT EASIER
"I'm dead?"
THAT IS NOT THE JOKE
"So what happens now" and Death told him "OHhhh allright, pull the other one"
the skeleton shrugged put his arm across the mans shoulder and walked into the light
BUT DID YOU GET IT, TOO STONED

*this phrase is among the top 5 phrases uttered immediately after passing, in any language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

When do the clacks towers show up? It seems around Carpe Jugulum they begin to be mentioned more heavily but without much explanation.