Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
LoL if anyone gets laid playing your repertoire it isn't due to the piano haha

And Liszt is literally the definition of a pianist getting laid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
maybe a lot of you are already watching this, but i just stumbled across it recently. the tonebase youtube channel has some really neat videos if you're interested in classical piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LHYBgXg0OI

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

who’re y’all’s fave youtubers for contemporary piano—pop, rock, jazz, theatre, etc?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I really like Aimee Nolte. Her stuff is way above my head currently but I watch it aspirationally.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Not strictly contemporary, but I just discovered Lionel Yu the other day and he likes to do a lot of remixes and arrangements of classics and modern pieces, and his embellishments are dramatic and over the top in exactly the ways that I love.

Turn on CC for commentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9J7qGBoOnQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmeCK9p8M4k

Also re: the question about songs to play at parties, I don't have any specific song recommendations, just know the audience, and know the difference between songs you play to impress and ones you play for everyone to vibe and have fun.

E:

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 19, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bought myself a MIDI keyboard, Nektar SE25. Just wanted something small that I could play around with and record, and add another instrument to the guitar, and drum pad I have been using. Been making music for fun, and I lean heavily towards enjoying making heavy metal. Was wondering if I could get recommendations for plug-ins for keyboards that might go well for that genre? I have Bitwig, and Logic Pro if that matters. I'm very new to all of this, so I might be asking stupid questions!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I said come in! posted:

I bought myself a MIDI keyboard, Nektar SE25. Just wanted something small that I could play around with and record, and add another instrument to the guitar, and drum pad I have been using. Been making music for fun, and I lean heavily towards enjoying making heavy metal. Was wondering if I could get recommendations for plug-ins for keyboards that might go well for that genre? I have Bitwig, and Logic Pro if that matters. I'm very new to all of this, so I might be asking stupid questions!

check in here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3459870&perpage=40&pagenumber=102#pti15

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you! That ended up being what I needed. The last page had exactly what I was looking for.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I said come in! posted:

Thank you! That ended up being what I needed. The last page had exactly what I was looking for.

:cheers:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
After a detour into Guhl's Keyboard Proficiency, my teacher has decided to pick up Mikrokosmos again at exercise 31. It's a fairly straightforward canon but the new twist is accents played by one hand but not the other.

It's so hard. I thought staccato/legato hand independence was tricky but I am going to be fighting this for a while.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
My SO and I just bought A FREAKIN PIANO!!

It's so great to play on this when all we had a was a cheap-ish electronic keyboard. I really like the size, it plays amazing, sounds a tiny bit thinner than a full upright but the action is fantastic.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Awesome. Since it's Modele Mignon, you should play the Schumann piece.

I am negotiating SO approval for an upright, but it's likely a year away at best.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Colonel J posted:

My SO and I just bought A FREAKIN PIANO!!

It's so great to play on this when all we had a was a cheap-ish electronic keyboard. I really like the size, it plays amazing, sounds a tiny bit thinner than a full upright but the action is fantastic.
Hell yeah, very nice!

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Albinator posted:

you should play the Schumann piece.

I'm very much a beginner, but I'll print it out and work towards it :) looking at the sheet music it doesn't actually seem that complicated but once I'm at the keys everything breaks down.

For now I've been getting some headway towards Christmas with Nutcracker : https://www.pianosongdownload.com/Dance%20of%20the%20Sugar%20Plum%20Fairy.pdf

I can play the first page at like 40 bpm so that's that.

I have an actual question though : in measure 8, should I be playing the right hand note sequence "without moving my hand"? i.e:
- play the G+B with thumb + middle finger
- play the A+C with index + ring
- play the E with pinky

That allows not moving my hand at all but I need to think ahead when I get there and that's really hard! The alternative would be to play the G+B and the A+C with the same fingers and move them up and down.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
You're going to be "moving your hand" regardless since they're all staccato. But if you mean moving fingers off the keys to other keys, it doesn't matter. Do whichever is comfortable for you. Without sitting at a keyboard, my brain says it makes more sense to just play both 3rds with 1 and 3.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Anyone want to speculate on why certain keys are noticeably more worn down on this organ?

This is the 1741 Silbermann organ in the St Thomas church in Strasbourg. Mozart played it in 1778. I noticed the keys around middle C in the middle rack (? I know almost nothing about organ terms) going from G to A are very worn down, especially D for some reason.

Just curious, is there an obvious music theory explanation for why these keys were used so much?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Marx Headroom posted:

Anyone want to speculate on why certain keys are noticeably more worn down on this organ?

This is the 1741 Silbermann organ in the St Thomas church in Strasbourg. Mozart played it in 1778. I noticed the keys around middle C in the middle rack (? I know almost nothing about organ terms) going from G to A are very worn down, especially D for some reason.

Just curious, is there an obvious music theory explanation for why these keys were used so much?

Those are the keys for In A Gadda da Vida.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Pianoteq 8 is out, for those so inclined. 25% off until November 28th for those who haven't bought it yet or want to pick up some new instrument packs.

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy
If a lead sheet reads G6 followed by E-7, aren’t those just different ways of describing the same notes? Is the idea that G should be in root for the sixth chord?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Sauzer posted:

If a lead sheet reads G6 followed by E-7, aren’t those just different ways of describing the same notes? Is the idea that G should be in root for the sixth chord?

yes

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm trying to learn this simple Holy Night version :

https://www.pianosongdownload.com/O%20Holy%20Night.pdf

Now for the bass pattern

There are no indications for fingers, I've instinctively been playing it as 5-2-1-2-1-2, essentially crossing the index finger over to play the high E. Is this how it should be done, like when crossing the fingers over the thumb doing scales?
I'm asking because while the movement is not that unnatural, and seems quite logical, playing it a lot becomes kind of painful at the base of my thumb. I don't mind playing it a little bit every day to build up the strength/dexterity, but I don't want to injure myself.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Anyone got any recommendations for decent books? My goal is to dink around with Ableton to make digital music more than anything, but I wouldn't mind learning by playing more traditional piano so to speak. I had lessons as a kid eons ago so I can read notes a bit and can play some basic stuff but I want to start at the very beginning.

I tried the sample of https://www.amazon.com/Piano-Book-Adult-Beginners-Technique/dp/0692926437 a year or so ago and I recall enjoying it a lot since it is pretty straight forward. But I didn't buy it since the kindle version is AWFUL. It is almost impossible to see. But now that Amazon has opened up in my country I can buy the physical version. So I was thinking of doing that unless anyone has any better suggestions.

I thought of getting a Yousician subscription again also but that may be heresy around these parts. (You can have a pure note view so you don't just rely on memorizing which colors correspond to which fingers etc) But I do recall it helping, only problem is that stuff like that don't let you just view the god damned notes without starting a session in the game. So you can only play songs within the application itself since you can't practice memorizing songs.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 25, 2022

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Colonel J posted:

Now for the bass pattern

There are no indications for fingers, I've instinctively been playing it as 5-2-1-2-1-2, essentially crossing the index finger over to play the high E. Is this how it should be done, like when crossing the fingers over the thumb doing scales?
I'm asking because while the movement is not that unnatural, and seems quite logical, playing it a lot becomes kind of painful at the base of my thumb. I don't mind playing it a little bit every day to build up the strength/dexterity, but I don't want to injure myself.

that's a good fingering. the pain might be because you're holding down the C with your thumb while you're playing the E instead of releasing it, but hard to tell without seeing; can you post a vid?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Any of my digital piano heroes encountered this? It's really putting a damper on my clout farming.

https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1600265904620593153?t=2ZE_kRr_GGkbnw83VX-Smg&s=19

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Maybe try plugging the USB cable into a computer and recording into Audacity, or using an audio recording app on your phone? That way you could at least look at the waveform and see if it's clipping or dropping out or whatever. The audio over USB is PCM so there really shouldn't be "distortion" introduced by the cable, except maybe outright drop-outs.

That fuzzing also sounds kind of like what happens to a piano through Zoom when background noise cancellation is turned on (in the Zoom app, though, so maybe not applicable).

e: I assume you have tried this but double check your gain settings and try turning down the volume on the piano too

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 8, 2022

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

Any of my digital piano heroes encountered this? It's really putting a damper on my clout farming.

https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1600265904620593153?t=2ZE_kRr_GGkbnw83VX-Smg&s=19

I don't want to be the guy, but have you tried rebooting everything? Like unplug and turn off everything and restart

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Did full reboots of everything. Tried it with another phone and the problem did not persist (though there was a new issue I'm pretty sure is a busted-old-phone problem). Running a cable to my PC and looking at the waveform was a good suggestion, I'll try that.

The piano itself doesn't give you any user-facing control of the digital output I've been able to find, not even volume - the volume slider does nothing when sending audio via USB.

I'm thinking it's some sort of Pixel 7 jank that'll magically clear itself up via a system update, or never clear up at all because Google.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sounds like clipping to me. Chances are your piano has an active amplifier before the output, while generally mics are passive/unamplified. This means that the mic input expects a much lower volume and it actually can't handle the amplified signal.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Crystal clear in Audacity. Phone's doing something. Thanks!

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Have you tried turning Bluetooth off on the phone? I've had issues with sound clipping like that before because there were multiple audio-in devices vying for attention (in my case it was an Xbox gamepad and a bluetooth headset) - turned one off and the other worked fine

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for bossa nova for an early intermediate player?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm looking for a 'starter' 61/76-key digital piano/keyboard with touch-sensitive keys and a midi output- I do not have the space for a full-sized digital piano. My budget is about $200 used. Mainly I'm looking for a list of possibilities so I can make a watch list on eBay.

So far I'm looking at the Roland GO:PIANO, any other recs?

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

Colonel J posted:

Now for the bass pattern

I'd do 5-3-2-1-2-3

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hi, I spent 12 years learning classical piano when I was a kid and then aggressively never touched one from high school until a couple years ago, and now that I have space I want to get a semi-decent weighted 88 key that can both play on its own and also interface with a computer/synthesizer for when I want to screw around in nontraditional ways. I'm thinking of the korg D1 because people are positive about the keybed and it has a DIN MIDI out, is there a better option in that price range or should I be good picking that one up?

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

As long as you're OK plugging your own speakers into it. Which might not be a big deal at all, the speakers that others in this price range have are generally pretty trashy, but it is an extra step to be aware of.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Hi, I spent 12 years learning classical piano when I was a kid and then aggressively never touched one from high school until a couple years ago, and now that I have space I want to get a semi-decent weighted 88 key that can both play on its own and also interface with a computer/synthesizer for when I want to screw around in nontraditional ways. I'm thinking of the korg D1 because people are positive about the keybed and it has a DIN MIDI out, is there a better option in that price range or should I be good picking that one up?

Also look into Yamaha similar offerings. They have a cult following and are great products.

I'd echo the comment above about onboard speakers etc.

I have a Casio PX-560 that I love so much I can't stand it. Touchscreen, weighted keys. It's....blue. Give Casio a look too.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i bought a yamaha p125 in july and I’ve been taking lessons and recently started working my way through some burgmuller

i like my little digital piano a lot, but i saw a youtube that said it’s really only suitable for beginners and after maybe 2 years you’ll need something better. how much truth is there to that? i’d be kinda bummed out if it’s super accurate!

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

jesus WEP posted:

i bought a yamaha p125 in july and I’ve been taking lessons and recently started working my way through some burgmuller

i like my little digital piano a lot, but i saw a youtube that said it’s really only suitable for beginners and after maybe 2 years you’ll need something better. how much truth is there to that? i’d be kinda bummed out if it’s super accurate!

I bought a P-105 in 2013 that I still play every day. I run it to VSTs in my computer, but the action has held up solid. No interest in replacing it yet.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
hey pianists, cross posting this from the Guitar thread! we're all selling off our instruments and signing up for piano lessons after seeing this video

just kidding, hope you all are enjoying your pianos and piano-kins :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Does anyone have anything for/against the Yamaha DGX670B 88-key Arranger Piano?

It seems like a great instrument because I play a bunch of other instruments so the recording/inbuilt rhythms seem ideal for accompanying myself + i've been heavily practicing the piano and want something with more of a piano feel.