Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I tried searching and it doesn't seem like it's been talked about in this thread, but I could be wrong.

I'm sure those who listen to as much old Loveline as I do are familiar with Estee Cholodenko, who Adam mentioned a good number of times as being his first girlfriend, and that she said "my friends said I'm crazy to date you".

I was listening to an episode I had heard a number of times earlier, and somehow I had never heard him mention that she had become an actress, and then changed her last name to Chandler.

Anyway, maybe it's just blowing my mind, but she was Nicki in Teen Wolf Too, and the girl who couldn't pass her acceptance exam for Starfleet Academy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I read online that Daniel Tosh was up for the spot before Stryker, and I would have loved to have heard that.

I'm glad that Mike is doing a decent enough job, I'll have to give a listen. I never listened to any Stryker episodes other than the handful he hosted while filling in for Adam.

Was it really as bad as people let on? Did they get rid of him, or did he find something else to do?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I'd love to hear that. Is that the one with Pamela Adlon in it? Does she sound like Bobby Hill full time?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I listened to it, and incidentally it was my first exposure to the Adam Carolla podcast. I did think that it was sort of sad that I knew exactly what the jokes were as soon as he started into them, but I think that having listened to old loveline daily for 12 years has made me an Adam encyclopedia.

That being said, I really enjoyed his podcast and will have something new to listen to, which is great.

Tweak posted:

Those of us that live in the city Carolla loves; Seattle, got to see his sitcom if you showed up early before the last live show he did a couple weeks back

In the podcast, Adam mentions getting to see the son's nutsack during a scene, but I can't imagine what scene it would have been from what he played. Do you remember the context where that might have been possible?

Also, was it this guy:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2799457/

Because Pamela Adlon mentioned that he texted her a picture of his penis after the show went nowhere, and I'm wondering which one it is. Hard to tell from IMDB.

Also, thanks to the podcast, I now know that Bobby Hill is also the primitive Vulcan lady from the episode of TNG I've seen ten thousand times.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Ah, I thought the sitcom they were talking about was Ace in the Hole, since Pamela Adlon was in it, too.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I thought that they were shut down a long time ago.

I've been using http://www.lovelinetapes.com/

The site is slower than dirt sometimes, but they've got a pretty good number of shows, and I'm still coming across ones that I never heard or are too much of a stoner to remember.

Did llarchive have a better selection?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I've only gotten one or two off of lovelinetapes that wasn't fine or high quality. There's a good half-dozen I've downloaded where the first 4 or 5 minutes are sort of hollow and staticky, but it always cleans up afterward.

About a year ago I deleted that 60GB torrent of old episodes that was floating around, when I learned how easy it was to find them separately on these sites.

I'm really going to be mad if I have to spend the weeks downloading that again.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Ez posted:

I still love Adam. I listen to at least 2 episodes of Loveline a day, I can't get enough, but between the podcast, his book, his new projects, it seems that anything that Adam is putting out that isn't off the cuff is completely old and recycled.

I'm the same way. I always get excited to see or hear something he's done, but I'm always disappointed to hear the same old stories rehashed one more time. I think that Loveline was just the perfect venue for his quick wit. Not that I don't still love listening to him ad nauseum.

I never did see Windy City Heat, though, and he did talk that up quite a bit.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I don't think he ever called it richman/poorman, though, just occasionally mused that certain things meant you were either doing very well or very poorly, like having a whole bunch of cars.

Hearing Adam hit on a still-closeted Portia de Rossi was funny enough, but at some point she shares her opinion on something and he replies "Yeah, but you're a good-looking thespian."
http://www.lovelinetapes.com/shows/?id=83&h=Zjc4ZTMwMzc

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Unless you're making a loveline joke, I'm in the same boat.

Whenever I see him in the news, I think "what a disgusting drunk!", but the second I hear him on loveline or watch anything he's done, I immediately sympathize with him.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I tuned into Dr. Drew and got one called "The Truth About Teens & Sex", with a bunch of teenagers and some skanky shrink. Is this the one or am I getting a repeat? My cable guide has been not showing episode descriptions for several days, for some reason.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I know this is a long shot, but a couple of years ago I listened to one of them that's floating around online, and near the beginning there was a pretty lengthy call from a teenage girl, telling a story about how her and her best friend were at the lake or the park. Some guy came along and held them both down and forcibly fingerbanged both of them at the same time. The majority of the time was Adam trying to ask how he could hold them both down and fingerblast them without them just running off.

I remember dying at the call, but for the life of me don't know what episode it was. I'm pretty sure that it was just the love between Adam and Drew that night.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
You're awesome, thanks!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Brekelefuw posted:

What's my dad doing in Israel?

That call, and all the subsequent mentions of, will always be like that gif of a lady spinning on one foot. If I go in thinking she says "He's in Israel", I'll only be able to hear that, and vice-versa.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
They no longer tell how old the callers are? That seems pretty important.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I know it's been a week or so since it was posted, but I've been without internet so I must know:

I listened to the posted episode with Carolla on a week or so ago, and it's my first time listening to an episode since Adam left the show.

Psycho Mike seems OK enough, but in all honesty I never listened to the show for the calls, but for Adam's comedy. It was pretty good, but there were a few things I didn't understand:

Is the part with the two of them bullshitting in the beginning just an internet thing, or is that broadcasted? They talked about artichokes with Anderson for what seemed like 15 minutes.

Does Mike always sing when they're back from commercial? It was really grating and I hated it. But I did think that Mike was a worthy successor to Adam, just not as funny on the fly.

What was the rhyming game? Is that something pretty common? Any other fun games I missed since I stopped listening to new episodes? Do they still do Germany or Florida, or the Ranchero Countdown?

What was with the recap at the end? I don't understand the point of that at all.

Anderson seems to have really become a bigger part of the show. I hope they're paying him accordingly.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I know Adam used to say that Bruce was a better doctor than Drew, and I think Someguy doesn't realize that it was a quote earlier.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Maybe I'm just in love with Ken Marino, but this is a fantastic show:
http://www.lovelinetapes.com/shows/?id=728&h=ZTkyZmM5ODF

Whenever Adam comes in drunk (he had just done that old man show bit where they went to LAX and played drunken pilots), he's just fantastic.

Also, remember a world when two guys could go to an airport drunk and dressed as pilots and roll around on the baggage carousel?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Well doesn't that suck.

Thanks for all the awesome work, FCKGW.

As much as I love having all my old loveline needs met, it can't be worth it in the face of this.

EDIT: following the link in your letter, I'm looking into the face of Drew again, and I have to ask; does anyone else think he just looks weird these days? Still attractive and all that jazz, but just oddly muscled up. I think it's the short short sleeves and the bulky glasses. It just looks weird.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I'm constantly worried about lovelinetapes... I was almost hoping that it wouldn't be mentioned. Either they haven't been contacted, or they just don't care.

Either way, I'm worried about never having my loveline again.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I'd love one if possible.

criscodisco@gmail.com

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Whitey Ford posted:

Same, same. But different.

I looked at the picture before I read the article, and thought "what happened to the innocent aryan children?"

FCKGW posted:

somebody made a thing
http://welp.im/ll

This is awesome, and I love that I immediately knew the answer.

Since I listen to so many mid to late 90's episodes, I always remember the guest name and then google it later, and I am often sad about where their careers went since the show. Especially Kari Wurher. What an awesome guest, and a terrible, terrible actress. I love her songs.

I'm trying to remember an episode I listened to a month or so ago, with a British gal who had gotten her start as a Page Six girl. Adam talked about her big boobs, and she went on and on about how they were all-natural but didn't really show up until she was 19.

So later on I googled her, and saw that she had been removed from being a Page Six girl after it came out that she had gotten a boob job at 19 and they had a policy of no fakies. She also hosted some sort of morning show over there until very recently... can anyone help me remember who the hell I'm talking about?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I could be way off, because I've never seen the Wizard of Oz, but I always thought it was the "if I only had a brain" music.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Maybe I missed it, but what was the call?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
FCKGW, you're about the best guy on the forums.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I watched all of about 10 minutes of it on TV the other night, but couldn't go on.

I really wanted to like it, but they did that thing that shows sometimes do, where they fill the screen with so many little graphics that the actual live picture is like, less than 2/3rds of the screen. I can't stand that, and I hope it changes. Also, when a joke doesn't work, Adam doesn't seem to know when to stop going on with it and trying to make everyone "get" it. Maybe these are bugs that will get worked out.

http://www.lovelinetapes.com/shows/?id=740&h=NTNlZTFhYTI
This is one of the hardest episodes I've ever tried listening to. It's a gal from Planned Parenthood, and a gal from Right to Life. The Right to Life chick is so sanctimonious and annoying that I had a hard time listening. Plus, only Adam busts her balls for spreading nothing but misinformation.

I am posting it, though, because I'm always interested in where popular drops originate from, and it's the source of the "No, not alright!" drop that Anderson uses every time they discuss middle eastern stuff.

It's at right about an hour in, right after the chick from Right to Life leaves. It's hard to tell, but I think the caller is claiming that only non-whites should be getting abortions, because the supreme white race needs to be procreating, and no-one else.

There is an amazing exchange, though, right after the Right to Life gal leaves, but the Planned Parenthood lady stays:
Adam: "She's tough but unfair... see you in hell, baby.
Alright, let's let the party start. Nancy, got any reefer? You guys plan murder, you all smoke out, right? You guys are cool."

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

EnsGDT posted:

thisweekonhack.com

arapist.com
lightninground.net
juniorjuniorjuniorjuniorjuniorproducer.com

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That's why I can't get into the show these days. I've listened a few times and Mike seems more than competent, and not at all annoying, like Stryker was.

But, to be honest, I didn't listen to the show for the advice. I listened to hear Adam make jokes about the idiot callers, and that doesn't seem to happen any more. Also, it seems like they're doing that "bad radio" stuff that morning shows do, and it's annoying. I can't help but feel like Adam would have protested that to no end.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I just downloaded a handful last night, but now all the download links are missing :(

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
In case anyone who cares hasn't noticed yet, but the download links are back on lovelinetapes. Thank god, because I have so much yard work to do this weekend.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I love Adam and support 99% of his beliefs, but he's just kind of a dick on this one, and wrong (in my opinion). I'm just glad it's finally not OK to make fun of us. I'll get off that soapbox, though, because it's impossible not to be annoying on it.

Brekelefuw posted:

Is anyone else getting an incorrect captcha message no matter how correctly they type in the code at loveline tapes?

The system is awful. You have to refresh the page and try again with a new code. I usually have to try two or three times per download to get one it will take.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Len - Steal my Sunshine

And, although I'm sure he was thinking of the Len song, that part used in the bumpers is pretty much a straight sample of the song More, More, More by Andrea True Connection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIXHks5z8Tw

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Brekelefuw posted:

Anyone else not able to get shows from lovelinetapes? I do the password correctly, but then the download takes forever to load and the file is 0kb. I need my fix!

It does that from time to time. In my experience, if I try about a half an hour later, it works just fine.

I love the site, and appreciate it for all the LL it brings me, but it's buggy as heck sometimes. Between that and the constantly wrong code for downloading, I get more frustrated with that site than any other.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Yep, I only ever remember them heaping praise on her.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Whitey Ford posted:

I get the impression that off-air they were probably a lot more vocal and lovely, then came back on air with the polite pre-written line about leaving.

It's kinda odd because they're such a dysfunctional hosed up bunch of guys and the lead singer is on Top Gear occasionally doing stuff that has nothing to do with direct promotion of his band, you'd think they would fit right in on Loveline.

I think you're right, because I remember Adam saying, that night, that they respected their decision to leave, but by the next night he was ripping them one over it.

Maybe he's more into non-promotional gigs now that they aren't "the next big thing", which I sort of remember them being around the time of their LL appearance.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I think the thing I like the most about Loveline, versus regular interview formats, is that it's really good at giving me a better feel for actors/musicians that I never liked.

As in, for some reason, I've always found Jerry O'Connell really annoying. I can't say why, I just did.

But I listened to this episode:
http://www.lovelinetapes.com/shows/?id=1103&h=MThjM2NmZTF

And he's a really funny, down to earth guy. Also, this is a great episode.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I hadn't realized that Drew had been in any other movies than New York Minute, and checking IMDB has been incredibly helpful:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Am I reading that wrong, or did Adam dump Lynette for a year?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Well I'll be. Somehow, I never knew that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Omnicarus posted:

Then they stayed friends for the year he hosed around, then they got back together and got married.

That blows my mind; somehow I never knew any of that.

Also, doesn't Adam constantly crack wise on callers who mention "remaining friends" with their exes?

• Locked thread