Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
after some rescent re-reading, I've come to the conclusion that while pratchetts adult books are great, some of his YA novels are quite literally PERFECT. The Nome trilogy and Only you can save Mankind have such an amazing amount of subtle social commentry, perfectly judged character interactions and simple wisdom, but never become preachy or judjemental. They're also quite unusual in that they don't have villains, not really. it's all just people finding them selves in situations and muddling through as best they can. So the Humans in Diggers, for example, aren't evil, even though they're a terrible threat, because they're just doing what people do, re opening an old quarry. And in only you can save mankind (one of the best commentaries on war that I've read), it's all just a game.

I also really liked the central conceit of Monstrous Regiment, reminded me of Lets Go To Golgotha in some ways (everyone has the same secret but they keep it from one another, not knowing they share it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

MolluskGoneBad posted:

I'm surprised by all the love for Small Gods. It's one of my least favorites; it seemed really trite and a bit hamfisted.

I think it's because it's Pratchetts only really no-holds-barred criticism of organised religion. I guess it can seem hamfisted because a corrupt religion is an incredibly easy target to make fun of and criticise, but I enjoyed the way he went about it personally. The central concept of a vast religious empire where only one man truely believes is a very damning commentary, but it rings true. And like many of the most interesting literary "attacks" on religion (dark materials for example), the book is NOT anti "God" or against spirituality, but is deeply critical of the dogma and human structures that grow up around religious institutions. It was also nice to see things from the point of view of the forgotten god; Om is a great character and really develops over the course of the story.

Monstrous regiment also touches on these ideas, but only in small gods are they the absolute core of the story.