Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I picked up the audiobook version of A Life with Footnotes and was honestly super impressed that Rob did the narration himself, he does a great job, it’s not necessarily as difficult as a dramatic reading with numerous roles and all but he has a good voice and sounds engaging and natural throughout, absolutely could’ve passed for a professional recording artist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Beachcomber posted:

Ok, so I tried Nation again after all the love it gets in this thread, but it absolutely failed to grab me after 100 pages. I finished it the first time, years ago, but I don't really want to force myself to keep going.

I don't really care about any of the characters, which in a Pratchett book is extremely unusual.

It wasn’t my favorite either, some books just don’t hit for some people :shrug:

I also greatly disliked Dodger, it and Nation always felt a little too on the nose for me, I suppose I just like the absurdism of Discworld to soften the message and feel a bit less preachy

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Sublimer posted:

I’m not really even sure. I know there are series within the series like Witches and Night Watch? I typically like more serious stuff (Wheel of Time, Dune series, Expanse series) and couldn’t get into the Hitchhiker’s books, but the Discworld series is so beloved I gotta give it a fair shake.

Thing about the Nights Watch for example is that yeah there’s continuity, but only in a very broad strokes sense, like in one book a character is marrying someone and in a later book they’ve got a kid, so clearly there’s some overarching development there, but internal to the specific book it rarely matters beyond framing that character’s status and journey within the plot of the book. Of course, coming to an earlier book after reading a later one may then have a few things spoiled, but those sort of beats are rarely subtle or unexpected, like you’ll know who’s marrying who pretty darn quick, it’s more about the journey than a surprise twist.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Nova,

Always remember to give the cute little doggy a sausage.

Woof woof,
Gaspode

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

sebmojo posted:

There's a kind of ... thoughtful rigour ...to it that makes it even sadder, but you have a lot of pages before it really bites.

Yeah, it gives you a little taste but then things are so good for so long you can kind of forget it even if you know it’s coming, and then, well.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The man called M posted:

Is the Penguin Audiobook version of Night Watch available? I can't find it on Audible. (The book titled Night Watch, not the Watch itself.)

EDIT: Is there a version that Americans can listen to?

Doesn’t look like the Penguin version is available in the US, the ISIS version used to be (since I have that in my Audible library) but from what I can tell it doesn’t look to be any more? Can’t tell what’s up with that but dang, that’s one of the best and apparently unavailable

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The man called M posted:

What do you mean by ISIS? I don't know if terrorist organizations did Audiobooks on the side.

At the risk of handing it to ISIS. . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, the Tiffany Aching series may have a younger protagonist than most others Discworld books, but especially by the end the series is dealing with really heavy stuff in a far more direct way than most other Discworld books