Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I listen to old Loveline episodes when I drive to work (one episode lasts me about two days, which I've figured out is the perfect listening rate so it never gets stale) and 2004-08-09 (no guest) came up today. The caller at the end (about 10-20 minutes left at the end) is the genuinely craziest guy I've ever heard call in. At first I thought he was just joking or something but they keep him on the line and it becomes obvious he's seriously mentally ill. They said bipolar combined with speed, which sounds about right. At first you can't understand a word he's saying but he eventually slows down to almost human speed... the episode is pretty good in general but that call just put it over the top for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Well, that link just made my 2 hour drive today much, much more enjoyable.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

jyrka posted:

There's a great call in the end of this with a 30 year old married woman who had no idea that guys masturbate a lot. I was listening to it in class just smirking whenever something funny was said but when this woman said "I just thought it was something guys do once or twice in their lives" I exploded with laughter.

Yeah, that was hilarious. The whole time she sounded like she didn't believe them that it was normal.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Did Carolla ever brought up that while he was in highschool he was recruited by a D1 (albeit 1-AA at the time) school for football on Loveline? It says on here that he was, although I don't know if it is accurate: http://www.realitytvworld.com/realitytvdb/wiki/Adam_Carolla

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I always figured the combination of having Dr Drew and Adam and hearing all the out-there calls the show got kind of took the guests out of their element, which made for great interviews.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

WouldDesk posted:

She likely does not receive oral as good as Adam though :colbert:
No one does though

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Drew isn't gone but there's a new cohost named Simone. She's basically like a bad guest on the show every night.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, if the show needed a female perspective they should have just had drew talk more.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

hiddenmovement posted:

Or hired any number of funny and insightful women who have been on the show over the years.

Who were some of the better ones? I pretty much exclusively listen to no-guest shows but I'm starting to run out of them.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
They've basically taken what made loveline awesome, that it was terrible radio (but still hugely entertaining), and ruined it. I don't really like Mike as a host compared to Adam, but he is ok. Drew is still Drew. Simone + the "question of the day" + every other change has really shown that the people that bought it had no idea why it was successful.

Ah well, there's always the archives.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The line at the end now is some variation of "in a world where it doesn't feel like anyone cares, we do."

So basically it's the opposite of Adam, which I think is what they were going for.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Adam is rolling in his swivel chair right now.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Honestly with the old episodes there is more or less always going to be enough for me to be entertained. Even when halfway through an episode I remember that I've listened to it at some point in the last four years I keep listening anyway. And I more or less only listen to no-guest shows; if I start listening to guest shows I've got enough for practically forever.

I listen to the last half hour or so of the new show sometimes when I'm driving to work, but it's just not good. I think that if they had Drew, Mike and less interference from above (eg: were allowed to play drops and do all the 'bad radio' things that made the show fun) it could still be entertaining. Not old school entertaining but still good. As it is now though, it's just painful most of the time.

edit: What you mentioned about the gay-marriage thing is another thing that strikes me listening to old shows. I'm 23 now so for most of my sex-having life plan-B has been available (at least where I lived) but listening to the shows back when there was a battle going on is enlightening. And it's obvious how society's view on gay people has changed. Not enough, but it's changed from a time when a guy that I would consider to be very reasonable (Dr. Drew) was making statements like that to now, where several states are legalizing gay marriage. So yeah, it's not great that he said that, but he was far from alone in thinking that at the time and it's great that he's come around. I also wonder how much his opinion was effected by the fact that he spends/spent a huge amount of time talking to abuse-survivor gay people as opposed to the more emotionally healthy from-the-womb gay people.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 23, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I liked it. The cursing was a bit jarring and there were only a couple calls but it was definitely a lot more loveline-like than anything else has been since Adam left the show. I'll definitely be sticking around and I hope they make more episodes regularly.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I think the new podcast is improving in quality pretty quickly, especially with the last episode where they took more calls (and didn't wait till the last third of the show to take calls.)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I just jab the +15 seconds button a dozen times or so at the beginning of each show.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hormones posted:

Not Loveline, but on the most recent episode of The Adam and Drew Show the guests are Adam's five year old twins and it's rather adorable :3:

Yeah it was pretty cute. They're their dad's kids.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Well he has a catchphrase already to go along with dad's "dig, dig, dig"

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Adam may have some dumbshit opinions on things but he's never said anything that really made him sound like he'd be a bad parent. If anything the years of listening to what happens to neglected kids and also his personal experience probably make him a pretty cool dad.

I enjoy the new podcast but man they need to take more calls and randomly talk a lot less.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Listened to the Judy Tenuta archive show and gee whizz what an awfully unfunny person. She has a CD called 'Attention, Butt Pirates And Lesbetarians' for god's sake. Also I don't think I've ever heard the word 'dyke' used so much on a Loveline show either, the 90s were weird.

Yeah, she was a really really horrible guest and not funny, at all. I stopped listening about halfway through because I just couldn't stand her.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I stopped listening to Adam and Drew too. The new loveline is (well, I haven't heard an episode in about two months) listenable but not that entertaining.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Advertising products like that is how most podcasts make money. Audible seems to pop up a lot on podcasts I listen to. I can't really fault them for trying to turn a profit, although I die a little inside every time I hear Drew advertising some brain game thing in exactly the words that aren't a medical guarantee.

They do take calls but the problem is (and someone in this thread said this way before me) idiot teenagers and young adults used to think of the show as a public service of some sort, and you'd just get the strangest/dumbest people calling in. Now it's mainly old fans of the show with less interesting topics talking to two jaded old guys. And I don't know if they stopped or not but the half hour long 'current news story' thing they do is terrible. Right now I'm deep into a couple history podcasts and I may try A&D show again after they're done but unless they improved drastically they just aren't that entertaining.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Hey, remember back when Adam would tell Drew over and over that if he let his daughter do dance (or gymnastics I can't remember which) she'd end up with an eating disorder?

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/dr-drews-daughter-opens-eating-disorder/story?id=22767889

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Well, it looks like she's taking care of herself now, so it's still a happy ending at least.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Adam's 'To Catch a Contractor' show is sort of entertaining in a cringeworthy way. I don't see it lasting more than a season though.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I just jam the "skip 15 seconds" button about a dozen times to get past the useless, spoilering intro.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Brekelefuw posted:

So tomorrow I hit Adam's final day on Loveline after deciding to go through every episode in order on lovelinetapes from the beginning of 1998. It took 6 years of listening to an episode every day at work, or a few episodes if I had a multi hour drive.
The only episodes I skipped were best of episodes and anything with Stryker.
What do I do with my life now?

Good news, you've forgotten most of the early episodes. Start over about a year in.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Brekelefuw posted:

I can't stand Giovanni or the podcast one stuff, which is why I stopped listening to Classic Loveline Podcast. Not sure if I want to suffer through it.

It's easy enough for me to mash the 15 second forward button about 20 times and get through his spoiling of any fake calls or whatever but yeah he's annoying as poo poo.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Surprised they're ending it that abruptly. I very rarely listened anymore unless I was driving at that time but it'll be weird for the show to be just gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

pzy posted:

Where's Dr. Drew?

Somebody dropped a nickle.

• Locked thread