Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

80k posted:

Yes, digital pianos have made huge improvements in the past few years.

The important thing is whether you can transition between your digital and a real piano (since most of us don't need to perform for people in our bedrooms). I think the most practical solution is to have a digital piano at home, and regularly find a chance to play a real piano (at a school or your teacher's piano).

Besides cost, weight, maintenance, you also can't forget that many of us live in condos or apartments where our neighbors would not tolerate a real piano, especially for those of us who like to practice before going to bed.

True. I'm glad to hear that they are better than they used to be - I had to practice on a keyboard for six month once when my family was displaced by a minor fire, and it really sucked.

When I moved into my first apartment my landlord was like, "oh, I don't mind, I love piano!" and I thought...yeah, you've never heard somone practice the same three measure, badly, for 45 minutes. She never did complain though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eli Cash
Jun 8, 2005
I have another question on key signatures. I have a piece that says D minor at the top the actual music has the key signature of F major. I'm assuming I just flat b and play it normally otherwise.

Also, if anyone's looking for free sheet music http://mx-music.com/ has a large collection, mostly pop.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
The key signature for D minor is the same as the key signature for F Major. D is the relative minor of F.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Here's an update of legal classical scores:

http://vkgfx.com/scores/

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Alizee posted:

Here's an update of legal classical scores:

http://vkgfx.com/scores/

Gotta go try some of that Saint Saens pc #2 solo :awesome:. But it hurts my heart so to see there's no Grieg and Poulenc on it :smith:

Thanks for the site!

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
Quick status update. I picked up a 10 year old Yamaha U3, and it sounds wonderful. I feel pretty bad practicing on it, though, as people often watch TV in a room next to it. Still, I love it. I got it for 4k.

Also, my teacher wants me to take this certification test thing that will label me as an intermediary pianist. The pieces I'm working on right now is Chopin's Op. 28 no 15 ("Raindrop" I think is called), Clementi's Op. 36 Sonatina 1 (I THINK it's one), and two others that I forgot the name of. One of them is by Bach. I'll put up the names later. I'll be playing at least all four of them at the coming recital at the end of this semester's lessons. The first two are last ones being played because they are so difficult for me right now :(

While I'm trucking along at playing pieces fairly well, I want to improve my sight reading. I still need to think for a little while before I know what the note is, especially if it's above or below the staff. Obviously, I still can't read notes and play them right off the bat, unless they're really simple. I would also like to learn more about theory and improvisation. Since I'm not a music major, though, I cannot attend the relevant classes :(

ShinAli fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 6, 2008

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

ShinAli posted:

Quick status update. I picked up a 10 year old Yamaha U3, and it sounds wonderful. I feel pretty bad practicing on it, though, as people often watch TV in a room next to it. Still, I love it. I got it for 4k.

Also, my teacher wants me to take this certification test thing that will label me as an intermediary pianist. The pieces I'm working on right now is Chopin's Op. 28 no 15 ("Raindrop" I think is called), Clementi's Op. 36 Sonatina 1 (I THINK it's one), and two others that I forgot the name of. One of them is by Bach. I'll put up the names later. I'll be playing at least all four of them at the coming recital at the end of this semester's lessons. The first two are last ones being played because they are so difficult for me right now :(

While I'm trucking along at playing pieces fairly well, I want to improve my sight reading. I still need to think for a little while before I know what the note is, especially if it's above or below the staff. Obviously, I still can't read notes and play them right off the bat, unless they're really simple. I would also like to learn more about theory and improvisation. Since I'm not a music major, though, I cannot attend the relevant classes :(

Oh, I love the raindrop. It's so pretty.

They won't let you take theory unless you're a music major? That's pretty stupid. There weren't any pre-requisites for it at my school, although theory one was a prereq for theory two and so on.

When you say sight reading, do you mean looking at a piece for the first time and playing it as you are looking at it, or just literally reading the music and knowing what notes are there reasonably fast?

Either way, the only way to get faster/better is to just keep doing it every day.

And as far as practicing while people are watching TV...I'm sure whatever you're playing is better than anything on TV. :)

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

ShinAli posted:

Uh depending on how studied your piano teacher is they may be able to teach you all three of what you listed. Repertoire, Theory and Improvisation.

I was somewhat in the same boat as you this year for a while, while I had the money, so I did this.

Mondays (new teacher)- Improvisation/vocals 30 minutes
Tuesdays (standard lessons)- Repertoire 1 hour - Harmony - 1 hour

It's just all about finding the right teachers etc. if you have the time. I didn't want to fully engulf myself into improv, just pick up some guidelines so I mixed it with something else I wanted to do. And then on Tuesdays I'd just double up my lesson with my teacher.

At the very least you could have you teacher split lessons every week between theory and practice. Really, in my opinion if you're a diligent student it works better for a student to get lessons every two weeks.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 8, 2014

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Well I can't specifically recommend any model for you since I don't know much about medium end keyboards but as to what you're looking for:

Touch is the number one. Weighted keys is a must for anyone that wants to be able to play on a real piano without significant drawback.

88 keys is also a must if you want to play any advanced songs etc.

Voices and interface are lesser things that you might or might not be interested in. Keep in mind that just because a keyboard only has 5 voices doesn't mean that's all you can do with it. You can buy accessories that will give you limitless sounds from a laptop etc. And with the interface, that doesn't matter. It's an instrument.

Other than that the final deciding factor is built in speakers or not. You can get a really cheap guitar amp for 50 bucks and in some cases depending on how expensive you go even that can be better than the built in speakers. In addition it'll give you added volume.

Also make sure to buy a damper pedal.

That's really all I can give you for advice :(

P.S. My personal choice would be the M-Audio

Alizee fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 19, 2008

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 8, 2014

Realjones
May 16, 2004

colonp posted:

I've looked a bit at some Danish sites (Aage.dk seems to be the cheapest, and they're somewhat local as well), and it seems that the new digital pianos in my price range are:
M-Audio ProKeys 88sx (3200 dkr.)
Casio CDP-100 (3000 dkr.)
Casio Privia PX-110 (3600 dkr.) - no stand
Casio Privia PX-310 (4000 dkr.) - no stand

The PX-110 is the cheapest fully weighted keys piano keyboard currently available. The PX-310 is the same keyboard, but with more electronic bells and whistles. The PX-110 is around $400 here in the U.S. and it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to ship one internationally.

Anything else with fully weighted keys is more expensive than the PX-110. For example, another "entry level" keyboard, the Yamaha YGP-625, is like $600+. Anything less expensive (<$400) does not have fully weighted keys. You want fully weighted keys.

The 88sx only has semi weighted keys; it is not what you want.

I have the PX-110 and it is good for what I bought it for (cheapest fully weighted keys I could get). I also have a M audio 88es (semi weighted keys) and the difference in the realism is night and day.

Underdog
Dec 9, 2000
There's no need to fear, Underdog has beer!
I liked all the Casios, and feel that any would be a good place to start. Just be sure to test one out first if possible, because they have a heavier feel than other keyboards in the price range.

I've been playing for about a month now, and I must admit I can see the day when I'll have to upgrade to something nicer... but for now it's more than enough.

Markzillla
Aug 31, 2001

Realjones posted:

I have the PX-110 and it is good for what I bought it for (cheapest fully weighted keys I could get). I also have a M audio 88es (semi weighted keys) and the difference in the realism is night and day.

Have you tried using the PX-110 with a pc with vsts? If so is it easy to get working with a pc? I know it doesn't have usb. I ask because I'm thinking of getting one, but I'd be mainly using it with the pc and if it's a hassle to get working (I have Vista, which probably doesn't help), I'd rather stick with my M-Audio 49es, which while kinda crappy Just Works with no drama on all the computers I've tried it with.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

Markzillla posted:

Have you tried using the PX-110 with a pc with vsts? If so is it easy to get working with a pc? I know it doesn't have usb. I ask because I'm thinking of getting one, but I'd be mainly using it with the pc and if it's a hassle to get working (I have Vista, which probably doesn't help), I'd rather stick with my M-Audio 49es, which while kinda crappy Just Works with no drama on all the computers I've tried it with.

The PX-110 has midi in and out, you would just need a MIDI to USB cable. I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work fine.

Stop Motion Dong
Jun 11, 2007
I've been wanting to play the piano for a while now, and I've finally decided it's time to buy one and start learning. I have NO clue whatsoever on what to get, however. I have a budget of about $600 give-or-take. If anyone can help a newbie out, that would be great. :).

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.
Hey guys! I got into piano a few years ago, and started learning on my own. I think I'm passable at improvising at this point, but I'd like to improve, mainly into the arena of jazz.

I know scales and chords, but I can't put them together the way most jazz pianists seem to be able to do. I can either just play chords in my right hand, with some kind of bass accompaniment in my left, or I can play boring chords in my left, with melody stuff in my right. Both sound kinda cool to mess around with, but neither is actually that professional sounding.

So basically, I'd like to know how to make my improv playing sound more interesting. I don't know what the hell to do with my left hand =(

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

DukAmok posted:

Hey guys! I got into piano a few years ago, and started learning on my own. I think I'm passable at improvising at this point, but I'd like to improve, mainly into the arena of jazz.

I know scales and chords, but I can't put them together the way most jazz pianists seem to be able to do. I can either just play chords in my right hand, with some kind of bass accompaniment in my left, or I can play boring chords in my left, with melody stuff in my right. Both sound kinda cool to mess around with, but neither is actually that professional sounding.

So basically, I'd like to know how to make my improv playing sound more interesting. I don't know what the hell to do with my left hand =(

It would be helpful if you included an example of that "professional sound".

I thought you're improvising was quite good although I only listened to a third of it.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Resistance posted:

I've been wanting to play the piano for a while now, and I've finally decided it's time to buy one and start learning. I have NO clue whatsoever on what to get, however. I have a budget of about $600 give-or-take. If anyone can help a newbie out, that would be great. :).

The keyboard this guy is talking about sounds up your alley.

Realjones posted:

The PX-110 is the cheapest fully weighted keys piano keyboard currently available. The PX-310 is the same keyboard, but with more electronic bells and whistles. The PX-110 is around $400 here in the U.S. and it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to ship one internationally.

Anything else with fully weighted keys is more expensive than the PX-110. For example, another "entry level" keyboard, the Yamaha YGP-625, is like $600+. Anything less expensive (<$400) does not have fully weighted keys. You want fully weighted keys.

The 88sx only has semi weighted keys; it is not what you want.

Maybe look into that. It'd give you money for a stand,pedal and cheap guitar amp too!

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Alizee posted:

It would be helpful if you included an example of that "professional sound".

I thought you're improvising was quite good although I only listened to a third of it.

Thanks =)

I know its quite a long ways from where I'm at, but I really love the way Jordan Rudess plays. Here's a short piano solo from the Liquid Tension song Biaxident, I think it's awesome. It's got a ton of technical stuff thats totally beyond me, but the idea is that I'm stuck on pentatonics and pretty basic scales, and I'd it to sound a little less...well...basic.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

DukAmok posted:

Thanks =)

I know its quite a long ways from where I'm at, but I really love the way Jordan Rudess plays. Here's a short piano solo from the Liquid Tension song Biaxident, I think it's awesome. It's got a ton of technical stuff thats totally beyond me, but the idea is that I'm stuck on pentatonics and pretty basic scales, and I'd it to sound a little less...well...basic.

Ahhhh Jordan Rudess.

Really I didn't think that was amazingly interesting itself. It certainly was extremely technical but well...

If I can think of anything that would add more interest to what you're wanting add more tensions and distinguish the melody more by bringing it up an octave in most cases.

Sorry I can't be of more help vOv

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Alizee posted:

Ahhhh Jordan Rudess.

Really I didn't think that was amazingly interesting itself. It certainly was extremely technical but well...

If I can think of anything that would add more interest to what you're wanting add more tensions and distinguish the melody more by bringing it up an octave in most cases.

Sorry I can't be of more help vOv

Yeah, I love that kind of technical stuff. The problem is that I can only play very simplistic things at that kind of speed.

Can you recommend any useful scales or chords to learn in particular? Plain old major and minor chords are kinda boring, and pentatonic scales are even worse =(

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

DukAmok posted:

Yeah, I love that kind of technical stuff. The problem is that I can only play very simplistic things at that kind of speed.

Can you recommend any useful scales or chords to learn in particular? Plain old major and minor chords are kinda boring, and pentatonic scales are even worse =(

I dunno, I'm not well versed in improv. But try some modes? :unsmith:

Quasimodo
Jul 1, 2002

SATAN.

DukAmok posted:

Practice, with a metronome, running scales with your right hand while keeping your attention focused on making your left hand both rhythmically and harmonically interesting.

As far as other scales are concerned, there are quite a few to choose from. I play jazz piano, but from talking to my more pop/20th century friends, they have a few scales/modes that are nice to mess around with. They are as follows:

Lydian: 1, 2, 3, #4, 5, 6, 7, 8 (play over major chords/ major 7 chords)
Mixolydian: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, b7, 8 (play over Dominant 7th chords or major triads)
Phrygian: 1, b2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7, 8(play over any minor chord, but specifically the iii chord)
Dorian: 1, b2, b3, 4, 5, 6, b7, 8 (basic choice for minor chords)
Aeolian: 1, b2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7, 8 (second most basic choice for minor chords)
Harmonic Minor: 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, 7, 8 (minor chords, sounds all eastern european)
Diminished: 1, 2, b3, 4, b5, b6, bb7, 8(diminished chords, sounds like a lady is tied to the railroad tracks and the evil villain is stroking his mustache)
As far as chords for your left hand, you can try to move away from basic voicings a little bit. Perhaps leave out the root note, and instead substitute scale degree 2(also known as scale degree 9).
Whole Tone: 1, 2, 3, #4, #5, #6, 8 (sounds like a dream sequence)

For example, for a C major chord, you could quickly strike a C bass note low down on the keyboard, and then move your hand up and play a voicing like "e, g, b, d" - or you could also do "e, a, b, d". If this doesn't fit your style, try adding more 7ths or 6ths on top of your triads. Look into half diminished chords(1, b3, b5, 7) or augmented triads (1, 3, #5).

Hope this helps.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Quasimodo posted:

Lydian: 1, 2, 3, #4, 5, 6, 7, 8 (play over major chords/ major 7 chords)
Mixolydian: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, b7, 8 (play over Dominant 7th chords or major triads)
Phrygian: 1, b2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7, 8(play over any minor chord, but specifically the iii chord)
Dorian: 1, b2, b3, 4, 5, 6, b7, 8 (basic choice for minor chords)
Aeolian: 1, b2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7, 8 (second most basic choice for minor chords)
Harmonic Minor: 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, 7, 8 (minor chords, sounds all eastern european)
Diminished: 1, 2, b3, 4, b5, b6, bb7, 8(diminished chords, sounds like a lady is tied to the railroad tracks and the evil villain is stroking his mustache)
As far as chords for your left hand, you can try to move away from basic voicings a little bit. Perhaps leave out the root note, and instead substitute scale degree 2(also known as scale degree 9).
Whole Tone: 1, 2, 3, #4, #5, #6, 8 (sounds like a dream sequence)

For example, for a C major chord, you could quickly strike a C bass note low down on the keyboard, and then move your hand up and play a voicing like "e, g, b, d" - or you could also do "e, a, b, d". If this doesn't fit your style, try adding more 7ths or 6ths on top of your triads. Look into half diminished chords(1, b3, b5, 7) or augmented triads (1, 3, #5).

Hope this helps.

Modes have never made sense to me. I tried playing some of those you posted over the chords you recommended, and I couldn't really make them sound good. I don't think I'm picking the right notes or the right chords or something.

So when you say Dorian for instance, and I want to play in Cm, putting in the notes for numbers gives me C, Db, Eb, F, G, A, Bb, C. Most of those make sense, but Db and A natural sound terrible, and if I leave them out, I'm back to the ol' pentatonic =(

Also a problem for me, is I don't know how to ascend or descend a scale for more than a few notes at time without making it sound like, well, a scale. I hear jazz improvisations that sound a lot like they're just climbing a scale, but then I do that too, and it sounds horribly basic. What's the difference I'm missing here?

What definitely did help was your advice about 7ths and 6ths. It's amazing how much cooler the same progression sounds when you add on some of those extra tones, thanks!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

DukAmok posted:

Also a problem for me, is I don't know how to ascend or descend a scale for more than a few notes at time without making it sound like, well, a scale. I hear jazz improvisations that sound a lot like they're just climbing a scale, but then I do that too, and it sounds horribly basic. What's the difference I'm missing here?

Keeping in mind here that I know basically nothing of improv or jazz - I'm classical all the way - maybe rhythmic variation? Rhythmic variation in a scale can make a HUGE difference. Joy to the World is an instantly recognizable tune, and it's just a descending Major sale.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Yeah there's definitely an easier way to remember and learn how to play modes than what was listed but I forget it.

Basically every mode is the same just with a different start note.

And also, sorry since I don't remember this well but bare with me there's only two semi tones per mode and those just shift too or something like that.

Please somebody clarify the simplicity to what I'm trying to convey. :unsmith:

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

I'm looking for a way to learn how to play at home without a teacher. Is there a great website or book that offers complete courses on playing piano?

http://www.learnpianoonline.com/lesson1/page1.html
What does ML think of this site? It starts pretty basic and has well-designed lessons, but there's no way of knowing how advanced it gets unless you buy the non-free lessons. So far I've worked up to lesson 4, where the trial ends.

http://www.free-online-piano-lessons.com/
This one looks pretty professional but it doesn't have practice lessons. It also looks way too complicated and isn't actually geared towards instruction. Why am I learning about dominant and diminished 7th chords on lesson three?

http://www.zebrakeys.com/lessons/
This one looks ok but I haven't looked into it.

http://www.gopiano.com/
This one seems shady.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Resistance posted:

Actually, if you are going to go Casio, the PX-200 or the new PX-320 would be better choices than the PX-110 or PX-310. Even for beginners, there is little point (unless you are really stretching your budget) in buying a 32-note polyphony when you can shell out another hundred bucks and get a superior keyboard with better features and 128-note polyphony. And the PX-200 is still within your price range ($500 at musiciansfriend, on sale right now, which might be worth jumping on).

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
This thread's great, I'm going to start learning/practicing soon when my new gear arrives. I'm looking to eventually play symphonic metal keyboards: lots of shredding and some more classical/traditional backings to rock songs, but I'll be starting with basic beginner piano books. If anyone has advice for learning some easy rock songs, I'm all ears, as I'll be way more excited to practice those day to day. I saw Fake Books mentioned earlier in the thread, I'll be giving those a look at least.

I'm thinking about lessons if I really struggle, but I played concert percussion for years and know how to read music, so I'm thinking I won't be completely helpless. I'm also not sure I'd find a teacher enthusiastic about teaching keytar, but who knows. :3: I'll post it in the new gear thread when it arrives, and haven't decided if I'm going with a cheapo synth, synth module, or PC software only to control through MIDI.

Quasimodo
Jul 1, 2002

SATAN.

DukAmok posted:

Modes have never made sense to me. I tried playing some of those you posted over the chords you recommended, and I couldn't really make them sound good. I don't think I'm picking the right notes or the right chords or something.

So when you say Dorian for instance, and I want to play in Cm, putting in the notes for numbers gives me C, Db, Eb, F, G, A, Bb, C. Most of those make sense, but Db and A natural sound terrible, and if I leave them out, I'm back to the ol' pentatonic =(

What definitely did help was your advice about 7ths and 6ths. It's amazing how much cooler the same progression sounds when you add on some of those extra tones, thanks!

Haha, i hosed up on the dorian scale degrees. Dorian is actually 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, 6, b7. The flat 2 is really only in phrygian when dealing with minor. I guess it's really all a matter of getting used to how the different scale degrees sound and getting comfortable with them. To me, and to many other people, 2 and flat 2 both sound like "2", just with a different mood. They both scream to go back to 1 really badly. As for the 6th scale degree, i have no idea why that sounds bad to you. For me, scale degree 4 sounds way more awkward than any other, especially 6. I can hang out on 6 for a while and have a pretty good time. I guess that has a lot to do with your familiarity with the sound of the pentatonic.

As far as the whole "jazz folk play scales and make it sound cool" thing - it's because they have amazing technique and rhythmic ability. You can make anything sound great if you have superb touch and cohesive rhythm. Work on making nice sounding phrases, as if you were singing/whistling instead of banging on keys, and you too can make boring scales sound cool. Further, you're probably being too hard on yourself - stuff i play often just sounds like lovely scale runs to me, but to others(or even to myself listening to a recording on a later date) it sounds just fine and perhaps even pretty interesting.

I'd recommend playing through modes, even if they sound like poo poo to you, just for the practice. One way to get comfortable with the modes without really thinking about them is a scale exercise. For instance, run a C major scale two octaves up and down - but when you get to the top, play an extra note (D). When you get to the bottom, play one less note, and start on E. Just a quick starter would be: up: C D E F G A B C D down: C B A G F E up: F G A B C D E F G down: F E D C B A G. Essentially, you're running up C ionian, down D dorian, up E Phrygian, down F lydian, up G mixolydian, down A aeolian, up B locrian, and then down C ionian again. It's a great way to get fingerings down for your diatonic modes, as well as an awesome way to get comfortable with playing solos that aren't centered around the super-boring root note. Once you play this through in all 12 keys, i think you'll find that the diatonic modes sound a little less funky - especially when you play them over chord progressions. At some point, you will come to realize that every scale degree is like a character in a play - they all have their specific roles, moods, tendencies, and homes. They all work in different ways and for different purposes. I'm still trying to get that realization down, but it's becoming more and more clear every day.

I hope this wasn't too confusing, i realize that i've sort of thrown out some heavy material without much explanation in my posts - but i'm glad you've at least gotten something out of them. If you're super confused about the scale exercise i could whip an example up in sibelius and post it - but i think you should be able to figure it out with a little effort.

Quasimodo fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 2, 2008

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I totally second the don't be too hard on yourself thing.

I'm in a school jazz band on piano and I only ever had like a month of improv lessons. I always get super worried that my improvisation is going to sound ridiculously novice. But afterwards my guitar buddy who I envy for his soloing ability told me that my solo was really well done.

I think it's partly the fact that you're thinking of phrasing, bringing down a melody back to where you want it. Accenting for a great rhythmic pattern etc. etc. etc. that you kind of lose touch to your solo a bit. And thus it doesn't sound as great to you.

:)

Rhythm more than anything though is huge huge huge. It's everything, because well you're not going to create nut blowing harmonies out of your rear end, so what do you have left?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Aenovae posted:

I'm looking for a way to learn how to play at home without a teacher. Is there a great website or book that offers complete courses on playing piano?

http://www.learnpianoonline.com/lesson1/page1.html
What does ML think of this site? It starts pretty basic and has well-designed lessons, but there's no way of knowing how advanced it gets unless you buy the non-free lessons. So far I've worked up to lesson 4, where the trial ends.

http://www.free-online-piano-lessons.com/
This one looks pretty professional but it doesn't have practice lessons. It also looks way too complicated and isn't actually geared towards instruction. Why am I learning about dominant and diminished 7th chords on lesson three?

http://www.zebrakeys.com/lessons/
This one looks ok but I haven't looked into it.

http://www.gopiano.com/
This one seems shady.

I've been using Rocket Piano for about the last month or so and it is doing a pretty decent job so far. It was only $40 and seems pretty complete. It has a ton of lessons in pdf format along with some videos and audio for all of the practice pieces in the pdfs.

I tried using free lessons from youtube at first but it seemed very incomplete and didnt want it to lead to bad habits and such.

I've also been using the practice techniques from http://www.pianofundamentals.com.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 8, 2014

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
How much different is the organ from the piano (in terms of difficulty, playing styles, etc.)?

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

grapecritic posted:

How much different is the organ from the piano (in terms of difficulty, playing styles, etc.)?

Well, I don't understand what you mean by difficulty. Any instrument can have any level of difficulty imaginable depending on what you're wanting to do with it.

But, in terms of playing style the only that I can think of that has a legitimate claim at being a barrier is only from going from piano to organ and that's just that there's multiple keyboards.

Really, they're the same thing. However, if you're going from organ to keyboard you're going to have a lot harder of a time developing a touch for it in comparison to vice versa.

Really it's just like saying how different are acoustic and electric guitar.

(I've never played the organ so if somebody actually has a standing on the two please feel free to cut up my post)

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

grapecritic posted:

My mother was an organist and a piannist. There are differences between them, but I think learning either one would help you along quite a bit with the other.

The organ is a wind instrument, vs the piano being a percussion instrument (the harpsichord, incidentally, is a string instrument).

The biggest difference is that the keys aren't expressive - meaning no matter how hard or soft you hit the key, the volume of sound that comes out is exactly the same. Loudness is controlled by your feet. There are a ton of different sounds that can come out, which are controlled by "stops" - there are hundreds of combinations that you can create by pulling out various stops. (This is the origin of the phrase "pulling out all the stops"). As was already mentioned, there are also sometimes multiple manuals (keyboards) - usually one of them is in a higher register and one in a lower register.

And you can play notes with your feet, because there's another keyboard down there.

Oh, one more thing - the sound continues for as long as the key is held down. This is drastically different from a piano, where the sound starts decaying the second you depress the key and there's not a drat thing you can do about it.

I hope this helps!

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

The organ is a wind instrument, vs the piano being a percussion instrument (the harpsichord, incidentally, is a string instrument).

How is it a percussive instrument? It uses hammers to hit strings, which makes it a stringed instrument.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

sithael posted:

How is it a percussive instrument? It uses hammers to hit strings, which makes it a stringed instrument.

Instruments are classified by how the sound is produced - the hammer HITS the string, just like a drumstick hits the drumhead. It's percussive. Stinged instruments are plucked or bowed, like a harpsichord or a violin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrenochrome
Nov 22, 2007

by mons all madden
I came home for Spring break and after reading through this thread, I figured I might as well dust off my old lovely $100 Yamaha keyboard and .

I have some music training as I play the violin and guitar and the piano is something I've always wanted to play, so thanks for this thread and all the helpful people who've posted so far :)

I picked up a book on jazz theory and I've been looking at the different chord structures and chord progressions. My goal is to be able to play some old standards like Cole Porter and use the keyboard to write songs, in addition I'd also like to play some synth eventually which should come easy with practice.

I think the thing that intimidates me about the piano is just the fact that there's such a wide variety of playing styles and I want to learn them all. :(

I've been learning to play Clocks and I might pick up a book at Brookmays. Is there a book that ya'll recommend for learning the basics of composing on the keys? I can only read the trebel clef (I believe that's what it's called?) and I fear for the day I'll have to learn to read the bass clef, as I've been trained to read only trebel and I'll get confused and lose my place :gonk: (Just an excuse to practice more though I guess)