Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glassonion
Jan 7, 2008

by Fistgrrl
How I learned piano. Im not like a jazz pianist but i can make some nice compositions with reason.

What I did... Before picking up the piano I have been playing guitar. So I have some musical knowledge and background with scales and chords.. etc...

I went out and bought a midi keyboard the axiom 25 to be exact wish i would of got the 49 but the 25 does me fine..

I learned a bunch of chords from 8notes.com You just type in the chord name and it shows wether you want the piano version or guitar version. So i learned all the chords in the Key of C, which is easy because the key of C is only the white notes. Than i would practice the chords get to know them. Very easy stuff. Than come up with some progressions, get a song layout intro verse chorus bridge. Than you just build over what you have with other instruments in Reason. Such a great program..

Here is a great site to teach you Chord Progressions and Scales for guitar..

http://all-guitar-chords.com/

Excelent site recomend that site to anyone starting out

Good luck ! PM me or post responses here with any questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dingolord
Sep 26, 2004

Sandeep posted:

I have the YPG-625 and I use the headphone jack for audio out.

Great, that should work. Going to check one out this weekend..

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm having a bit of trouble trying to read music. In this particular case, I am stumped on what exactly I should be playing. The song is Desperado, by the Eagles:

There are three staffs shown. I realize that the bottom staff is for guitar, but what are the top two staffs for? I was assuming that the middle staff is what I should be playing on the piano, and the top staff is the melody, but I'm sure I'm way off. Any thoughts?

Also, the song looks to be in key of G, but on the third chord there is a symbol in front of the F note. Does that mean to play a plain F there, or still sharpen it?

Last question, I promise. On the last two chords in the middle staff, it looks like there are two G notes back-to-back and tied together. How exactly do I play that?

I'm sure my terminology is way off, but I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The top is for vocals, the middle is for the piano or whatever other instrument you feel like playing it on that can do chords and the bottom is for guitar if you're one of those frat boys who can read tabs to impress chicks while not being able to read real music notation.

And yeah, you play that F without a sharp or flat. You also play all the remaining Fs in that bar the same way until you come across a new adjustment for F or you hit the end of the bar.

I have a question of my own, I've never encountered the notation at the top of that image. The 'G' 'G7sus2' 'C' 'Cm6' business. What does it do, who uses it, and where can I learn more about that?

Spanrah
May 6, 2006
These are small, Those are far away

Hughmoris posted:

There are three staffs shown. I realize that the bottom staff is for guitar, but what are the top two staffs for? I was assuming that the middle staff is what I should be playing on the piano, and the top staff is the melody, but I'm sure I'm way off. Any thoughts?

Also, the song looks to be in key of G, but on the third chord there is a symbol in front of the F note. Does that mean to play a plain F there, or still sharpen it?

Last question, I promise. On the last two chords in the middle staff, it looks like there are two G notes back-to-back and tied together. How exactly do I play that?

Your pretty much correct with alot of your answers. The top staff is melody, with the chords on the one below it. You'd usually play the melody with your Right hand, and the Chords with the left (obviously practise them seperately before doing both at the same time)

The song is in G, and your right, that is a natural F in the third chord. Dont sharpen it for the rest of that bar (so for the chord after it aswell). It doesnt come up again in that extract of music, but if later in the song you have another F, it'd be sharp again (unless theres a natural sign again).

Your right with the two G's on the last two chords aswell. Obviously you'd only play one. Looking at the guitar chords, there are two G's there (which is possible on a guitar), and so i guess someone typed in the guitar chords, and the program is just representing exactly what the guitar chords are. Just a dodgy transcription!

Enjoy Desperado!

edit: doh, spent too long writing the reply!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I love this thread! I've been wondering where all the piano people hang out on SA and here you are.

I don't qualify as "new" to the piano though - been taking lessons and playing since I was 11, so...about seventeen, going on eighteen years now. I'm actually hoping to start teaching, because piano is the only thing I really ENJOY doing with my life. I think I would enjoy myself a lot more if that was my job, even if it necessarily involved snotty little kids who never practice...

I'm working on Well-Tempered Clavier too. The whole first book. Got two more to go. I think WTC is my "desert island" piano work.

Although I totally understand that buying a real piano isn't feasible for every single person who wants to learn (I spent $30,000 on a grand for myself just last year), I just hate the thought of people trying to learn on a keyboard. Even a nice keyboard. It just...isn't the same.

Zigmidge posted:

I have a question of my own, I've never encountered the notation at the top of that image. The 'G' 'G7sus2' 'C' 'Cm6' business. What does it do, who uses it, and where can I learn more about that?

Those are chord names. G Major, G-seven with a suspention, C Major, etc. People use them to "fake it", meaning they can sort of make something up that will follow the same chord progression and sound good enough; or they use it to make up their own accompaniment to the melody.

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Although I totally understand that buying a real piano isn't feasible for every single person who wants to learn (I spent $30,000 on a grand for myself just last year), I just hate the thought of people trying to learn on a keyboard. Even a nice keyboard. It just...isn't the same.
I simply don't have room for a piano at the moment, even an upright, so I went down the "decent keyboard" route. Although I'm still only a beginner, everything I've done so far on the Yamaha translates instantly to my teacher's grand. The only difference I've found so far is the grandeur of the sound; the key-touch is mimicked particularly well. I'm sure I'll pick up on further nuances as I spread my wings a little more, but a good keyboard has helped me get into the world of piano at a reasonable cost and without it I wouldn't be here at all.

Don't feel too bad for the keyboard goons. :)

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

TheChipmunk posted:

I'm currently working on a Prelude in Fugue by the great Bachmiester (...Bach) in D Minor. I always have a hell of a time with his Well Tempered Clavier... Nonetheless, I hear its 'good for all pianists'.

Good luck with your audition Alizee, unless its already happened long ago. I just recently auditioned with success. Thank goodness.

I'm working on Beethoven Sonata (Pastoral), the Bach Prelude and Fugue, and a Chopin Polonaise (no 2 in E flat minor).

Its a shame to see this thread with so few replies. The Piano needs a strong resurgent, somehow. Its a shame everyone wants to "zomg shredding ftw".

Nah I'm applying to 3 different universities at different periods from march to may.

Western, Wilfred Laurier and Queens.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Cragz posted:

I simply don't have room for a piano at the moment, even an upright, so I went down the "decent keyboard" route. Although I'm still only a beginner, everything I've done so far on the Yamaha translates instantly to my teacher's grand. The only difference I've found so far is the grandeur of the sound; the key-touch is mimicked particularly well. I'm sure I'll pick up on further nuances as I spread my wings a little more, but a good keyboard has helped me get into the world of piano at a reasonable cost and without it I wouldn't be here at all.

Don't feel too bad for the keyboard goons. :)

Actually, I gave it some more though after I posted and realized - maybe new keyboards are better than the ones I knew. I haven't touched one in I don't know, seven or eight years (they had some in the theory classroom in college). And if you really can't tell the difference yet, it probably isn't harmful. I do hope you upgrade someday though!

I have a lesson in two hours. Should probably be practicing and not dicking around on the internet.

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Alizee posted:

Nah I'm applying to 3 different universities at different periods from march to may.

Western, Wilfred Laurier and Queens.

What's up fellow Toronto goon :canada:

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Lamb Virtuoso posted:

What's up fellow Toronto goon :canada:

Burlington but close enough :canada:

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
I have a piece A minor. All my book says about minor keys is that you move the middle finger down a key on a major chord. What else is affected by a minor key, and how does it relate to A major?

Stijl Council
Jun 16, 2003

Hip to be Squares

Eli Cash posted:

I have a piece A minor. All my book says about minor keys is that you move the middle finger down a key on a major chord. What else is affected by a minor key, and how does it relate to A major?

A minor has no accidentals in the key signature; A Major has three sharps (F, C, and G). Playing a piece in a minor will feel a lot like playing a piece in C Major, except that you might see more G sharps (one particular chord that's used a lot in minor pieces is a major chord on the fifth note of the scale, which in this case is E).

A minor is called the relative minor of C Major because it shares the same key signature. It's called the parallel minor of A Major because they share the same starting note. If you play the whole scale the a minor scale will sound sort of "sad."

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Eli Cash posted:

The difference between a major key and a minor key is that there is a different pattern of intervals in the two scales.

A major key - say C Major - goes c-d-e-f-g-a-b-c, all on white notes. That's whole step-whole step-half step-whole step-whole step-whole step-half step. Play C-D and then E-F - they sound different.

A minor key - say A minor - goes a-b-c-d-e-f-g-a, all on white notes. That's whole step-half step-whole step-whole step-half-step-whole step-whole step. The pattern is different and that's why they sound so different.

This is also why we have a different key signature for D Major and C Major in the first place - we have to adjust keys to get the right pattern of whole steps and half steps.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

I am Jesus, here with insight and deeper knowledge

Wow! I was never taught to look at it like that unless I slept through that theory class. Thank you, you have no idea how much that unlocked in my brain.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

Wow! I was never taught to look at it like that unless I slept through that theory class. Thank you, you have no idea how much that unlocked in my brain.

You're very welcome! It's fascinating stuff, and nothing I learned until I really picked up theory in college (after a decade of lessons).

Every key signature is just about shifting the pattern to fit major or minor.

What I can't wrap my brain around is the modes. Maybe someday.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

What I can't wrap my brain around is the modes. Maybe someday.

Bob Shadycharacter, ten seconds before posted:

The pattern is different and that's why they sound so different.

That's really all there is to it, if you're talking about the "church modes" or whatever they're called nowadays.

If you're talking about the "modes" of the minor scale, i.e. harmonic and melodic, well I think I already rambled on about those a page or two ago...

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

el Trentoro posted:

That's really all there is to it, if you're talking about the "church modes" or whatever they're called nowadays.

If you're talking about the "modes" of the minor scale, i.e. harmonic and melodic, well I think I already rambled on about those a page or two ago...

Yeah, I mean, I get that they're just another pattern, but I can't really get them inside my head to be able to listen and go "oh, that's phrygian", or whatever.

You have a point about melodic and harmonic minor, though.

Underdog
Dec 9, 2000
There's no need to fear, Underdog has beer!
Another beginner here. I have no musical experience, but I figure 28 isn't too old to start.

I had my first lesson last week, and my next one is tomorrow. Today I went ahead and purchased a decent beginner's keyboard, the Casio PX-200. I tested several <$1,000 keyboards, and this one had the best action for the price IMO. I will admit the samples are not as good as the Yamaha P-140, but it's also $500 cheaper. During my search I also looked at the Yamaha Clavinova CLP-240, loved it, but decided against it. I couldn't justify the $1,800 difference when all I can play is a few measures of Ode to Joy. Anyway, the keyboard should be in by Friday, so I'll really start practicing then.

Does anyone know what grade Moonlight Sonata (first movement) is? That's one of the pieces I've dreamed of being able to play for a long time.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

My piano just rolled in today. I was going to buy a digital, but I couldn't find one that felt right to me. So against my better judgment I bought a used Harrison upright piano. $1k delivery and a tune included in the price. Unfortunately the only tuner in the area only really makes a few appearances a year so it may be a few months, but I've only found a few keys to be off enough to matter. Next step over the weekend is to find myself an instructor and a few basic books to start off with.

The goals I've set up for myself are pretty basic, but I'm pretty much a beginner.
1: Get my left hand to keep up
2: Start working on music theory again (used to play brass in HS, but have forgotten what little I knew)
3: Learn a fun song e.g. Billy Joel "Piano Man" maybe even something I could sneak a little funk into.

I'm all up for suggestions on songs and books too. I was playing around with a few different blues rhythms, but not much else as of yet.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Underdog posted:

Another beginner here. I have no musical experience, but I figure 28 isn't too old to start.

I had my first lesson last week, and my next one is tomorrow. Today I went ahead and purchased a decent beginner's keyboard, the Casio PX-200. I tested several <$1,000 keyboards, and this one had the best action for the price IMO. I will admit the samples are not as good as the Yamaha P-140, but it's also $500 cheaper. During my search I also looked at the Yamaha Clavinova CLP-240, loved it, but decided against it. I couldn't justify the $1,800 difference when all I can play is a few measures of Ode to Joy. Anyway, the keyboard should be in by Friday, so I'll really start practicing then.

Does anyone know what grade Moonlight Sonata (first movement) is? That's one of the pieces I've dreamed of being able to play for a long time.

Eh, depends how you look at it. It's interpretations are all over the place. Some people, like myself believe it needs to be at a moving tempo instead of the stagnant pace everyone normally plays it at which might be considered grade 6. I will say one thing though, (not being harsh) but you'll completely butcher it unless you have some crazy natural ability. People that have been playing the piano for many many years fail to capture any emotion in it. (Now to get off my high horse :S) Realistically, you could be playing that in 6 months pretty well. I think it may actually be a good idea for you to get into it early and play it through your progress because well, it's a song that will only improve as you do.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

nomad2020 posted:

My piano just rolled in today. I was going to buy a digital, but I couldn't find one that felt right to me. So against my better judgment I bought a used Harrison upright piano. $1k delivery and a tune included in the price. Unfortunately the only tuner in the area only really makes a few appearances a year so it may be a few months, but I've only found a few keys to be off enough to matter. Next step over the weekend is to find myself an instructor and a few basic books to start off with.

The goals I've set up for myself are pretty basic, but I'm pretty much a beginner.
1: Get my left hand to keep up
2: Start working on music theory again (used to play brass in HS, but have forgotten what little I knew)
3: Learn a fun song e.g. Billy Joel "Piano Man" maybe even something I could sneak a little funk into.

I'm all up for suggestions on songs and books too. I was playing around with a few different blues rhythms, but not much else as of yet.

Mix it up. Maybe go with RCM grades and on the side play some Radiohead, Coldplay, Ben Folds Five. All of them have some easy piano stuff that will be sure to draw the ladies.

Coldplay: Clocks, The Scientist
Radiohead: Karma Police
Ben Folds/Five: Army, Brick

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Underdog posted:

What Alizee said is true. It is a piece that can be very boring to the listeners if it's not played "right". It also doesn't help that it is so widely known and played, so to stand out is not easy.

But, I also suggest you to start learning it, since being able to play what you like is great joy to be had.

Underdog
Dec 9, 2000
Thanks for the tips. I've only had my second lesson this week, so I'm not quite ready to tackle it yet, but I will certainly work in that direction.

Alizee, what do you mean by 'moving tempo'? Do you mean that people play the entire piece to the same beat?

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Underdog posted:

Thanks for the tips. I've only had my second lesson this week, so I'm not quite ready to tackle it yet, but I will certainly work in that direction.

Alizee, what do you mean by 'moving tempo'? Do you mean that people play the entire piece to the same beat?

Okay well in the first movement of Moonlight there are a lot of important things other than just playing the right notes. One of the easiest things it seems for people to get wrong is the tempo. Tempo = speed or beats per minute.

I didn't mean "moving" as in the tempo shifts, more that the tempo carries through without seeming to stop time.

Here's what I mean in a way we can all easily understand :D

Slow Tempo: (What I and many hate)

Moderate Tempo: (Ahhhh there we go)

P.S. Sorry about the mistakes, I was just sight reading :unsmith:

The other things that are really important in this are rolling hands, being able to unevenly shift the weight of your hands without causing bumps, dynamic control, good peddling, knowing when to stretch the time and being able to do 9ths with ease and making that very simple but beautiful melody sing.

All of that just comes with practice and learning from someone good. However, there's no reason for you to not start attempting to learn the notes now :)

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

I think reading through this thread might have pushed me over the edge toward learning piano. I've picked out a bunch of starting gear and books that look promising, but a lot of this is stuff I can't see in person, so I thought I'd see if anyone here had experience with this stuff, either good or bad, before I go ahead and order it. Here's what I'm about to buy:

Keyboard
  • Casio Privia PX-200 ($400)
I haven't been able to find one to play in person, but I liked the Casio PX-110 I played, and this really seems like a good deal based on what I've read about it. This is from music123.com if anyone is interested (on sale for $500, with a promo $100 off a $500 order and free shipping)

Other Hardware
  • M-Audio SP-2 Sustain Pedal ($20)
  • World Tour Double X Keyboard Stand ($30)
  • Yamaha PKBB1MM Portable Keyboard Bench ($20)
This all seemed like decent starting gear that wasn't too expensive. If you have bench/stand advice I'd love to hear it.

Books
  • Carl Humphries, The Piano Handbook: A Complete Guide for Mastering Piano ($20)
  • Burgmuller: 25 Progressive Pieces, opus 100 (Book & CD) (Alfred CD Edition) ($10)
  • J.S. Bach: Selections from Anna Magdalena's Notebook (Book & CD) (Alfred CD Edition) ($10)
A well regarded method book and some easier pieces that should keep me busy for a while without being boring.

Whew, this was a lot of stuff to try and pick out by myself. I think I'm getting quite a lot for ~$500 though. Please set me straight if I'm on the wrong track. If it matters, my goal is to play intermediate level classical pieces and pop music.

Underdog
Dec 9, 2000

Alizee posted:

I didn't mean "moving" as in the tempo shifts, more that the tempo carries through without seeming to stop time.

Got ya. I tend to agree - I don't think this is quite as fast as your example, but I consider this to be a good performance.

greatZebu:
I think the PX-200 has the same keyboard as the PX-110. If you have a Guitar Center near you, they should have one that you can try.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Underdog posted:

Got ya. I tend to agree - I don't think this is quite as fast as your example, but I consider this to be a good performance.

That's a really brilliant interpretation.

Underdog
Dec 9, 2000

greatZebu posted:

• M-Audio SP-2 Sustain Pedal ($20)
  • World Tour Double X Keyboard Stand ($30)
  • Yamaha PKBB1MM Portable Keyboard Bench ($20)
This all seemed like decent starting gear that wasn't too expensive. If you have bench/stand advice I'd love to hear it.

I just received my keyboard and stand, and wanted to follow up. The PX-200 does come with a pedal, although I don't like it quite as much as the one you mentioned.

Also, I purchased the CS-65 stand to go along with my keyboard. If you don't plan on carrying the keyboard around with you, it's pretty good and compliments its looks. The downside is that you do have to remove the sides of the keyboard so it fits into the stand, making the keyboard much less portable. It was very easy to put together though, and only required a screwdriver.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Underdog posted:

I just received my keyboard and stand, and wanted to follow up. The PX-200 does come with a pedal, although I don't like it quite as much as the one you mentioned.

Also, I purchased the CS-65 stand to go along with my keyboard. If you don't plan on carrying the keyboard around with you, it's pretty good and compliments its looks. The downside is that you do have to remove the sides of the keyboard so it fits into the stand, making the keyboard much less portable. It was very easy to put together though, and only required a screwdriver.

Lookin' good brosif. Now to work!

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

Thanks for the info, Underdog. Now I've got to figure out how to rearrange my furniture to make room for a 4 foot wide keyboard. :)

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
After using my $100 Casio keyboard for a couple of months, I'm getting more serious about a digital piano. I know Privia's a are a good value, but I feel I would be completely satisfied with a Yamaha. I'm looking at the P70 and P85, which are $500-$600. Does anyone have any experience or advice on these "cheaper" Yamahas?

Emmet Brown
Apr 11, 2006

Shoeing horses and fixing wagons

Eli Cash posted:

After using my $100 Casio keyboard for a couple of months, I'm getting more serious about a digital piano. I know Privia's a are a good value, but I feel I would be completely satisfied with a Yamaha. I'm looking at the P70 and P85, which are $500-$600. Does anyone have any experience or advice on these "cheaper" Yamahas?

I've just been out and bought myself a Yamaha NP30 as I've been wanting to get back into playing the piano after having left it for a good few years. It doesn't have proper hammer action keys, but they are graded so it's far more responsive than my PSR225 keyboard. For the price (£160) I'm really impressed with it, so the P70 and P85 should be very good for the money.

Underdog
Dec 9, 2000

Eli Cash posted:

I'm looking at the P70 and P85, which are $500-$600. Does anyone have any experience or advice on these "cheaper" Yamahas?

I think the P70 had slightly better piano samples than the Privias (using headphones), but I didn't care for the feel as much. The Yamaha doesn't have as many features as the Privia either, so be sure to compare features to make sure the P70 has everything you want.

Both Yamahas are good keyboards from what I've read, though.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Alright, I need some input here. I am looking to fill my collection of sad piano pieces. The more depressed it makes you, the better. I am looking for ones that aren't overly complicated since I've only been playing for several months. Let's hear it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z2ljWwIaHs

*A sad little jingle I stumbled upon today. The video is a little weird, but the piece is beautiful.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Okay so you can't get much sadder than this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dseJl09blm8

and then of course

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O6txOvK-mAk

and believe it or not, a great place for easy sad piano song is anime:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GfSqzuRauLI

and

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OOkvlIz3p4s

Underdog
Dec 9, 2000
The Final Fantasy series has several sad pieces:

This one looks like the easiest of the bunch.
Final Fantasy VII: Aeris' Theme.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DUrJw0WK_JE

Final Fantasy IV: Love Theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPVEZ78-kL4

Terra's Theme from Final Fantasy VI.
Probably a bit too difficult, but I would like to be able to play this one day.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uns6tHo2Fc0

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
For those looking for teachers, you should check out Music Teachers National Association (MTNA). Most states and cities have local chapters (i.e. https://www.oregonmta.org for Oregon, and https://www.omta-portland.org for Portland, as an example), where you can narrow down to teachers that work nearby.

The local chapters usually have newsletters where you can see who is active in the music community. Some of the teachers are nationally certified, although there are plenty of fantastic teachers that are members who are not certified.

I think local MTNA chapters are a good way to find high qualified teachers that are very serious about their teaching.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Actually, I gave it some more though after I posted and realized - maybe new keyboards are better than the ones I knew. I haven't touched one in I don't know, seven or eight years (they had some in the theory classroom in college). And if you really can't tell the difference yet, it probably isn't harmful. I do hope you upgrade someday though!

Yes, digital pianos have made huge improvements in the past few years.

The important thing is whether you can transition between your digital and a real piano (since most of us don't need to perform for people in our bedrooms). I think the most practical solution is to have a digital piano at home, and regularly find a chance to play a real piano (at a school or your teacher's piano).

Besides cost, weight, maintenance, you also can't forget that many of us live in condos or apartments where our neighbors would not tolerate a real piano, especially for those of us who like to practice before going to bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

This is a good topic, I wish piano got more love in comparison to the other rhythm section instruments.

I play a bit of piano. I took a year of lessons when I was 10 or so, which I regret having been so young for because I never practiced for them or anything. Still, it got me off to the right track, and that combined with a jazz band/theory class in high school means I'm able to comp along to a jazz chart pretty well, but can't really sight read any sort of sheet music and have bad coordination.

A while ago, though, I picked up three 'Master Series For The Young' books containing 'the technically easiest compositions' of a different composer for each book. The current song I had been working on (and need to get back to) is Arietta in A by Haydn.

I definitely do need to get back to it, because piano really does help show you the theory a lot better than other instruments. It's tough, though, because I can't afford lessons - I'm already taking some for saxophone - and I have very little time, between school and practicing aforementioned sax along with the drums and guitar and general theory work. Plus, other stuff in life.

Still, I'll get back at it and post my progress at some point. Right now I can only play the first half, and not completely smoothly.