Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome

Azzmo posted:

I called in for the 2002-01-23 Unwritten Law episode @ 0:41:35 (Chris). That was probably as nervous as I've ever been. Imagine; you're sitting there listening to the episode through the phone, alone in the basement and maybe playing PS1, and then suddenly wham you're on national radio talking to the people you idolize. I can't even listen to that episode because I sound like such a spaz, but that's probably symptomatic of a bigger issue ;)

I've been listening to episodes while I work out, and that one is literally (literally) next. Your spaz-ness will live on.

I discovered Loveline from the last thread, and I only regret that I didn't listen to it live when I was a kid. But it's still great 5 years later.

And listening to the 9-12-2001 show is just haunting.

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 29, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

AuntBuck posted:

Yeah, I don't get all the complaints. That was one of the best shows I've listened to in awhile.

Murdoc was pretty funny, but I honestly listen to the achieves to hear Adam and Drew and the callers. I don't mind guests being active, but that show was 90 minutes of Murdoc. I guess it comes down to what your ideal show is. I usually prefer No Guest shows.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

Ez posted:

Does anybody remember the episode where a teenager called in and said he doesn't masturbate because his father never showed him how?

That has to be one of my favorite Loveline moments. Anyone know which show it was?

Yeah, that's 05-28-2002 with David Arquette, call starts around 27 minutes in. It's great because Adam and David just mock this kid to high heaven.

I'm quick on the draw on this one because I just literally (literally) listened to this one two days ago, and it's still on my iPod. They were really on a tear around this period, some great shows.

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 24, 2007

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
I'm not too upset that I have to stay up and work on a paper, since I can listen to this while I do it.

But 2 minutes in and I remember why Stryker sucks.

3 minutes and he's yelling at Anderson. Awesome.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

frankenbeans posted:

While I'm in the area, 25/9/02 is awesome, it's a DAG show, and happened shortly after DAG split with his missus. He's just insane all the way through the show. He also makes a hilarious weeping noise which I need to go back and sample.

I swear, I made it up to this show this very morning. "At least your woman didn't sleep with HALF OF HOLLYWOOD!!!"
I really want to see that list of names.

I was also waiting to find the ultimate Virtual Adam show to come in here and recommended it. It's weird that I'm independently always keeping pace with this thread.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
I know this is an odd request, and I don't expect people to go searching. But I'm looking for a quote from Dr. Drew about how people aren't all that unique, and that dealing with trauma will manifest certain and clear signs in people. He'll usually say something to that effect when he's explaining how they can gamble based on someone's voice or story. So if you guys run across a show with one of those, I would appreciate if you would post the date.

Bonus points if it includes the bit about how it goes against the American notion that everyone is "special."

E: Just to be clear I'm not looking for one specific instance, just something in the area.

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 14, 2008

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

RitualConfuser posted:

They played the "no cannot have" song on the 2002-06-13 and 2002-11-26 episodes where SOAD was a guest but not on the 2002-01-10 episode. So, I am guessing it was somewhere between January and June of '02.

I managed to remember that this was a No Guest (Bumpon10s of course with the assist), and I found it for you! 3-25-02. He starts ranting at 23:50 (I actually remembered the call that leads up to this), they leave it for a while, and they start the rocking segment around 47:40. Fantastic rant. E: My favorite part has to be "IT'S GOAT BASED." Cracks me up every time.

It's been odd going back and realizing how many calls and shows I do remember. I listened to a lot of shows while I was driving over Spring Break: I swear I can remember the BP in rural Virginia I stopped at while I was listening to the June SOAD show. Or I can place where on my walking route I was when I heard a particular call.

One show I want to find, I'm pretty sure from late 01/early 02, had a call from this woman (policewoman maybe?) who was paranoid about AIDS. She was forcing every man she would date to get an AIDS test, and would force them to show her the paperwork. Then some other people called up parroting AIDS statistics even as Adam and Dr. Drew tried to argue what those statistics meant. I'm pretty sure it was a No Guest too.
Hearing this was early in my Loveline experience, and I've no doubt heard some crazier folks. But it's a call that stands out for me for some reason.

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 1, 2008

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

Graham Wellington posted:

- Jay Mohr, 2001. Both Mohr and Carolla are at the top of their game here. Mohr laments the fact that Drew and Adam don't laugh at his jokes, which just sets up more comedy and the rest of the show has a lot of good callbacks.

I'm really going to have to disagree with this. Mohr was bombing so hard that this has to be my most painful Loveline experience. I remember Adam accusing Jay of doing "bits" instead of actually listening to the calls or coming up with anything fresh, and I really agree with that. Of course Adam does this with his usual humor, but I really sensed some anger over using the show to practice his stand-up routine. You're right, the show does pick up: when Drew, Adam, and Anderson start mocking how terrible a guest Mohr has been.

So while it had its moments, I certainly wouldn't call Mohr "being at the top of his game," and I can't say I really enjoyed listening to it. I think there's a lot more genuine hostility there than you picked up on.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

Dr. Who posted:

How can I put Loveline on my Ipod? I download it and put it in Itunes, but when I try to put in the Ipod, it won't let me.

Can you go into detail about what "won't let me" means? Error message? Can't find them? I almost always listen on my iPod, so it's not an inherent issue; they are just mp3s. Under your iPod menu is "Sync only checked songs and video" checked? If it is, are the episodes in iTunes checked?

One thing I always do is add an album title for my episodes in Itunes since I sort by album, maybe you just to need something similar to find them yourself?

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
I like DAG in small doses, but he does run a little tiring for me. For me the beauty of Loveline starts with the callers; DAG shows feature far fewer callers and far less time actually talking about them. In short I think DAG can be pretty funny, but him on everynight would end up being pretty unbearable.

The DAG show where they spent the first 30 minutes talking about how his long-time girlfriend was cheating on him (I think that was it) had its moments but it was also rather uncomfortable, and I wanted them to move on with the show.

EDIT: I guess I feel the same way with the Lightning Round, it can produce some good humor but I easily empathize with Drew as he tries to slog through the last segment.

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 18, 2008

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
So I was flipping through the radio tonight and I came across the start of Loveline. It was a Stryker and Dr. Bruce show, and Stryker's big lead-up story (I think) was that he went out last night and he then gave his friend 3 dollars and then he was out of cash when he got back to his car. He wasn't even angry about anything, he was just "welp I guess I'm kinda absent minded!"

Terrible. I just had to turn it off, and I wonder how many kids that could use some decent advice will do the same

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
I've been listening to the October-November 2002 shows lately, so remember to perform the perfect receiving oral sex position

You know, lean back, maybe a sigh or two, but by and large stay motionless. It takes a master to get it right

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
I never really listened to TACS because while I loved Loveline for Adam, I loved him in relation to Drew and the hosed up callers. The more standard stuff never really grabbed me. But anyway, what happened? I gather this was not too unexpected; were the ratings bad or turmoil or what? E: Or maybe it was unexpected, I was just going off the folks in that link

And while I doubt Adam will make it back to Loveline, it would be amazing. I missed out when the old dynamic was live, so I want some real time experiences.

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 18, 2009

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
The Iraq War rant was pretty bad. I don't remember what since I had to fast forward through it, but I remember it being along the lines of "If you think we shouldn't invade Iraq you are a traitor and need to get out"

Again, I don't remember the specifics, maybe I'm way way off base

EDIT: /\ Yeah it was on the eve of the invasion, and it wasn't a rare opinion in the day, it's just rough to listen to at the present. I just remembered that he did make fun of people who were saying there might not be WMD's, calling them pussies and all that

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 31, 2009

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
I still listen to the podcast occasionally but I've pretty much given up on it. Adam's a funny enough dude and the podcast isn't bad per se but I really prefer him with Drew and drops and callers. Couldn't get into TACS and can't get into this.

Welp, good luck charging for this Ace Man

UltraRed posted:

He's soliciting for the advice he wants to hear. Depressing.
Yeah. Even if I agree with Adam often enough he needs a guy to just level with him straight and tell him to shut up (Goddammit)

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 16, 2009

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Well, I'm not sure if Anderson alone can provide the kind of balance to Drew that the show needs, but at least Loveline may be worth listening to again. Thinking about it, it may work out pretty well.

And maybe... maybe this opens the door for when Adam's CBS deal runs out~~~

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Can you really blame him though, I mean DAG is funny but he's taxing for me to even listen to. Can you imagine trying to help all those people and DAG spends the first 40 minutes of a show complaining how his girlfriend cheated on him

EDIT: Yay, my local affiliate didn't dump Loveline

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 5, 2009

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Truly excellent news.

Anyway, I was hoping for a little help. I was talking to one of my favorite professors who is leaving, and she mentioned that she used to listen to Loveline back in the day. And she mentioned one bit that I think I remember, but am hoping to find. It's a girl who calls in and she's got the whole stock of Loveline problems. And Adam goes "Well, I don't do this often... but perhaps you should find Jesus Christ?" I wanna say I've heard it lately, so its perhaps the second half of 2002? Anyone, if anyone knows what show that's from I would appropriate it.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I was pretty impressed that they only took 9 calls on Adam's first night, but the fact that they managed to take only 4 calls last night is utterly amazing to me.

Since I'm listening to Adam's run on the show from the beginning I'm really amazed at the difference between callers from the late 90's shows to the shows now. I don't think there's been any callers worthy of betting on in any of the 2009 shows I've heard. I'd like to think that parents just stepped things up a notch and there are less kids from the next generation of LL callers that have had these issues in their past, but my guess is that they probably have ended up on the internet rather than listening to late night radio and thus aren't getting the pill inside the gainsburger to use Adam's analogy that might lead them to seek out some help rather than act out.

Let's be honest, Loveline is a lot less relevant now than it used to be. I didn't really listen back in the day but I knew what the show was and who Dr. Drew and Adam were. I doubt that's really the case for today's teens. As such we're really not getting the cream of the hosed up cases

Also REAL TALK I'm really not feeling Adam right now, of course his ego is key to his persona but he really needs to get over himself a little. Maybe once the sitcom fails (I didn't realized it got picked up [it sounds terrible])

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
But you see the problem is that these dumb rants are becoming far more common and are very rarely funny anymore! Back in the day it was easier to deal with the occasional rant about deporting all the sandpeople because that wasn't the entirety of his game. Now it is.

I don't take these personally. I just find him pretty much unlistenable as of late. And the echo chamber that is the podcast is only making it worse. WOAH I DON'T FIND ADAM HILARIOUS AT ALL TIMES I MUST BE A PUSSY THEN HUH

EDIT: Oh and before I get a "well if you dislike him so much stop listening you DUMB LOSER," I pretty much have

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 9, 2009

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Nah old Lovelines are actually still entertaining I think I'll stick around

I usually like Adam. Just not the current one who's still stuck as a morning radio jockey

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
That's a lot of spazz for one studio

If they get some callers in its gonna own

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
poo poo just got loving real

Really it doesn't matter if he's right or wrong, what matters is that he hasn't been funny about it in a long time. I could almost put up with the post 9/11 rants as while they were terrible and short-sighted they at least had some clever jabs in them

In short:

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
I can certainly find the humor in the Mohr episode but it's still perhaps the most painful LL episode I've ever heard. Worse than the one with PLAN B IS AN ABORTION DRUG lady. Worse than the crazy rear end vampires

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
While I listened to that episode like two years ago, I just couldn't stand those guys. Even the Murdoc thing got really really old for me after like 20 minutes. Honestly the 2nd worst guests I can recall off the top of my head (the 1st being that first Jay Mohr one)

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Anderson owns, the people who hate on him because he doesn't ride Adam's dick enough or whatever are silly

Also does anyone know what episode the "HOW TALL IS THE GODDAMN DOOR" bit was from, or better yet a link to said clip

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
DAG really really owns in moderate doses but having him on all the time would cause any show to devolve into a largely unfunny and ultimately pointless circlejerk

So yeah he'd be a perfect fit for the podcast

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

GuitarJunkie posted:

Adam misses the mark and goes on uncomfortable tangents every now and then, but I'd listen to his poo poo over any local morning zoo bullshit anyday.

Adam's been pretty much on the exact same level as local morning zoo bullshit ever since he left Loveline

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
I listen to LL chronologically and I finally hit the end of the Miriam calls. At a certain point I was Fastforwarding to them because I knew they were fake and they were still creepy. Man that girl was nuts, calling up social services to help her made up character? Wish Drew and Adam had notice sooner but like they said it's hard to call bogus on stuff like that

Another part of listening to this period is that it has raised my appreciation for Blood Sweat and Tears

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

whatsabattle posted:

Paul Rodriguez (aka 80s George Lopez) is another one, he seems like just a crappy stand up comic but then he was talking about being in the navy and a dude dying in his arms and poo poo.

Not long ago I listened to an 03 episode with him and I thought it was really terrible, I mean I guess he was trying but he was giving out bad advice left and right and wasn't funny in the slightest

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
A few weeks ago I was listening to an episode from ~May-June 2003 and Adam went something to the effect of "we're not supposed to but we have to gamble on this one." Wouldn't surprise me if someone up top told them to cut it out

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Actually Anderson owns and during their arguments (at least up through the end of 03 that I have listened to) Adam is usually a big baby

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

Ez posted:

There actually was a call very simmilar to this that got on the air. I can't give an episode date or anything, but some kid called up with a Germany or Florida and it went something like this:

"Ok, Germany of Florida. There's this guy, and he decides to take a bunch of people from a ceratin race, and like, kill them all. He even built big ovens to kill them even faster. Germany of Florida?"

I dont remember any specifics of what was said, but it was along those lines. Drew and Adam didn't even catch on to the joke until the end.

I'm not the only one that remembers this right?

November 30, 2003, About 59 minutes in

"Yeah he actually did it. I actually think a world war started over it"

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
I'm glad I downloaded and burned that huge torrent years ago

Although I see Loveline Superfan Giovanni has a bunch of pre-2000 stuff now, gotta get on that. Is the sound quality listenable?

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
In late 2003/early 2004 Adam gets called up for Jury Duty, and after week+ of deliberation claimed that he was juts going to skip it and pay a fine

Was there any resolution to that?

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Oh no sorry, I meant he deliberated on the show with Drew about if he should go in or not

Confusing word choice on my part

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
That episode was pure gold and its a shame they didn't save every one as a drop

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

EnsGDT posted:

...Jack that dork.

I wish Jack That Dork would have become more of a regular thing

I would take them playing JtD over Germany or Florida

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
I think another reason Adam reflects on the Darkness so poorly, although he may not cognitively remember this part, is that their press briefing, which he read part of on air, was filled with stuff more or less like "The Darkness wants to promote new ways of positive thinking for the next generation"

Meanwhile, here was a change to really try to help the next generation and promote awareness and all that good stuff and they just peace out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
The thing is that I would gladly pay out the rear end for access to official archives that went back a long time if such a thing existed

• Locked thread