Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Stryguy posted:

I am learning a beginner version of Phantom of the Opera (Faber Popular Songs level 3A/B). My teacher added some chords to spice up the ending a bit, and I can't quite tell what notes I am supposed to hit. Could someone who is better with theory/chords than me tell me what they think he meant? I don't want to practice it wrong.

The chord I am referring to is the second chord in the third measure of the top staff, where I wrote 125 as the fingering. I am not sure if it's DEB or DFB? Hell maybe even EFB?? I think the chord repeats in the next measure (first measure, second staff), or is that supposed to be different?

Second chord, third measure is written out as DEB -- it looks like the second chord on the next measure is the same chord as well.

dakana fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I'm at a fairly odd place in terms of piano skill. From electives in music theory and years of guitar playing I've picked up a good bit of basic theory. Also through messing around with pianos and keyboards I have a good grasp on the notes on the piano and can read and play pop notation (chord names above the staves) decently. I can figure out somewhat complex chords (F#m7add9, for example) fairly quickly. My way of playing most vocal music is chords with the right hand and octaved bass notes with the left and I can fake through most songs. I can add in color with inversions, sustains, etc, but that's about the most of my ability.

I'd like to be able to, you know, actually read music and reasonably quickly learn pieces and phrases. I realize that a lot of that will be straight up repetition until I can identify notes on the staff quickly. Right now I do a whole lot of "face" and "every good boy" stuff and ledger lines just have me done. I'm pretty OK at reading rhythm.

I guess my question is what book(s) I should be looking at to really beef up my basic music reading skills. That and fingering work. I don't really have a good grasp on how to finger melodies.

dakana fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 27, 2014

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

juche mane posted:

A chord can't be a 7 and an add9. I suggest reviewing you theory until you have a firm grasp of both 9 chords and add9 chords.

You know, you're right. I just quickly pulled out an example to try and illustrate a point. My theory knowledge is, as I said, basic, but I am usually able to reasonably follow notation for chords beyond simple triads.

Hoshi posted:

For remembering notes on the staves, I used flash cards to get to 2 ledger lines on either side of both staves. The rest will come from playing.

Flash cards are a good idea as well. That's something I can practice when I'm not at my piano. Right on.

Colonel J posted:

It's funny, I'd say we seem to be exactly in the same place. Two things have been helping me out:

1) I play songs with chords like you do, but these days I've been doing the song's melody with my right hand and running through the chord with my left. Helps with independance a whole lot, your ears get better and you get used to playing in different scales.

2) this site: https://www.learnpianofreesheetmusic.com just trudge through it, following the difficulty ratings. It's gonna be long and painful, but it's the only way (other sites / materials are of course fine but you just gotta put the time and start at step 0).

Thanks for the link. I also realized yesterday that my ability to play chords with my left hand is abysmal. I can usually arpeggiate fifths somewhat well but desperately need to practice chords. I will definitely start going through that site and just trudging through. It does seem like that's really the only way to get proficient.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Colonel J posted:

For left hand chords, rather than hammering them out, try playing the root on the first beat and the third/fifth on the third beat (assuming 4/4). Learn to fit the melody through that rather than play the whole chord on the first beat, its much nicer this way and you can fake anything if you get that right. There has to be even better ways but I'm not a pianist, maybe others can chime in.

If you have any idea how to run Python programs, this program will print out random chords at a steady pace with a custom probability distribution. I try and follow a bit of it every day and my hands are def picking up the pace for chord shapes and inversions. Also, sometimes it sounds good, and by focusing you could probably use some of the results for very original music.

For the sheet music thing... It's gonna take on the order of months of constant practice. It really sucks, and usually people do it when they're kids so they don't even realize whats going on.

Good stuff, thank you. It also sucks that at one point when I was in 4th/5th grade I could pretty confidently sight read simple melodies for cello and I've utterly and completely lost that skill.