Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
How long does it usually take for a new discworld to show up in mass market paperback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

shadok posted:

Typically about nine months.

How long ago did Making Money come out? I don't really plan on buying the hardcover, but I'm up to Night Watch and I'm nearly caught up on discworld.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
In the middle of Night Watch right now, and I think this may actually the funniest discworld novel I've read. Even if it does center around an absurd sci-fi cliche.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Entropic posted:

Bah, the reluctant successor will be King Carrot I and you all know it.

King who?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

ibroxmassive posted:

Also, when Vimes is made a Duke Carrot is there, and everyone knows, but says nothing as not to upset the status quo

Oh, I know who Carrot is. I just didn't know he was the rightful heir to A-M's throne. And neither does anyone else. :colbert:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

machine gun wedgie posted:

I think you'll find that "everyone" knows in A-M

And I think you'll find that no one ever admits it.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Three Red Lights posted:

Honestly between Carrot, Moist and Vimes the only real way I can see AM run after Vetinari is some combination of all three.

What do you suppose TP would call an AM triumvirate?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Nilbop posted:

Carrot or Moist though, those'd be much more likely choices

I'd say C.M.O.T. Dibbler's a far more likely candidate than Carrot.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Calenth posted:

I think at the end of the novel, Vetinari would come back, as a Vampire, and Vimes would "Go Spare," as Nobby puts it.

He'd never last as a vampire, unless he were one of those temperance flakes, and I just can't see that. No, if Vetinari came back, he'd be a zombie. But no one would be able to tell. Hell, he might just be a zombie now.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

ibroxmassive posted:

and a relative unknown for Nobbs and Carrot. Angua will invariably be some Hollyoaks actress trying to make her way into Hollywood. :(.

I thought the guy they had in Hogfather was perfect for Nobby.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Well, I'm up to "Going Postal" now, and I'm sad there's only a few more discworld novels. :( I was all :woop: when I saw "Making Money" was coming out in Sept in mmp, then I noticed it was Sept *30*. :argh: Figures, I'm gonna have to wait for it after I finish "Wintersmith".

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Bonus posted:

Er, I'm not sure if I understand you but your post seems to imply that Making Money isn't out yet. Well it is, I read it and everything.

The paperback isn't, and drat if I'm paying $20 for the hardcover.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Just finished Going Postal, and I can't believe there's only 3 more discworld novels to read. What next? :cry:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Jusupov posted:

Is it with Moist again?

It's not even discworld. :aaa:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Wittle Goony Gurl posted:

71 Hour Ahmed. :eng101:

What's the source of that? I keep thinking it's a reference to something, but I have no idea what.

Slime posted:

Everyone knows Carrot is the true king. He just chooses to ignore it.

And so do they.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Sulevis posted:

And I'm just being on the safe side here.

It doesn't really fit the criteria of a plot spoiler, so don't worry about it.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Ordered Nation and Making Money today. Only one more discworld and then I have to wait with the rest of you. :(

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
So the UPS dude leaves the package that should contain Making Money and Nation. I grab it and open it with glee to find...The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen, and Mrs. Pargeter's Package by Simon Brett, both audio books. :psyduck: A quick run to the local B&N solves the problem (although the clerk did give me a little static over the online price being less, but in the end he let me have it), plus I found $5 in the parking lot. I consider this a net win.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I'm about a third done with Nation, and I'm loving this book. I can totally imagine the religious right frothing at the mouth over the way some issues are being tackled, and I'm willing to bet it ends up on a banned book list soon.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Dirty Frank posted:

Its true its not as gag heavy as some of the Discworld books, but there’s plenty to laugh at, especially if you find his "wry observations of human nature" funny. I thought it was excellent.

I never thought the discworld novels were particularly gag-heavy. The first Pratchett I ever read was Good Omens, and I thought it was dripping with funny. When I got into discworld I was a little sad it wasn't quite that stuffed with sillyness, so I decided to read some Gaiman and see if he wasn't the guy who brought the insanity. Sadly not. I need to read it again just to see if I was smoking weed back then.

Also I finished Nation and it doesn't fit with all the discworld MMPs on the shelf and looks strange.

And the only discworld I have left is Making Money, and that makes me sad. When are we going to get the next book?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I thought the first few discworlds were more obviously comedic than the rest of the series. I think it was after Mort that he shifted into a more cerebral sort of humor.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Darknyte posted:

Also, reporting in from Moving Pictures, about halfway through. It's okay.
Gaspode is my favorite so far. It'd be nice to have a book that was all about him, I think he's earned it by now.

I was pretty disappointed with that one. I think all the Flinstone'isms really turned me off. Terry's "what the hell was I thinking" book. Gaspode is always awesome though.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Darknyte posted:

Faust Eric, while also being co-written, is also a good bit shorter than the other Discworld Novels. It's like the later Harry Potter movies: jumping from scene to scene without a lot of getting from scene to scene.

It's shorter because it was originally illustrated, like The Last Hero. I don't think it was co-written though.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Entropic posted:

For some reason I've never been able to find the illustrated version of Faust Eric at a bookshop, though I've seen The Last Hero and a comic version of The Colour Of Magic.

I had to order The Last Hero from B&N's website, like so many other things. One of the nice things about them is being able to check if a local store has something in stock. A few times I've been able to run down the next nearest store (which has a bigger selection) and get what I was looking for. Did that for The Amazing Maurice.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

bigscary posted:

Rincewind-as-joke-wizard and Rincewind-as-eternal-coward-traveler

I liked the former much more than the latter.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Darknyte posted:

I'm always looking back to the publication dates and title list at the book, figuring out where we are in continuity.

When I started reading them, I went by the list in the front. I think it was backwards most of the time for some reason. Now I just go the list on the wikipedia article.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I finished Making Money last night. :(

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Wittle Goony Gurl posted:

Come on...did you not :unsmith: at ..."that can either mean gold, or thousand...."?

No, before now there's always been more discworld to look forward to! :cry:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

DontMockMySmock posted:

But I can happily report that if you haven't read Nation, it is very very good; so there is one last bit of Pratchett for you to enjoy, even if it isn't Discworld.

Read that last month. :(

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Capn_Marrrrk posted:

I just finally got around to listening to the Tiffany Aching Books and found them to be simply fantastic.

I read them last year. They made Twilight seem that much lamer, and they're not helping Harry Potter at all either.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I know I am late on this but I have only just got round to Making Money. Reading it as the banking system - based on smoke and mirrors rather than, you know, actual gold - falls down in tatters around us is pretty amusing.

One of the major themes in that book is that money is worth what it is because we all agree on it, and I loved the point about gold only being worth anything because...we all agree.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I must be the odd one here, because I really liked Equal Rites and Wyrd Sisters, but was left pretty flat by the later Witch books. The Tiffany Aching series is much better.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Mokinokaro posted:

About 1/3rd in Moving Pictures and liking so far, even if a lot of the jokes are cornier than usual for Pratchett Holy Wood? Really?

You don't need to spoiler that, and yeah, really. :rolleyes: Most of the book is that way, and it reeks of Flintstones' "tech".

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Moist von Lipwig posted:

It's been brought up before, by several people, but Moving Pictures really is a kind of transition novel from the goofy/zaniness of the first few books into the most serious satire of the later ones.

It just seemed like a lot of the things should have been magical, not little imps in cameras drawing pictures, which is what the Flintstones did. And some things were just shoved in for the sole purpose of being able to tell stories that depend on certain technical prerequisites, and don't fit discworld at all. I know you could say "well, that's because the source of those things is the source of the same things in our world" but it just doesn't fit. It's hamhanded to a degree that's jarring coming from Pratchett.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

The_Doctor posted:

God, I still need to start Nation. It was next on my to read pile, but then the guy I'm dating forced me to read his favourite book, Perdido Street Station

You need to dump him and that silly book and start Nation as soon as possible.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Pope Guilty posted:

I liked Lords and Ladies much more than Carpe Jugulum, which is Lords and Ladies with vampires.

Lords & Ladies was the one discworld book I really didn't like at all. Weird.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

gfl posted:

The best books are anything with Rincewind in them.

I liked Rincewind when he was merely incompetent, but once he turned into the world greatest coward, not so much. Cowardice just isn't funny to me I guess.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
You guys are all wrong. Moving Pictures is by far, and without question, the worst discworld book. :colbert:

Edit: Durr, Terry Pratchett never wrote a Dire Straights song. :doh:

LooseChanj fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 21, 2009

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

GhostDog posted:

Soul Music and Making Movies feel like he had a checklist of cultural references that he worked through and then called it a day.

Yeah, there was so much stuff shoehorned in Flintstone style in both books. I wanted to like Soul Music, and I tried really hard but it's definitely toward the bottom in my list of favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

precision posted:

I agree about Soul Music, it did feel like an overly-intentional cultural parody that didn't quite have a good plot. Though "music with rocks in" and "We're Certainly Dwarves" are comedic gold.

Don't forget "and some coke."