Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I'm considering buying myself a keyboard for myself again. I played when I was young, went into band and played brass for awhile as well. I really liked the piano better. I was wondering how heavy is too heavy for weighted keys? Is there such a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

My piano just rolled in today. I was going to buy a digital, but I couldn't find one that felt right to me. So against my better judgment I bought a used Harrison upright piano. $1k delivery and a tune included in the price. Unfortunately the only tuner in the area only really makes a few appearances a year so it may be a few months, but I've only found a few keys to be off enough to matter. Next step over the weekend is to find myself an instructor and a few basic books to start off with.

The goals I've set up for myself are pretty basic, but I'm pretty much a beginner.
1: Get my left hand to keep up
2: Start working on music theory again (used to play brass in HS, but have forgotten what little I knew)
3: Learn a fun song e.g. Billy Joel "Piano Man" maybe even something I could sneak a little funk into.

I'm all up for suggestions on songs and books too. I was playing around with a few different blues rhythms, but not much else as of yet.