Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Man, what a shock. This is pretty much how I always pictured Anderson in my head.

I didn't even realize it til I actually saw a picture of Anderson but I pretty much envisioned him looking like Tory from Mythbusters. :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Phone posted:

Sept 11, 2003: Nobody is in the studio when the show goes on air.

Stuff like this totally substantiates Anderson's complaints about Loveline being essentially "college radio", but at the same time is the reason why the show is so awesome. No one really gave a poo poo and that made it great.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Graham Wellington posted:

Yesterday I listened to an episode where Carolla goes in-depth on his days of teaching traffic school at the "Lettuce Amuse You" comedy traffic school. You can hear his teeth grit the entire time, epic rant.

haha oh god that sounds wonderful. Any idea on the date?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

The only thing about TACS that gets on my nerves is how insular the humor can get, with no sort of "glossary" available on the site. For example, I have no idea where the "NUMBER FOOOOUR" Dawson drop came from or why they use it all the time. Any help?

also the tuvan throat singing for Danny; I get that it represents him but why

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Can anyone name one of the episodes where they play the really long, drawn out version of drew's "you're gay" drop?

yoooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuu'rrrrreeee gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

God drat, I love Carolla but his "marijuana (and somehow by extension gay marriage) is illegal because 'what kind of message do we want to send as a society'" bullshit absolutely infuriates me and makes me cringe anytime I hear it. First of all there's a huge difference between what society thinks of an issue and what the governments legislates, and second, how the hell does gay marriage fit into this?

Oy. Go back to the attack crows, Adam.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Plus if he were to come back on Loveline to promote his show he'd be promoting a CBS product. I'm sure that wouldn't violate anything in his contract

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

jeeeeeeesus christ

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Cheddar Cheese posted:

I'm confused about something. Is adam returning to loveline been confirmed? If it's happening for sure, what week is he going on? I've been trying to find out but have been striking out.

This was on Drew's twitter:

RT @samvance: "Kathy Griffin on an old Loveline is killing me." So glad you are listening. Adam is coming back to join me next week
11:26 AM May 2nd from TweetDeck

so there you go

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Doublepodcast today! A new one with Adam and Harland Williams

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

give it to them adaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam :suicide:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Nice, I was on Loveline tonight. I wanted to ask Drew a question about the hypervigilance thing he and Adam would always talk about and whether that's tied to any other sort of other things like how gambling and alcoholism are often linked, but instead I got super nervous and sounded like a retard. Oh well.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Reminder Adam's on Loveline tonight and tomorrow

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

haha from Anderson's twitter during the show:

AndersonCowan: He just won't stop talking. It's amazing... in a terrible, terrible way.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

CaptainViolence posted:

Maybe I just haven't heard enough of his peanut allergy rants, but I haven't heard him say say anything like that. All I've heard him go on about are the parents who expect everyone else to completely eradicate peanuts and anything even remotely related to peanuts from anywhere their little darling is going to be anywhere near in the next week. I'm not saying he's always right (he's certainly not), or that he doesn't go overboard when he rants about it (he does, but that's his job), but if someone told me I couldn't have some airplane peanuts because their kid is gonna be on that plane two flights from now, I'd be pretty irritated.

I had a friend in high school with a severe allergy to peanuts that he nearly died from as a kid. We ate lunch with him everyday, and one of my other friends sat not three feet from him on a regular basis, eating peanut butter and jelly. He was fine. Another friend often had trail mix, rife with peanuts. This kid didn't blink an eye. I think Adam's point was that a lot of parents get a little overprotective to a degree that's not warranted, and when it starts messing things up for everyone else, it's hard to swallow without getting mad about it.

Those kids you're talking about clearly didn't have the kinds of allergies that are the root of this discussion. I don't care who you are; if you place more emphasis on your ability to eat peanuts than a child's ability to breathe and therefore not die you're an idiot.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I got pretty nervous today when I saw the podcast was just Adam and Teresa... but then they said Bryan wasn't there because of his honeymoon :3:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Judakel posted:

Ugh, will the peanut argument please stop? I really don't give a crap that your kid has peanut allergies and Adam is off the mark on it. I really don't give a crap about peanut allergies in general. That kid is hosed once he becomes an adult anyway. Let us hope he doesn't get a job at a ballpark.

Ugh let's stop this argument! Righhhht after I continue it...

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

There is an inherent entertainment value to playing the lottery; I put a dollar or two down on Keno every now and then when I'm at a bar, and the amount of fun I get out of that is worth the dollar that I lose.

Plus you're talking about the odds of winning the jackpot. Your odds of winning a prize at all, especially if we're talking about scratch tickets, and especially if within that you're talking about just breaking even, are significantly higher.

It's some super-condescending poo poo to call it a 'stupid tax'

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

Adam has said it's because Bruce is also an ER doctor. He said in an earlier podcast that if there was an emergency on a plane, and someone calls for a Doctor, Dr Bruce is the guy you want.

haha he also described Drew that way though

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Dr. Drew came to my school (Northeastern University) to give a talk last night, and it was awesome.

He really has come a long way in his speaking abilities, and it's amazing how Carolla-like his sense of humor has become. He said "good times" no less than 15 times, called kids "screwball", and continuously ragged on one kid who was super enthusiastic about anal (he named the kid Anal Sex Man and kept trying to set him up with the crazier girls in the audience). He was also dropping f-bombs and saying "poo poo" left and right, which was a surreal but awesome thing to hear.

The "speech" was basically more or less a live episode of Drew-solo Loveline; he talked a little bit about a study he had read regarding college relationships and the concepts of "hooking up" and "friends with benefits" (and college students' satisfaction levels therein), but mostly just opened up the room to have a Q&A session. It was great because he acted exactly as he did on the show; sometimes completely skirting the actual question the person had asked and honing in on the real issue at hand. One kid talked about how he was getting over an Oxycontin addiction and asked Drew about whether or not he should get on Methadone. Drew spoke at length about his opposition to methadone, and tied that into a story relating to the death of DJ AM and how angry he was that DJ AM hadn't received the correct kind of treatment. It was fascinating and pretty moving, I have to say.

The best part, though, was the meet-and-greet afterwards, where I presented him with a Mason jar. He laughed so hard when he saw it, and a middle-aged woman who was helping to organize the event asked what the joke was. He kinda looked at her, then at me, then back at her, burst out laughing again, and told her not to worry about it.

"Don't know what to say"

"Genius!!"

"Dr Drew"

Then he turned my eyes into fireballs and somehow mentally induced me to stand in a super awkward position while I got my picture taken with him

Drew was super nice and super accommodating; he actually talked to everyone whose books or tickets or whatever he signed, was totally down for photos, and gave hugs to any girls who wanted them (which was basically all of them). If you ever get the chance to see him, definitely do it.

Riptor fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 12, 2009

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

BradleyJamers posted:

That is by far, the coolest thing in this thread. Did a lot of people pull out some of the old catchphrases? Like: Long time listener, first time caller? Or describing Drew as a passionate man? Or maybe asking if he heard someone drop a nickle?

Oh drat I totally should have asked if someone dropped a nickel. Dammit. The only other catchphrase reference was some girl asking him if he rides bicycles, which got a very confused reaction from the crowd (myself included). Drew called her a "very dedicated fan" and explained that it was a drop from the show that's been used for about two years. As soon as he said that I thought, "heh, yeah, but I have a mason jar :smug:"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Dr Drew on the podcast soon! From Adam's twitter:

adamcarolla posted:

(TIME CHANGE) Taking calls for @adamcarolla and @drdrew tomorrow, Friday 11/13 at 10:00AM (PST) / 1:00PM (EST). 877.564.2326 (ADAM)

So you can call in if you want. As Loveliney as we'll get, I suppose

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Instrumedley posted:

This is completely off topic, but does Drew ever do appearances or book signings? I can never find any info about this and it'd be great to meet him.

A few pages back I detailed him coming to my school and signing a mason jar for me so yes, he does signings and appearances

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

UltraRed posted:

Bryan needs full time care, or so they've said.

yeah in one of the podcasts he says he says something to the effect of not being able to use the bathroom without help :(

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I called up to tell them about the meaning behind the Morton's salt girl a while back. This was with skype though. I talked to Cioffi and he put me on hold until Adam took the call. It was basically no different than calling a talk show if you've ever done that

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Judakel posted:

The crazy rear end vampires one is brilliant.

Yeah, the vampire episode was basically like having Loveline callers as guests for the entire show

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

If anyone out there has a Droid you can listen to the random loveline stream if you download StreamFurious from the marketplace

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Rushmore posted:

Golden episode. plus the following one, i believe they bitched her out to all gently caress

What was the line about Jesus? It was so unnecessarily confrontational

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

what what whaaat?

Anderson's twitter today:

AndersonCowan:

:siren: Thinking I should get hammered before Carolla comes in tonight. :siren:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

estradiiiiiiooooool

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

motorcycle collided with a nuclear armament truck

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Haven't heard the episode but could it be When I Grow Up by Garbage?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Is there a reason the stream won't work on my android?

xiia live works

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Chexxum posted:

If anyone is losing interest in Carolla's podcast, I highly recommend WTF with Marc Maron. I started to lose interest in the new format with Teresa reading the news and celebrity gossip taking up almost an hour per show so I decided to check out the WTF Podcast. I was avoiding it because I never liked Maron's stand-up, but he's a loving awesome interviewer. I wouldn't even call them interviews, most of the time I feel like I'm eavesdropping on people having intriguing discussions. Definitely check it out if you're at all interested in two people having in-depth conversations about doing stand-up, living life, and taking poops (Wait for it...POW!).

I agree, the interview sections are great. But the intro sections where Maron is just so pathetically down on himself about every goddamned thing in the universe are 1000x worse than Carolla on his worst day

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Phone posted:

"Hey, can we put that on the screen? Yeah the screen no one can see. Yeah Donny put it on the screen. Okay it's just coming up. It'll be up here on the screen soon. Here we go. Surely this has enhanced our audio podcast immensely!"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Awesome. Thanks so much!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

The Senate posted:

I came so close to deciding to never listen to his show again when he went on his rant about how racism isn't racist while describing a completely racist set of circumstances.

What'd he say exactly?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Majorian posted:

So I'm watching the 2009 Simpsons rerun that's on right now, and now I'm upset that nobody told me that Huell was on it.:doom:

I was just watching Who Killed the Electric Car and a clip of Huell's show makes an appearance as well

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

bananasinpajamas posted:

Drew used the phrase "a puckish satire of contemporary morays" at least once every six months on Loveline

Mores. Morays are eels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

zVxTeflon posted:

It was a fake call. You can hear the kid in the background tell his dad "I made up this question I said my science teacher was molesting me"

Right but in the presence of his dad that doesn't prove that he is or isn't making it up

• Locked thread