Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Making Money was awesome. Thud! was way darker and kinda moodier than Making Money, which I have no problem with, it was an awesome book, but Making Money was like a return to the more lighter-of-heart Discworld books. I had a lot of good laughs during it, well worth a read. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Moist is clearly being groomed as the successor to the patricianship.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

shadok posted:

Night Watch is also my favourite Discworld novel, and I didn't find it a particularly "dark" work.

Well it was pretty dark. I don't know how you couldn't have found it so.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Last few posts made me realize how much I wanted to re-read Night Watch, so I just spent half an hour searching through my entire house looking for it! Thank god I found it or I might just have gone crazy.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

d3c0y2 posted:

you liked that about thud? It actually annoyed me, it seemed pretty silly and broke my connection to Vimes, thud ws my first vimes novel (outside of his minor appearence in monstrous regiment) and I was liking the grim character, but I found that in Thud, like in so many vimes novels (Jingo anyone?) Vimes builds himself up for an awesome finish and then it just fades away leaving me feeling cheated.

I mean Granny Weatherfax rises to the occasion, Vimes seems to always get cut short at the last second.

Plus it was hard to read that scene without breaking immersion.

Have you read Night Watch? The ending(s) there are amazing. Best Vimes book, hands down.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Holy poo poo that's amazing :monocle: I never knew it was based on a real painting!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

shadok posted:

I hadn't even noticed that it was the same character. But Pratchett also seems to like using Angua: she makes appearances as a working copper in "The Truth", "Monstrous Regiment", "Making Money" and "Unseen Academicals".

Angua is one of the main characters though.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ibroxmassive posted:

Or, seeing as you've Read about him,

a Read Herring

mind blown

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kipory posted:

Pratchett has said as much that Moist doesn't have the fangs for being a tyrant. He has said he does have the mind for being a hell of a politician, though.

Well clearly the patrician is slowly turning A-M into something that is not a tyranny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I haven't been able to afford a book in a long rear end time, but christmas is coming up and hopefully I'll get the last couple of Discworld books I haven't read, plus Nation.

Can't wait. :unsmith: