Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiny Norman
Aug 11, 2005

...Dinsdale?
If you go back and read The Colour of Magic his writing style is almost unrecognizable. It's basically superficial, picaresque silliness about being a wizard. He himself says that he only really started to find his voice at Sourcery.

Or, as Neil Gaiman put it, "Now the jokes follow the plot rather than the plot following the jokes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiny Norman
Aug 11, 2005

...Dinsdale?

Leospeare posted:

(Except Monstrous Regiments, not even a Vimes cameo could save that one.)

Yeah, what the gently caress was up with that one? It became a bit hammy to have loving EVERYONE BE A CHICK.

I also agree that Hogfather and the like can have dense, what the hell is going on? plots. A lot of the time I'm still not sure what's happening.

Spiny Norman
Aug 11, 2005

...Dinsdale?

Keshik posted:

I got teary eyed when Anghammarad died. :(

The golems always get me. The part from Feet of Clay with Dorfl's last words, when dying, WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN, gets me every drat time. Feet of Clay really is one of his best philosophical works - you can see Pratchett's humanism and sense of social responsibility really show through there. And I really liked how he linked the rejection of the idea of kings with the rejection of the idea of, well, God.

There is no THOU SHALT or THOU SHALT NOT. There's only I WILL or I WILL NOT.

He's caught his problem early and he's got time yet. He's not dead, as Neil Gaiman pointed out.