Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.
I'm new at piano, and thanks to my flatmate, now have an electric 88-key piano in my room. (with hammer-action or whatever it's called - what makes it have dynamics and harder to push on)

My short term goal is to be able to sight-read, practice scales/arpeggios, learn chords, and learn some pop songs.

My medium term goal is to play Erik Satie pieces, and some cuban jazz type stuff.

My long term goal is Chopin's Ballade n°1 in Gm, and other crazy Scriabin/Ligeti type stuff.

Considering that my flatmate took lessons for 10 years, would buying a book and having him correct my mistakes be good ? Or does it take somebody even more experienced, ie. a professional teacher to correct them. I'm a student, so frequent lessons are not a possibility, but infrequent ones are.

Finally, is "Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course: Lesson Book Level 1" the best book for me to get ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.
I'd like to buy a digital piano with "real" keys. I found a (second hand) Yamaha P80 for 550€, so I have a couple of (probably silly) questions :

-Can I plug it onto my guitar amp ?

-If so, how much impact will it have on the sound ? I have a Line6 Spider II 212. In the back there's a "Speaker output" thing - which I think feeds the sound directly into the speakers, without modification.

-Same question with my stereo.

-If these options don't work, what would you recommend for just room use ?

-If I want to play with a drummer, what would you recommend ? I assume I'd need a 100w amp like guitars, but that may be stupid.

-Can I send the signal into my computer via MIDI/USB, modify the sounds using Reason sounds, and then send the signal back into my stereo or amp, all without any noticeable delay ? Using another (old) keyboard, my computer, and a stereo, there was quite a sizable delay, although I minimized the sample rate on Reason.

-Should I be looking at any other models in this price range ? I want hammer thingy keys as I intend to play classical music, 88 keys for the same reason, and MIDI out to record on my computer and mess around with Reason. I don't really need that many sounds on the keyboard itself. I want easy access to a good acoustic piano, and decent pianos for more Stevie Wonder type stuff, and for blues-rock stuff. For my "mess around and make funny sounds" needs, I'll just plug it onto my laptop, unless some other keyboards in this price range offer that.

An0 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 24, 2008

An0
Nov 10, 2006
Thank you very much !
I'm almost certain I'm going to buy it now, just a question of money.