Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Keshik posted:

Oh come on, it's full of some of the absolutely best lines Pratchett has ever written.

"There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do."

Although, of course, the best joke Pratchett has ever written, was, and remains to this day, the footnote on page thirty-nine of Men at Arms.

Wait... is that Fingers-Mazda?

Oh god, I came up with that from memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Received and finished Making Money last night.

One-Sentence Review: Moist is a very interesting character and Making Money is another book with the same rough narrative structure as Going Postal, and the result is a book almost as good as Going Postal.

More in depth complaint about the plot, light-moderate spoilers:

It's not quite as good as Going Postal, in my opinion, but only because the villain isn't as interesting as Reacher Gilt. Cosmo Lavish is insane. I mean, even by the relaxed standards of Discworld the man is utterly binkers. As a result, it never feels quite so threatening as the conflict in Going Postal- there's no equivalent to the excellent Restaurant Reservation scene in GP, for example. However, it is extremely interesting that both Moist books so far have had main villains trying to become Patrician...

There is an extremely funny set of scenes in the book. They involve clockwork toys. "Toys", as in, "Toys" you may possibly find in a shop of ill-repute. I am desperately attempting to describe this circumspectly.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

PresterJohn posted:

Your interpretation is interesting. Your insistence that it is the only interpretation is stupid. And stop insulting people.

He isn't the only one insisting that there is only a single possible interpretation of the character. Here I always thought that part of the great thing about Pratchett was that things could be taken on several different levels, but multiple people in here are treating a fairly reasonable interpretation as though it was objectively (ho ho ho) incorrect.

In short: A plague on both their houses. I like both readings.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Without Juliet, we wouldn't have Pepe.

I can't accept a lack of Pepe.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

So, I just now finished I Shall Wear Midnight. It's... not bad. Not great, but good; of course, for a Discworld book, that's not a putdown. There are parts that are very good, and there are parts that feel derivative of the other Aching books, but there are no parts that are not at least well executed. It's not one of his best, but it's a solid Discworld book and a good sendoff for Tiffany. Callbacks, so many callbacks. I wasn't as overjoyed with the return of Eskarina Smith (Are we still spoiling even though it's like 9 months old? I will for safety) as a character, possibly because Equal Rites is the one Discworld book I legitimately dislike rather than like-less. On the other hand, things disconnected with the main storyline over in Ankh-Morpork like Angua's promotion to captain, which I really hope is setting her up as "Vetinari's New Terrier" makes me even more eager for Snuff to come out with some hot hot Watch action.

The climax was kind of flat; good on its own, but really after the absolutely perfect and incredible ending of Wintersmith (one of his best books as far as I'm concerned, top tier along with Night Watch and Thief of Time*) but it makes sense inside the story itself. No other real issues with the plot, however, and it did a lot right. For instance, throughout, dealing with the issues caused by The Cunning Man's poison going where poison's welcome was absolutely wrenching, and a sober look at contagious irrational hatred that's exactly the kind of thing I love Discworld for. I think there is a theme of 'hidden depths' at play, too. There are the obvious examples; Letitia being a witch was the one I didn't see coming, though I realized Amber's just before it happened because Pterry isn't one to waste a perfectly good character. And then the guard, and the Baron, and Wee Mad Arthur... basically, everyone. Nobody is as simple as they appear in this book, and I love that sort of consistency.

I will say that the epilogue actually made me get misty-eyed, since I knew it was the goodbye to Tiffany "Land Under Wave" Aching who is oddly enough one of my favorite characters. It was absolutely the perfect ending for her, though. Bring on "Snuff" and let's say goodbye to some more characters, though if there's an epilogue as good as this for Vimes I am probably going to be wrecked.

"Listen." Goddamn, perfect epilogue.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Small Gods is almost in a class by itself; it doesn't really feel fair to discuss it with the other Discworld books. I'm not sure right now if I'd call it my favorite, though I probably would, but I'd have absolutely no hesitation in calling it the best if the concept of quality divorced from my own enjoyment really makes much sense. As for the others, hmm. Thief of Time, Jingo, Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, and Witches Abroad would be in some order a non-Small Gods top five for me that likely would change in order from mood to mood. Each and every one has a Scene that just is incredible; Vimes' monologue to Carcer after catching him, Vetinari and the Minaret, "Find the one that is real."... mmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

I'm actually in the middle of a giant reread of every Discworld book in publication order, leading up to reading Shepherd's Crown for the first time later this week- I never managed to make myself read it when it came out, because then it'd all be Over. I'll put together an effortpost on my feelings when I'm done, but two points

-Gods, Unseen Academicals is bad.
-Monstrous Regiment is far, far better than I remember.