Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nemo posted:

Obviously it's used well, because we've had like half a dozen people swear it actually came from a female guest when Anderson dropped it.

Are you a Mormon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

UltraRed posted:

You're fat.

You're a lesbian!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

CaptainViolence posted:

human being, better run.

Look motherfucker I'm tellin' you!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

On the American car subject, Adam spends the first two segments or so of the June 5th TACS talking in great detail about why he hates them, and how they've improved since foreign competition eviscerated the American car industry. If anyone wanted detail, there you go.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Malachi Constant posted:

They mentioned on Behind The Unibrow that they're all going on vacation for a while, so it's probably a repeat.

Possible. Drew and DAG were on June 6th.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Get the podcast, they keep shows up for two months or so.

And just so you know, DAG was on for about an hour (not counting commercials) and Drew was only on for the last ten minutes or so, but it's still fun to have them there. On the May 12th show, DAG is in almost the entire time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Was the May 12th show the time Theresa almost cried because of DAG?

Yeah. I think the same thing happened the time before that, too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I'd love to see some statistic for number of listeners when Adam left loveline. I've tried finding some of this stuff to no avail.

I don't know any statistics, but my local station that played Loveline dropped it within about six months of Adam leaving.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Adam's not going back. TACS is basically CBS Radio's flagship show now, and the ratings keep climbing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I also just saw the movie and it was great. Everything you've heard on the radio is true--way better than any Hollywood comedy in many years, R rating doesn't make any sense, very funny. It was good. I actually liked it. Adam was likeable!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nemo posted:

I love Joel McHale. He'd have been a great replacement for Adam, but I'm glad he's on to bigger and better things than doing a radio gig every night until midnight.

Especially since it gives him time to do TACS every Friday. When he and Adam were doing the black preacher bit I thought I was going to suffocate from laughter.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ultimos posted:

I actually agree with you guys, I specifically mean I haven't heard a LOVELINE with Adam that I didn't like. I wasn't crazy about TACS when I listened to it off and on a year ago, but I've heard it's gotten better.

These days I think it's as good, if not better than Loveline. The first year was a little rough, it seemed like Adam didn't have much control. Then there was the Year of the Bonaduce, which got old very quickly. Now it's right on target.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Graham Wellington posted:

I dunno how it came about, but I can imagine it's pretty simple: someone brought up the throat singing, they played a clip of it a few times, then someone remarked that it sounded like Bonaduce. Laughter ensued, and thus everytime he's mentioned they play that clip.

It was from one of the early Music Mondays. I think it was bad songs to have sex to, and the Tuvan throat singing was one of them. Then it got compared to Bonaduce's voice, and every few days Adam would have conversations with virtual Bonaduce, represented by the throat singing drops. Now they mention something that reminds Bryan of Bonaduce, usually in a negative way (like Adam bitching about fake Christians or a Napoleon complex joke), and in comes the throat singers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Alexandr posted:

After years of experience on the show, they realized that a lot of the crappiness in the callers' lives is due to their upbringing, and that Jews and Asians TYPICALLY have extremely stable and strong families that preclude them from such terrible lives.

Wait a minute, but everyone's exactly the same. You can't judge. No differences at all. The prisons have just as many Jews as any other group.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

http://www.grandfromage.net/SA/

Five Twelve and door in that directory should be those two bits.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That episode is genius but not a good introduction. But I love DAG and have a special folder just for him, so I don't have to hunt around when I'm in a DAG mood.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I really just don't get Deaf Frat Guy. There are occasional good jokes in there, but they really seem to love him in a way that is beyond me. Maybe the fact that I live around real (but not deaf) frat guys all day kills the joke, and people out of college find it more amusing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

CornbeefAndCabbage posted:

Why am I the only one here whose never been annoyed by Teresa? I just attribute her sensitivity to her lovely childhood. I find it interesting to listen to someone who's going through those stages.

I also don't understand the Teresa hate. She was somewhat annoying at first, but she's grown into her role nicely.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

CaptainJuan posted:

When I was originally listening to the show on the radio, I remember a bit Adam did sometimes where he'd pretend to be like a fortune teller or something, and say really really obvious things followed by "Yes?"

Anybody know any episodes with this? I remember hurting myself laughing.

That was my favorite bit on the Man Show, but I don't remember him ever doing it on the radio.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Adam on his own isn't that good (probably why he hates his stand-up days), but give him someone to play off of and he turns golden. That's probably part of why his sidekicks never bother me, except Bonaduce since he steamrolled all over Adam.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Adam saying he's going to bring in Drew as a guest host excites me more than cake.

Especially with Drew's daytime show cancelled... maybe they'll just get back together for this permanently. :swoon:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The best veal or venison: http://www.grandfromage.net/SA/Witches%20And%20Venice.mp3

(my hosting)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Well, he came up with the idea. If CBS tries to turn it into the same old crap I doubt he'll do it, but if he thinks he can do something with the format that plays to his strengths, then he will.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My station dropped Loveline about six months after Adam left. I don't know big numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened elsewhere.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Paul Kersey posted:

On a totally unrelated note, is anyone else watching Dancing with the Stars solely for DAG?

I will. :smith: I did for Adam. Fortunately there's some insane person who puts the episodes on Youtube split up by person, so you can just watch DAG and skip the rest of the poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have a bunch of my favorites uploaded here: http://www.grandfromage.net/SA/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'd say worst gas, Papa Roach tech trouble, and DAG's drugs as kid names are the top of that group.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's been getting better, I agree that it's some sort of recording problem. They were just using headsets before, now that it's huge I imagine they'll get some proper equipment soon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I was groaning when I saw Lynn and Alex, but they reeled it in a lot compared to their ACS appearances and I actually found it very interesting. All of them have been that way, when Adam gets to just interview people the way he wants to the product is great. I hope he can get in some of the great ACS guests like Ken Burns or Richard Branson.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

quote:

2009.03.24ACP.mp3.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

This message has become my life. What the gently caress? I've had no trouble until yesterday, but resuming worked then... today's podcast is simply impossible to download, I've tried dozens of times. It always fails with that message. Is it their problem or mine?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My god, Donny looks like the 70s personified.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

He has a point, but his larger point that you shouldn't give a poo poo unless it affects you personally is grating. I realize my personal life isn't likely to be radically different between Obama and McCain, but there's more to the world than me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Given the size of his fanbase, he could charge $5 a year and easily cover all his expenses plus serious profit. I'd have no problem with that. If he gets greedy and wants $20 a month, I imagine the collapse in his audience might get him to tone it down.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Phone posted:

I just listened to the Calacanis podcast. It was really good, but loving hell did Adam piss me off at the end with not buying into the whole advertising thing. I think that they need to sit down Adam and loving tell them that advertising on podcasting is taking a 50cal sniper rifle approach to advertisements and that companies do pay out.

I think he's still looking at it in radio terms, where the advertisers do dictate content to a large extent. He's reluctant because he doesn't want to be censored, and I don't think he understands that internet advertising isn't going to censor him.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Part of it is strange because their rates are so low. And it ruins their argument that taxes kill business when you notice that the most productive economic time in our country was also when the tax rates were the highest... corporations paid the majority of all taxes and the rich were paying like 70%.

I don't think that more taxes = prosperity, but clearly it doesn't hurt the economy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Agreed. I don't know how Adam managed to be in radio for 15 years without knowing a thing about audio.

The same way race car drivers know nothing about cars, maybe.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Donny doesn't seem too bright, but I love when he starts laughing like a hyena in the background. My favorite was when someone asked Adam a family question, in the "Don't your parents have pictures of you?" vein and Donny just went into hysterics. It's one thing when Adam does, but having the independent verification was just fantastic to me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Twobits posted:

That being said, I'm insanely psyched that Adam is going to be a guest for a week. One thing, though, didn't he say that he can't get paid for anything because of his contract with NBC (or some other company)?

Yeah, he can't do any paid radio until his contract runs out at the end of the year, but guesting isn't paid.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fledgling Gulps posted:

C'mon, cut the dude some slack. He spent high school painting a mural of a Ford Bronco on the side of the tard bungalow.

Oh, I like Donny. Adam and one of his old high school buddies bullshitting always makes for good listening. I just roll my eyes at the New Age Jew poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bolek posted:

His argument, that I have heard numerous times on his show, for "Why they hate us?" has nothing to do with imperialism or hegemony and everything to do with "They're jealous/They hate our freedoms". That is probably one of his most ridiculous views, and again seems to come from a basic lack of knowledge.

Every time he starts into that I want to call and try to educate him a bit, but I don't think he'd listen. I'm a little surprised really, he's not educated but our issues in the ME started during his lifetime, I would've thought he noticed the massive difference. Iran was a reasonably friendly westernized democracy until they took over BP and we installed the Shah. Sigh.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 22, 2009

• Locked thread