Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

Vanmani posted:

I've been playing for 14 years and it still took me well over a week to learn Space Dementia

I don't suppose you've played any of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 in those fourteen years? I'm just saying, the first movement and Space Dementia sound awfully similar in spots...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

el Trentoro posted:

I don't suppose you've played any of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 in those fourteen years? I'm just saying, the first movement and Space Dementia sound awfully similar in spots...

Yeah, "inspired by" is the general consensus I think. It's definitely an acknowledged thing. :)

BluePepper
Jun 7, 2008
I was wonder why it is that standard three note chords and played with the 1,3,5 fingering when the index and ring fingers are the most dexterous? I understand not using 2, since you want to be able to use the thumb but to me, in my very novice state, it's easier to play with 1,3,4 than 1,3,5

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

BluePepper posted:

I was wonder why it is that standard three note chords and played with the 1,3,5 fingering when the index and ring fingers are the most dexterous? I understand not using 2, since you want to be able to use the thumb but to me, in my very novice state, it's easier to play with 1,3,4 than 1,3,5

Pretty much so you can hit the 2nd and 4th with your 2nd and 4th fingers. It's all about extensibility. If you learn to use your little finger now you will be capable of more later. If you always take the slightly "easier" route of using your 4th to hit the 5th you'll never develop your 5th and it'll always be useless, always limit your playing. This is not to say there is not circumstances where it totally makes sense to use your 4th for that purpose, but for now you're just going to have to trust that developing all your fingers is a good plan and playing standard chords in that formation is part of it.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
I own a very nice stand up piano but am looking for a digital one to play at night / in my room / use for recording. Anyone know if the Casio PX100 Privia is any good? Theres someone local selling one, for $400 CDN, I'm thinking of offering $350 but can't find out how much it's worth online or any reputable reviews.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

BluePepper posted:

I think in one way it answers itself. By using 1,3,5 you further increase your ability with all of your fingers. (Even though that's not the actual reason and the actual reason is the one stated above by another poster).

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I used to be very good at piano years ago when I was younger, gave it up, and now 15 years later of course I regret it. I've been dying to get back into it, and I just came into a small bonus at work that I can use in an online catalog.

Looking at the tiny selection of keyboards they have (which aren't identified by model of course, so I have to figure it out myself), it looks as though the two keyboards they have are:

Casio WK 3300 (http://www.amazon.com/Casio-WK3300AD-Electronic-Keyboard-Supply/dp/B000H9YYLK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1219252917&sr=1-2)

Yamaha EZ-200 (http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-EZ-200-Lighted-Keyboard-Education/dp/B001521RCC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1219253130&sr=1-1)

(It also looks like there might be one more, a Casio LK 270?)

Very different, I know, and they come with a very different "price" range (we have points to spend, instead of dollars). And that's pretty much the only selection I have in the catalog. And unfortunately I can't turn my points into real money, nor are there gift cards available.

Are either of those good beginner keyboards? I kind of feel like an idiot coming in here since I know nothing about keyboards these days.

Edit: though worst case, I think I can wrangle about $350 of our budget to buy a keyboard.

Involuntary Sparkle fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 20, 2008

prozacrefugee
Jan 7, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Insparkle posted:

Looking at the tiny selection of keyboards they have (which aren't identified by model of course, so I have to figure it out myself), it looks as though the two keyboards they have are:

Casio WK 3300 (http://www.amazon.com/Casio-WK3300AD-Electronic-Keyboard-Supply/dp/B000H9YYLK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1219252917&sr=1-2)

Yamaha EZ-200 (http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-EZ-200-Lighted-Keyboard-Education/dp/B001521RCC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1219253130&sr=1-1)

Neither of these are full weight, so you're going to have problems, especially in trying to get your finger strength back. I'd honestly say spend your points on something else, as your interest seems to be more towards the piano and techniqued playing than just 'keyboards'.

Good cheap solution I found for myself is a weighted controller I got for $300 (MAudio Keystation, $500 new) and a cheap NanoPiano module. Check craigslist and you can usually cobble something together. But you will not make much progress on an unweighted keyboard trying to play piano. Even a semi-weighted is really worth much there.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

prozacrefugee posted:

Neither of these are full weight, so you're going to have problems, especially in trying to get your finger strength back. I'd honestly say spend your points on something else, as your interest seems to be more towards the piano and techniqued playing than just 'keyboards'.

Good cheap solution I found for myself is a weighted controller I got for $300 (MAudio Keystation, $500 new) and a cheap NanoPiano module. Check craigslist and you can usually cobble something together. But you will not make much progress on an unweighted keyboard trying to play piano. Even a semi-weighted is really worth much there.

After going through the thread a few times again, that's what I was thinking - thanks.

I was looking through Craigslist and found some instruments like the Yamaha YPG-625 and the DGX-505 for good prices. My husband is just concerned about spending the money on something from Craigslist, it malfunctioning/breaking, and then being out of luck. Is there anything to ward against that? Do warranties transfer?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I recently asked my teacher about a decent keyboard to use just for practicing when I can't get to the piano (I have recently discovered that I like having roommates but HAAAAATE having people listen to me practice) and he reccomended the Casio Privia. They go for about 600 new but I have already seen one on Craigslist for 350 so I'm looking into it.

prozacrefugee
Jan 7, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Insparkle posted:

Do warranties transfer?

Nope. But often times you'll find music equipment advertised in the box, which usually means the person didn't fill out the warranty and only used it a few times. Most of your problems with anything decent are going to come from wear anyways, and aren't going to happen in 90 days.

Depending on the amount of space you have you can also often find people giving pianos away for the cost of moving them. Hire a tuner for a few hundred, and you're good.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Well, my husband has said that he trusts me with the decision on it, so it's down to me. We don't have room for a piano, unfortunately, as we're still in an apartment and looking to buy a house/townhouse next year. (er, not that I have to run purchases by him, but for things like this we like to discuss together)

So the Yamaha DGX 505 and YPG 625 are both good, then? I'm seeing these on my local Craigslist. Are either of those better than the other?

I apologize for such beginner questions :( I guess I'm not sure what to ask or what to look for.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

Insparkle posted:

I apologize for such beginner questions :( I guess I'm not sure what to ask or what to look for.

That's what this thread was made for :)

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Insparkle posted:

Well, my husband has said that he trusts me with the decision on it, so it's down to me. We don't have room for a piano, unfortunately, as we're still in an apartment and looking to buy a house/townhouse next year. (er, not that I have to run purchases by him, but for things like this we like to discuss together)

So the Yamaha DGX 505 and YPG 625 are both good, then? I'm seeing these on my local Craigslist. Are either of those better than the other?

The DGX series is "lightly weighted" and the YPG is properly weighted. They're pretty drat similar in other respects, but the 505 is an older version (current equivalent is the 520 I think) so the 625 is probably the way to go. Either way they both ought to be good enough to practice on. Just don't expect to record your number 1 jams on them.

prozacrefugee
Jan 7, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Vanmani posted:

The DGX series is "lightly weighted" and the YPG is properly weighted. They're pretty drat similar in other respects, but the 505 is an older version (current equivalent is the 520 I think) so the 625 is probably the way to go. Either way they both ought to be good enough to practice on. Just don't expect to record your number 1 jams on them.

As long as you've got full weight you can always upgrade your sound quality with either a module or a software program, turning the keyboard into a controller. Definitely go for the full weight.

Welcome back! I took 10 years off for turntables and hitting things with sticks, and it's great to be playing keys again!

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Ok, I think I'm diving into this. THANK YOU guys for all of the help so far, I'm extremely excited! Getting back into piano was my main goal for this year, and I'm anxious to get started!

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION
Okay I can sight read and learn songs fine, but I have absolutely no idea what im doing when I improv.

If the chord is Cmaj7, does that mean my improv should start on a C and only use the keys C E G B? Or can i use any key in the C major scale (provided thats the key im playing in.) If I can use any key than whats the difference between improving over Cmaj7 and Dmin?

Also if a song uses the obvious chords (I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, vii(o) for a major scale) then improvising over all those chords would involve the same set of notes wouldn't it? How do you make the improv sound modal when the chords change?

Also if a chord progression moves from Cmaj to Cmin, does that constitute modulation? If I start in the C major scale and play a Cmin chord what key is that modulating to?

edit: this place really needs a theory forum

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

I found and bought a digital piano!

I am very excited :) I found (what I believe is) a great price on a Casio Privia PX 720 at Costco (looks like it's a UK model? I'm in the US though) - $650 - and so far it's exactly what I was looking for. My dear, loving husband bought it for me for my birthday next month.

Now to get started learning again! I bought a book quickly at Borders yesterday just to have SOMETHING to get started with. Up to Jingle Bells now, hah. :shobon:

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

fantasiser posted:

IMPROV

Okay I don't have the best grasp of this as I only studied improv for a couple of months. But my harmony knowledge should serve good for these questions.

Okay If the chord is C you can improv over that anything. However depending on their relationship to the chord it will produce different results (obviously).

So if you're solo'ing over C then you might want to do something that envolves you going from Middle C up the octave in some form while maybe adding a minor third and 6th in. If you stick with 1,3,5, you're not going to have many options for creating something so you certainly need to use the other notes. But what you really need to know is what notes will sound good and why. Relative scales,modes, chromatics etc. are all stuff that is good to know when improvising.

One thing you will want to do though is generally stay in the key signature. For example, I can tell you that C# will basically not be used if you're improving over C Major because you wouldn't alter the tonic like that.

For the second part of your question. Yes, for melody writing, solo'ing or whatever generally you stay within the chord.

For example if you could have this as your chord progression:

C+:

I - vii(6) - I(6) - ii - V - I

so the melody you write or improvise over that could be something like

c-b-(a)-c-d-g-c (The a would be a passing tone)

Also a lot of what your asking can be learned purely by ear. You won't know the technical names for what you're doing but you'll be able to do what you want :)

If any authoritative figure of harmony and improv knows better or knows I'm wrong, please feel free to correct.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
heh, have fun Insparkle.

As far as the improv. question goes, I'm not the hottest on the specifics of the theory, however for basic starter improvisation...

Look at the chord progression for a particular section. Work out any and all scales that fit within the bounds of the chord progression (if you have a key signature to look at that's likely going to be one of them, possibly the only one) by which I mean every note used in every chord is available in the scale. You may find that there is NO scales that completely match the chord progression (or that you just don't know enough fruity scales, in which case check out http://www.8notes.com/resources/notefinders/piano_chords.asp), so you might want to break the progression up into 2 or more parts and find a scale that matches each part. This is common in a lot of music, but for basic beginners improv. it's usually wise to pick progressions that all sit inside the bounds of one scale, I reckon.

Now, left hand plays the progression, right hand plays whatever the heck you decide you want to play inside the current correct scale. It's probably wise to keep a mind to your root, and there are gonna be common "avoid" notes, but I'll leave it to your ear to identify those.

To keep it real simple, just play octaves or 5ths with your left hand, this will mean you can make whatever progression you like and it'll be completely trivial for you to keep it inside the bounds of your current scale of choice.

Once you've got the hang of just letting your right hand do what seems right then you can start looking around for more advanced methods to spice it up. Baby steps and all that. I would suggest looking at the 12 bar blues (and blues scales if you haven't covered them) next. That'll introduce the idea of the passing (blue) note nicely.

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION
Hey thanks a lot for the replies guys, its one of those things where asking someone can be 1000 times more useful than reading a bunch of theory books. I've got an old rear end jazz improv book and LITERALLY the first two pages tells you to fluently memorize every diatonic 7th chord of every scale and mode in arpeggio and chord form in both hands, which would be useful to do but I don't want to spend the next 3 months doing chords exercises alone.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I really wish this thread would get more love. There has to be more piano/keyboard players in these parts than what we are seeing.

On that note(I know), I have a favor to ask of a kind and gifted musical soul. Could someone please listen to the song below and maybe transcribe(if thats the term) the song onto a sheet and post it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t16Qwoe4k-E&feature=related

The song is very touching, and short, and is towards the top of my To Learn list. I've searched high and low for lessons or sheet music for the song, but have had no luck. I definitely lack the musical skills to pick up the tune by ear, so I turn to you.

I'll be honest, I have no idea how difficult or time consuming it is to pick up a song by ear for those who are musically inclined. If what I am asking is obnoxious or demanding, let me know.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

I really wish this thread would get more love. There has to be more piano/keyboard players in these parts than what we are seeing.

On that note(I know), I have a favor to ask of a kind and gifted musical soul. Could someone please listen to the song below and maybe transcribe(if thats the term) the song onto a sheet and post it?

The song is very touching, and short, and is towards the top of my To Learn list. I've searched high and low for lessons or sheet music for the song, but have had no luck. I definitely lack the musical skills to pick up the tune by ear, so I turn to you.

I'll be honest, I have no idea how difficult or time consuming it is to pick up a song by ear for those who are musically inclined. If what I am asking is obnoxious or demanding, let me know.

I can't listen to anything at work (for some reason none of these computers has a sound card) but I'll give it a shot when I get home.

I wish this thread would get more love, too! I feel sort of weird posting in it too much because I'm the exact opposite of "new to piano" (I've been listening to it since before I was born!) but it's not like there's an "old hand at piano" thread...

Would everyone be like "get the gently caress out!" if I posted recordings of myself?

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Would everyone be like "get the gently caress out!" if I posted recordings of myself?

I really doubt it, this thread is more like the general Piano discussion thread anyways. I remember in the short-lived classical guitar thread, recordings were up on the first page.

So yeah I'd like to hear anyways, I'm a non-pianist who is working on a short piano piece right now, so if you're flashy and impressive maybe I'll try to beg you to record my piece for me v:shobon:v

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I can't listen to anything at work (for some reason none of these computers has a sound card) but I'll give it a shot when I get home.

I wish this thread would get more love, too! I feel sort of weird posting in it too much because I'm the exact opposite of "new to piano" (I've been listening to it since before I was born!) but it's not like there's an "old hand at piano" thread...

I would greatly appreciate it if you could that song a shot. I don't think it is a challenging piece, but is beyond my skill set to pick out by ear.

As far as your recordings, I think a lot of people would enjoy listening to them. Hopefully they will breathe new life into this thread and other people will post their pieces.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
drat it! Anyone know what song this is? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWj_VQPLKw

It's from a commercial that runs in most cinemas in Sweden. I want to play it. (assuming there is more)

Faux Crow
Mar 27, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Took about five minutes. Pretty simple piece. Sorry if it's a bit messy; I'm used to notating things by hand instead of using a computer program.

PerOlus posted:

drat it! Anyone know what song this is? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWj_VQPLKw

It's from a commercial that runs in most cinemas in Sweden. I want to play it. (assuming there is more)

It's likely a piece that was composed for the commercial. If you'd like, I can transcribe it for you.

And if we're sharing videos, I'll add one of my own, recorded a few years ago:

http://files.littleblackraincloud.net/videos/etude.avi

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Faux Crow posted:

Pretty simple piece. Sorry if it's a bit messy; I'm used to notating things by hand instead of using a computer program.

Thank you, I've literally been searching for this off and on for the past few months. You made my weekend!

Faux Crow posted:

Now that is loving amazing. I'm struggling to nail Rainbow Connection, and then I watch that. May I ask how long you've been playing?

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007

Faux Crow posted:

Wish I had a left hand like that.

Faux Crow
Mar 27, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Thank you, I've literally been searching for this off and on for the past few months. You made my weekend!

Glad I could help.

Hughmoris posted:

May I ask how long you've been playing?

Since I was about five. Looked up a teacher in the yellowpages and never switched. I'm currently 18; I could play that piece well at around age 13, and I sort of half-revived it for the performance I uploaded.

I'll probably hover around this thread in case I can answer questions or transcribe a few more things.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
I really think this thread should turn into Piano period.

I made it to combat the "new to guitar thread" but I'd like to talk about something more then what a g major scale is too :p

I'm all for posting recordings of ourselves. poo poo, I think I might do a progress recordings of the first piece I'm learning at university. Lizst's Liebestraum :D

Faux Crow, I'm quite impressed with your technique. poo poo, my hands would fall to jelly playing the bass part 0___0

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Faux Crow I can't seem to get the video to play - I must need some codec, and I tried to download one but it's just not working for me. What piece is it?

Couple of things:

1. I'm definitely going to record myself more often and probably post it here or somewhere. Amazing what a little fear will do to your practice motivation.

2. Oh my god, I'm sorry to everyone who listens to this - I have a lovely, lovely, lovely microphone. Wow.

3. This is part of a Bach Partita (Partita #2) and it's a work in progress. I just love it though, and also it's the thing I'm working on right now that I can play the best.

Hope I did this right.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
Bob Shadycharacter,

I love that partita; can you play the whole piece yet? Great job so far.

I actually was going through the sinfonia movement of that partita this month. Really fun piece to play.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

80k posted:

Bob Shadycharacter,

I love that partita; can you play the whole piece yet? Great job so far.

I actually was going through the sinfonia movement of that partita this month. Really fun piece to play.

I learned up to that point a few months back, then put it away, then picked it up again and now I'm working backwards from this point. It really is a lot of fun.

Faux Crow
Mar 27, 2007

Faux Crow I can't seem to get the video to play - I must need some codec, and I tried to download one but it's just not working for me. What piece is it?

Couple of things:

1. I'm definitely going to record myself more often and probably post it here or somewhere. Amazing what a little fear will do to your practice motivation.

2. Oh my god, I'm sorry to everyone who listens to this - I have a lovely, lovely, lovely microphone. Wow.

3. This is part of a Bach Partita (Partita #2) and it's a work in progress. I just love it though, and also it's the thing I'm working on right now that I can play the best.

Hope I did this right.

It's a regular AVI... oh well, here's a youtube link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA3pfrMGM70

Good job on the partita, by the way. I stuck to preludes and fugues when it came to Bach; I'd like to explore other things.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Faux Crow posted:

It's a regular AVI... oh well, here's a youtube link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA3pfrMGM70

Good job on the partita, by the way. I stuck to preludes and fugues when it came to Bach; I'd like to explore other things.

Well, I just finished everything in book one, so I'm taking a little break from preludes and fugues. And then I have to dive into book two...

Great, now I'm at work with no speakers and stuck here for the next 12 hours. >:( I'll listen when I get home. I don't know why I can't play .avi, I keep downloading codecs and nothing's happening. I'm a lot better at piano than I am computers.

Faux Crow
Mar 27, 2007

I don't know why I can't play .avi, I keep downloading codecs and nothing's happening. I'm a lot better at piano than I am computers.

With the K-Lite Codec Pack, you can play pretty much anything.

Power_13
Jan 10, 2007

mama mia!
I'm just wondering, how much of a piano/keyboard range could I get away with not using?

I'm looking out for a keyboard of some kind, but I don't have much space. I always used to ignore the first and last octaves of the digital pianos when I used them at college, but will I end up missing them in the future? I'm looking for a keyboard for recording blues-rock esque songs, possibly some live use later on.

Bloke
May 22, 2004

I have a yamaha psr290 which I bought really cheap a few months go, since then I have become engrossed in playing it, I've never used the other functions and never have it off grand piano mode.

However, it does feel quite cheap and I would like to spend a decent amount on a new keyboard (below £500/$1000), particularly something that is nice to play and sounds good. I dont want 2 million voices and all that jazz..just something that is a full size piano with a good sound and also occasionally use midi out with fruityloops.

It doesn't have to be new just out model so second hand is a possibility.

What can you recommend...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faux Crow
Mar 27, 2007
You may not have the space for it, and it may not be what you're looking for, but no keyboard can compete with a beat-up old upright that holds its tune. If you shop around, you can probably find one in the $1000 range. If you only keep your keyboard on piano mode, then you might as well invest in something that will give you the true piano sound with the real piano feel.