Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm listening to 1998 at the moment and have noticed a few times that smoke detector low battery chirps are not yet A Thing.

Anyway my current ep is "1998-08-09" featuring latin/spanish rock band Maná and this may be the first instance of it being a point of contention. Adam doesn't recognise the noise after several beeps and it takes Dr. Drew to pick it.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Haven't finished it yet, but there's too much swearing. It's weird to me, makes it seem a little bit more hostile/angry.

Liked it well enough so far though, so I'll keep going.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

vote_no posted:

They just need to let the discussion flow naturally from the callers. Neither of them was ever good at creating material, so they find themselves with the opposite problem of Loveline: they need to take more calls. Adam is hilarious when it's natural, and grating when it's forced. I haven't listened to the second episode yet, but hopefully they actually take calls.

I definitely agree with you about letting the topics of discussion come from the calls and therefore be a bit more varied, as well as providing a natural end when it starts to drag.

I've listened to both eps, and I like it but it's not as good as real Loveline.
Being just under an hour probably helps, to be honest.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I don't mind it too much because I actually listened to the partial episode recently because I'm going through the "1998" episodes at the moment, so it was nice to have a little clarity about it.

The whole "Carolla era" thing is a bit much I agree though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah the latest two or three have that narrative historic intro.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

It's doubly jarring because web.com sounds like a shady website design/hosting company from 1996, too!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Is that the one about the rising college tuition costs? That was pretty prescient.

And remember to get your quality diamonds direct from the slow-talking wholesaler. Brilliant cut pendants from $99.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Rack posted:

Hey this is Adam.
And this is Drew.
And you're listening to THE ZONE!

I'm in the middle of 2000 at the moment and whichever station got taped and digitised for the torrent played their "celebrity station identification" drops over every intro bumper, which got potted down and sometimes runs into actual show time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Despite having been the home station I don't recall hearing a bumper for KROQ on the archive I have.

I've definitely heard KROQ station IDs somewhere before.
If I remember correctly, they were the only station to actually put their name in the middle of the prerecorded station identification clip.

You know that stupid
"This. Is. LOVELINE. On. <RADIO. STATION.> beeeep!"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Your body is built for many amazing things!
Jumping! (boing!!!)
Running! (clomp clomp clomp)
Football! (ref whistle)

But there's one thing your body's NOT built for!
AIRPLANE TURBULENCE

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Crappy radio is drat right. Would it kill them to run a normalisation on the audio, as well as clean up things like hiss and hum where present before releasing the episode?

Like many people, I listen the podcasts while commuting and some of callers are basically unintelligible because of the wide range in volume.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I don't think it was confiscated per se, from memory they needed to run off a copy for the LAPD so they could sue her/the station about it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I know :thejoke: but I'm listening to the period right now between where Adam ran into Minka at the strip club and the episode where they got her into the studio and geez louise he really lays it on thick. To be fair it's mainly because people call in and request it night after night which gets him going for 5-10 minutes every time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I still listen to the Adam and Drew Show podcast and it really disappoints me when he won't let Dr. Drew interject momentarily because then it just turns into another clone of his main show.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

We were discussing it earlier and this is hardly a high-traffic thread so go nuts.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Classic Loveline podcast continues to have massive audio quality issues which is dumb for something which is supposedly curated, but a couple of recent episodes have been really great in terms of content at least.

#111 with John Cryer and the cast of Partners
#109 which has Jenna Jameson as a guest but to be honest the fill-in Doctor Mark (?) is awesome and too bad he didn't do more appearances
#108 with Warren Cuccorullo, the guitarist from Duran Duran

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Jan 2001 is a strange dark time. The Program Director has told Adam to stop abusing callers so much and Anderson not to play any drops. :smith:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

CatchrNdRy posted:

Do they take callers? The few I listened to did not, it was mediocre, but usually just Adam and Drew droning on and on and on, middle-age style.

Listening to the classic podcasts, did Adam and Drew used to shill so much crap during commercials back in the day?
I do enjoy how much more they tried to intervene by phoning the callers bf/gf.

They do now, but it's nowhere near as fun as the old days since the callers are all fans and not regular listeners.

I doubt they used to do ads in the old days as the show was syndicated and the radio station playing the feed would get the right to insert their own local ads over the PSA reel they've mentioned before.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Advertising products like that is how most podcasts make money. Audible seems to pop up a lot on podcasts I listen to. I can't really fault them for trying to turn a profit, although I die a little inside every time I hear Drew advertising some brain game thing in exactly the words that aren't a medical guarantee.

Heh, I think they lost Luminosity as a sponsor or Drew just forgot but in the latest episode he shits on those mind game things a bit and tells people to just download free lecture series off iTunes U.

human being better, run?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah Classic Loveline is updated pretty regularly once per week.

I just wish they would normalise the levels across the whole show. It's pretty hard to listen to on public transport.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

rorty posted:

Nice little moment of Giovanni talking poo poo about the 'Loveline community' while redistributing their work for money on the one of his lovely intros I couldn't be bothered getting my phone back out of my pocket to skip through.

What the hell is even the point of mashing together a few low quality "lost episodes" where all of each that remains is ~20 minutes and making that a "Classic Loveline" podcast. I could listen to them separately without ads or commentary, thanks to the community.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Can't help you there except on the bit about "archive tapes".

In the beginning the claimed that he did, and it might have been true, as he was releasing high quality full episodes in order for a while.

That ended though and recently there have been quite a few episodes that have low quality audio and/or cut off abruptly, and they are not released in order or without gaps either.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

WDIIA posted:

Although currently I'm in a near total absence of gambling which has always been my favorite, I don't remember if it comes back or if they had put the kibosh on it

Gambling is OK but only when it's a No Guest night otherwise it just draaaaaags and can even go for longer than 1 segment.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Also some episodes just cut out halfway through the show which kind of defeats the purpose of Classic Loveline by Podcast One supposedly being a definitive archival copy.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Killswitch for the fuel pump.

Can't tie it to a particular episode though, sorry.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

criscodisco posted:

I haven't listened to anything post-Loveline, but did Adam ever get anyone to come into Westwood one to fart on their head?

I listened to this saga recently, surprisingly Anne/etc. were actually pretty keen for it but the original caller backed out by not picking up their phone. In the end it never happened.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

AgentJotun posted:

Drew was replaceable. Dr Spaz episodes are great!

Eh, they're good but if they were every episode then it would quickly wear out the welcome.

Same kinda thing with Drew-only episodes.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Oh dear Fran Drescher on the Dr. Drew show.

I assumed they thought she would be a good guest to promote awareness of uterine cancer, which (to be charitable) I guess she kind of is.

But her whole spiel was about TOXINS and BIG PHARMA (and prescriptives[sic]) with Dr Drew sitting there politely. I had to turn it off.

I get that he can't really try to get his guest into an argument, but just don't air the show dude. It's not radio, it's OK for it to be left on the engineer's floor.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they haven't bothered to upload any Classic Loveline for a couple of months at least by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Oh right. Well I can see it in Overcast, but that might be because Marco caches stuff on his servers.

• Locked thread