Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Chiming in as someone who grew up on late 90s era and only listened to a handful of ACS and Stryker-era Loveline. I don't think that initial Drew/Adam "spark" of the 90s will ever be re-captured, even if they get back together.

Does Adam still talk about how he and his friends used to sneak into a swank resort and fill their anuses from the water pumps? They would then get into water fights by shooting the absorbed water out of their asses.

Apparently you can form quite a jet stream from your sphincter that can go many many yards. Adam would talk about the Mexican standoffs with his friends have clenching all that water in their asses. I think they called it the "E" game (enema). he also said chunks and bits of poo would sometimes fly out. Drew was appalled and quickly stated that doing such was really bad for your system. In the next few weeks callers would report on how surprised they were at the amount of water you could fill your anus with and the velocity at which it shot out. Its much funnier if you hear it verbatim, I haven't found it on any of the archives yet.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

GreenNight posted:

What are some of these? I'm curious because I haven't heard Adam speak of it.

well I just listened to an old loveline for spotting for skeezy men, its anyone who works with metal "except for in an R&D capacity"

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
I would hate to be a Filipino, construction worker (mainly doing metals), from Hawaii dating a girl named Crystal with a girly voice that I met in junior college. With hippie parents.

say what you will about adam, but I prefer his equal opportunity hatred and self loathing miles above the douchey politness of Styker and Riki Rachtman before him. There's a vague low key smugness that a lot of younger radio guys have that isn't overt but just really annoying. maybe its just me. and adam is the antithesis of that.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 10, 2010

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

UltraRed posted:

You're setting your standards pretty low. Adam's a weird combination of self depreciation and self aggrandizing (do you see my dumb opinions? Well I followed them, and I'm a millionaire!). While I don't think everything's handed to him on a silver platter, I do believe that if he never met up with Kimmel he would be, at best, a regular caller on a radio show.

well at least emceeing roasts to the retiring master carpenters at the Union Hall somewhere in North Hollywood.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

BiscuitErsedRenton posted:

Caller: :holy:
Adam/Drew: :byodood:

:holy: Hi Adam and Drew, love your show.
:byodood: Thanks babydoll, what's your question?
:holy: I got my nipples pierced and I was wondering does that cause cancer?
:byodood: No.
:holy: Are you sure? My family gets breast cancer.
:byodood: No.
:holy: Well I heard...
:byodood: Drew what is it about our callers that makes me believe they never listen to the show?

Welcome back Loveline Stream.

countless conversations like this:

:eng99: Hmm I'm sensing some abuse or something going on in your childhood. Where's your father?

;-* My father? Uhhh he's in the living room.

:cheers: Hold on a minute sweetheart. Drew have you noticed our listeners are very concrete thinkers?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Instrumedley posted:

Heeeyyyhehuh well it's time to check the time, you know Drew whenever we get time I like to check the time. 11:36 and 15 seconds here, that's 23 minutes and 45 seconds away from the bewitching hour. My name is Ace Rockolla and this is my parter Dr. Drew, let's hop back on the phones.

Caller?

And I'll be a cop but you know what? I play by my own rules. and every once in awhile our big black sergeant will yell at us in his office. But I get results, even if I did ruin the commissioner's ball.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

EnsGDT posted:

you're gay

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

EnsGDT posted:

i love anal sex

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Rack posted:

Regarding Drew Drops, this has to be Anderson's second greatest night (after the papa roach Xmas fiasco).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKs8kLrYZHU

It's post-Adam, but it hardly matters here. Apologies if it's been posted recently and I missed it.

"Adam, Drew you are totally my heroes and I'm a huge fan. And uh (*Guest Star*) uh yeah you're cool too."

Typical Call:
-I'm sensing a lot of hostility, was there something wrong in your home life, you're not saying?

"No my past was totally regular. My parents are really average totally loving
family. I'm not like the other callers you guys normally get."

-Really? What about your dad?

"Oh he would just beat us sometimes."

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 7, 2010

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

EnsGDT posted:

I was bored so I put a spear through my penis.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
So whats the low down on the Loveline and/or Dr. Drew books out there? Are they a worthy companion to the show's 97-03 golden era, or are they just mercenary cash ins? The amazon reviews go all over the map.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Stryker had a certain smugness attached to his insecurities, which made him insufferable compared to adam's self-effacing self-aggrandizing. does psycho mike have that morning-DJ arrogance too?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Majorian posted:

One would think it shouldn't be too tough for them to pick up a decent comedian to fill in the spot. I'm still a little mystified that they didn't pick up one of the comics that filled in for Adam during his last couple weeks, like Daniel Tosh. DAG probably wouldn't have worked, given how difficult he apparently can be to work with, but they still had some folks in there that would have been lightyears better than Stryker or Psycho Mike.

Ira Glass

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Brekelefuw posted:

Am I the only person who hates the fact that Ira Glass talks on This American Life? I hate his voice with a passion.

two soft spoken, well-educated, agreeable secular Jews attempt to inform and bestow a sense of moral agency on a 15 year old stoned girl who can't stop loving 45 year old men

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Yes, I agree. In fact, I'm beginning to think about starting from 2000 again; the last time I listened through the archives, they lasted me for well over two years.

why not start even earlier, I personally prefer the 90s era calls, the host-caller dynamics are timeless and pretty much the same from 1996 to 2005.

i usually alternate an 90s era ep and a later one. someone had mentioned this before, but the callers from the 90s before Loveline got really popular are much more hosed up and less self-aware. a lot of the 2003 and later callers, clearly grew up with the show and are gushing fans, which I feel lowers the random, crapshoot feel of earlier era calls.

The pacing is much smoother in the later episodes, and digressions somewhat controlled. Unfortunately as time goes on Adam's bootstraps rants are also more frequent and start to sound like the unfunny, cringeworthy drivel on the ACS.

Early Adam, pointless anecdotes about living like a pathetic slob.
Later Adam, pointless anecdotes about celebrities.

piecing together every single episode of the Adam-Drew era should be a priority for today's archeologist.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Liface posted:

I agree, 1996 had some quality episodes that are WAY overlooked, and more of them are found every month.

Although one time I stumbled on one that was very early 1996 and Adam was actually caring about the show and acting interested in the guests. It was incredibly scary. Must have been from his first month or so solo with Dr. Drew.

http://mahalo.30.forumer.com/index.php?s=949a89bfb637d5408bedc80d9953ee04&showtopic=17527
I recommend visiting this thread from time to time, Giovanni posts the new episodes he has unearthed.

Thanks, I'm glad there are people still pursuing loveline archeology. I would gladly pay Westwood 2 money for complete years of episodes.

The other quality of the 95-97 era is to listen to Adams first experiences as a new celebrity and his outrage at things like not being played in some celebrity softball game and how he subsequently cursed out the manager. The irony is the more likable C-list 96 Adam wouldn't hate the B-list 2010 Adam at all, he'd be envious.

Liface posted:

Loveline is dead, guys. There's not a single person they could bring in to save it. Not even Adam, because he's horrifically unfunny nowadays.

Just keep listening to the old episodes. There's enough of them to keep you occupied for a long, long time.

Tom Arnold? He seems to have DAG's sensibilities but also less of an emotional wildcard. One of the more interesting aspects of Loveline is to see celebrities that "get it". There are also those that do, but don't seem to care. Or some take it too hard, The Darkness left (a lot of British guests seem uncomfortable), and Ben Stein in 98 spent the whole episode concerned but also stunned and horrified. Not to sound misogynistic, but its usually starlets that are the most annoying and don't seem to give a poo poo. The young dude actors and musicians at least occasionally shake off their stoned stupor to offer advice to some goony 15 year old.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 18, 2010

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

frobert blamble posted:

Can somebody recommend some good pre-2000 shows that are complete and recorded well? It seems like most of the recordings out there are <30mb, sometimes a lot less which leads me to believe they'r either incomplete or have a terrible bitrate.

http://www.lovelinedownloads.com/ll1998.htm

the ben stein, matt parker and trey as well as the DAG episode are quite good. You shouldn't avoid the incompletes, as most of the call themselves are pretty self contained. the "missing-end" ones are a little more frustrating cause occasionally they'll be a call that is cut off.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
http://www.lovelinetapes.com/shows/?id=1121&h=MGM2NWUwNGM

2-25-03

at 1:13.26 a 20 year old girl calls distraught about the ending of her relationship with a 35 year old singer/actor. adam, drew and kathy griffin of course mock this individual. then the caller reveals he is a celebrity, one that they would know. she talks to them off air for a second, and they do all believe her and know this celebrity VERY well. there are a few other clues littered about, do you guys know who her boyfriend is?

edit: im dumb, the lovelinetapes show summary gives up who it is

quote:

There is a very "Bizarre" call from Christina who is dating a mystery actor/musician who is 35 and she is 20, she is calling to ask why he dumped her.

Adam and Drew convince her to say the guys name and Anderson will bleep it out, she says it and it's bleeped but based on the clue given by Anderson and Kathy's statement that she used to date the guy as well, it's clearly obvious she is talking about Jack Black.

heh anderson

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 21, 2010

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Trivia Time...this has been mentioned a few times by Adam at all eras of his Loveline reign...where was the only place he went for a field trip in all of his schooling? Well there are 3 places, but there is the main one he frequently mentions...

He gets enraged everytime a rich private school kids tells of their extravagant field trips.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Grand Fromage posted:

A taco seasoning plant. I believe the entire class received free packets of taco seasoning at the end of the tour.

Yes Lawry's Seasoning Salt Plant! A 2002 caller said that she had also went on the trip and was offered free tacos during her time, which further upset Adam.

Then, Adam said they went to McDonalds and went behind the counter. The only other place was the LA Zoo.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
any rumors if drew's kids are going crazy? In an old loveline Adam made the comment that it wouldn't be more than few years before they called the show.

and here is the very first loveline host, bitter and poor turning on Drew

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/a-clockwork-orange/poorman-dr-drew-pinsky-cocaine-1/

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Zahgaegun posted:

These don't sound like outright denials. Just bluster.

"won't dignify that with a response" is generally even stronger than a denial?

I don't think its unsettling that Drew experimented a little when he was young, but to accuse him of consistent coked-out benders is unfounded and just sounds like a has-been spewing bitter grapes. Do some of you guys really think Drew leads some sort of "do as I say.." double life, while casually lighting up and taking a few snorts, while waggling his finger at everyone?

NotWearingPants posted:

I don't see why it would be a big deal. Wouldn't a little drug use at an earlier time just make Dr. Drew more credible?

I think knowledge and experience as a clinician outweighs "dude this one time I..." stories

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 8, 2010

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

The Senate posted:

No its hyperbole. But again, I understand where he is coming from.

you really think Dr. Drew is just exaggerating just for the kids, and he doesn't actually believe marijuana is addictive? This is not an issue on what WE believe to be true, but rather if we believe Drew practices what he preaches.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Judakel posted:

I don't think Adam realizes how much of a factor the sheer luck of meeting Jimmy was in providing him with all the opportunities he has had in his life. Even his ongoing success in broadcasting is largely based around the lucky fact that Drew plays such a natural straight-man and hardly a product of his own hard work given his attitude towards Loveline. The fanbase created during those years has been the main reason he has had a semi-successful career after Loveline at all. I am sure some loved his work afterwards on its own merits but they pale in comparison to those that prefer his work on Loveline.

This was all just sparked by one of his bootstraps rants. The way he talks about it makes it seem as if Adam honestly believes that there is more separating him from being dirt poor than just sheer luck. The tremendous talent that got him that sitcom he was working on perhaps? The Hammer has been the only halfway decent thing he has ever produced on his own and it is clear that by his own means he could not have accomplished even half of what he has accomplished in his life.

We go back in time and show 1997 D-list Adam how in 13 years his humor has turned into angry old man rants, and his amusing anecdotes about his poo-fliniging friends have turned into bland stories of B-list celebrities. Then we show him his 2005-2010 gross income. I don't think he would change a thing.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
I just can't get into the TACS. Why he doesn't realize that every radio guy from a hack in the smallest market to Rush Limbaugh does "angry rants".

The heart of Loveline, was the character analysis. It was like sitting at the mall with the two sharpest people watchers in the universe.

e:
im not sure if its been mentioned, but I just listened to the 1999 Pennywise episode where Fletcher barricaded himself in the sound booth, took drew and adam hostage and threatened to go to "Poo Poo City".

its a must listen if you guys havent heard it yet. the powerlessness in the voice of Adam trying to charm, and Drew trying to reason with this 6'6 300lb inebriated giant is hilarious.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 9, 2010

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Mustang Sally posted:

I listened to the Loveline shows as they aired originally and one thing that was repeated on those shows really stuck with me.

Adam and Drew, at various times and in different ways, repeated that if a father doesn't treat his daughter well, she'll grow up to be his nightmare. Don't take care of your daughter, you're sending her straight to the stripper pole, guys.

A woman is screwed up, think first "Where's her father? What did he do?".

the early, primary relationships leave the greatest impression on emotional development and colors interpersonal relations our whole lives. Woman are more affected than men.

The underpinnings of almost every call.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 9, 2010

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

WEH posted:

i dont get jokes

its ok, cause you know why? You play by your own rules!

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Omnicarus posted:

I only meant that some people in this thread seem to worship Adam, like a golden calf1 if you will. While they themselves lead continue their normal lives, they idolize Adam Carolla as an average man's avenue to straight forward, and occasionally crude, humor dealing with current events. This led me to put forward an idea that if they saw Adam in person they would experience a sudden sexualization of their idolization and respond by ejaculating/orgasming before they could control themselves. Since this is generally frowned upon by society, it would be embarrassing. I thought this would be funny since it was both a semi-hostile comeback to what I perceived as insults and incorporated the crude humor typically seen on the show. I am sorry if it did not translate well.

Edit: To further justify my attempt at making a joke, my previous joke that referenced Scooby-Doo2 seemed to go over rather well so I attempted to continue my streak and make another joke. I suppose I should consider my streak broken. :(

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Does anyone recall Adam's hierarchy of guys on the construction site?

Roofers and metal workers were down there, carpenters like Adam were somewhere in the middle. I don't recall the rest but its pretty extensive and parts of it frequently mentioned.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Lisa Dergan: you want a cardboard cutout for the radio room?
Adam: well not for the radio room...
Drew: oh no, he will desecrate your image i promise...
Lisa Dergan: no, no you wouldn't do that...
Adam: No way. No way I'd put a hole in it and take a coffee can full of lard, and then duct tape the can to the hole.
Drew: oh
Lisa Dergan: we just lost Drew.
Adam: It's something I said I wouldn't do. It be rude. I do apologize. but if you could overnight that..

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 22, 2010

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Adam: Your kids think I'm cool right?
Drew: Teah. They really think Stryker's cool.
Linkin Park: oh.
Adam: That puss? Just because he has a handful of hair gel and acts like he snowboards?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

LFoD posted:

So when are we going to start a loveline call in thread in E/N?

Steve is 18, never had sex, penis curves to the left. Wants to know if this is normal.

No, I was never abused. My family is totally normal. I just am really into sex.

Oh my uncle used to touch me when I slept, but I don't even remember it!

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 28, 2010

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Kingsbury posted:

I swear this forum has the world's dumbest posters.

HOW DARE YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

ascheapaschewinggum posted:

I just listened to the Will Arnett episode here and I like this.

I like having large amounts of stuff like this to listen to (insomnia, ahoy) but the archive is fairly intimidating and a 44gb torrent with two seeders is fairly intimidating.

Between which dates should I get? To listen to chronologically. If there's a better source (I don't mind donating for bandwidth) to get hold of them that'd be cool, too.

when it comes to the meat of interacting with the callers, you will not be able to distinguish 1995 from 2005. There is no reason to listen chronologically or rush through them, just take it easy and enjoy.

And remember good times and it takes all kinds.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 3, 2010

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Rockefeller posted:

I prefer to listen to them chronologically, I started in jan 2002 and up to feb 2003 now. It all kinda flows together over time and it's funnier for it.

I think its easier to hear the contrasts when I jump between episodes. i also don't want to have to wait X years to get to 2004 or whatever.

Why do a lot of you seem to avoid the 90s era shows? The dynamic and flow is the same throughout, and has the advantage of less "being a celebrity" anecdotes and rants by Adam.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 6, 2010

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Liface posted:

The audio quality from the new tape transfers is great and there are a lot more episodes up, you guys should give the 90s another try. There are also lots of episodes available now.

http://www.lovelinetapes.com/

1996 is a bit of a weird year. In the first part of the year Adam is REALLY energetic, almost like a real radio host. He definitely has a lot of Riki influence, even though Riki had already left at the end of 1995. Longer calls, no making fun of the callers, and really upbeat mood.

Then sometime (I haven't gotten to this point yet) he switches over to the Adam we know and love. I can't wait until I get to this so I can figure out when it is.

if you find the '96 episode where Adam first told the anecdote about : sneaking into a pool with his friends, pumping water up their asses, holding it, then forcibly ejecting (due to the strength of the sphincter muscle) their rear end water at each other, I would be highly indebted.

Even that story was not enough to stop drunk Fletcher in '99. The utter desperation and fear in Drew and Adam's voice trying to tell that story in order stop Fletcher from pooing on them... you are all missing such gold by not listening to 90s episodes.

ascheapaschewinggum posted:

The reason is really so I don't start repeating them. It makes more sense to me to plow through a long series of mp3s in order instead of just dipping in and out.

oddly enough the last 3 random episodes (like 97, 00, and 02) had Adam telling the exact same story about how he was ashamed to rent Asian porn because an older Asian man was right behind him looking at ebony porn.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 7, 2010

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Majorian posted:

That's the thing about it, though - you can tell in his heart of hearts he knows that the people who poo poo on Leno and lionize Conan are 100% right. He just can't bring himself to admit it because A, he's friends with Leno, and B, he has sand in his mangina over the "Late Night" lesbian incident.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever found a clip of that?

maybe he is just trying to be different and contrarian cause also his other media contemporaries: Kimmel, Stern and Norm are vehemently anti-Leno.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
http://www.whosdatedwho.com/celebrities/people/dating/drew-pinsky.htm

Like the High School

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

RitualConfuser posted:

Name: Drew Pinsky
Passions: Passion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

ChaosMonkey posted:

Good lord, Drew's arms are getting out of control.

"And not a trace of hair on his entire body. And here I am hairy as a Armenian carpet salesman"

• Locked thread