Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I also just picked up a P95+stand and I'm happy with it. I played piano from when I was about five till I got to high school, then dropped it in favor of trumpet/marching band, but now that I'm out of college and have my own place I want to start playing again.

Can any of you recommend an ipad app for handling sheet music? I'm not against going to a store and buying paper copies but I'd rather keep everything on my ipad if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Having small hands sucks. I'm trying to learn Chopin's Prelude Op 28, No 15 (the raindrop one) and my left hand can't stretch far enough for a couple of the chords. I've been playing the highest notes with my right thumb but it's still annoying having to play around with different right hand fingerings.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I love my P-85. It's not too fancy, but it works well and I think the action feels a lot like a real piano. They run between 400-500 bucks.

Even if you think you are ok with semi-weighted keys, you should still go to a guitar center or something and just play what they have on display. When I bought my keyboard I was going to get a cheaper casio, because I thought that the action didn't matter all that much. After trying out a few different models though I really didn't like playing the one I was originally looking at. The lower end keyboards just felt clicky to me, rather than weighted.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
So I have a bunch of those standard-sized paperback piano music books that I want to make spiral bound since having the book constantly close while I play is incredibly annoying. Do any of you do this kind of rebinding on your own? I know I could just go to a FedEx store or something and have them do it, but I'm not sure if it would be cheaper in the long run to just buy one of those kits on amazon to do it myself, since I have a lot of these books.

edit:
I ended up just going to fedex and it cost me ~$3.50 per book, so if you ever need to do this just go there I guess.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 5, 2013

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You could probably find a used Yamaha P95 or P105 in that price range. The 95 was discontinued and replaced by the 105. I've got a P95 and like it a lot, it's got 2 headphone outputs and midi in/out for computer use. The speakers on mine aren't great but it sounds fine with headphones.

I like the weighted action on Yamaha digitals but that's really a personal preference thing. You might want to go to a guitar center or something and try some different brands before you try to find anything used.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It really just depends on your budget. The cheapest you want to go is probably ~$500 new for a decent 88-key electric with weighted keys. In that range it'll be something like a Yamaha P95/P105 or Casio PX-150. Obviously, the higher your budget the better the piano you can get. As far as specific brands and models it depends on personal preference.

Different brands have slightly different ways of doing the weighted key action for electrics. For that, your best bet is to go to a Guitar Center or something and try out different brands in person to see what feels the best to you. I would not actually recommend buying at a store like that though since you'll generally find much better prices online. I like Yamaha's action, and Casios felt too "clicky" for me.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I use my ipad2 (same screen size as the new ipad air) sometimes and it's fine size wise. But I still prefer actual sheets so I can have multiple pages up on the stand at once.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I've actually listened to/watched most of her videos before, my favorite is probably her Sweet Child O Mine cover. And she's cool about giving out midis or sheets for all her arrangements as long as you throw a few bucks her way via her site.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Things to pay attention to

Quality of Key Action (you'll have to read reviews or go try it)

Regarding this, I really think you have to go try it yourself. For example, in those reviews the guy reviewing them prefers the Casio action over Yamaha's, but personally I still think Yamaha's feels more like a real piano and Casio's feels too "clicky".

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Muscular Typist posted:

So I've been playing on my P105 for about 4 months now and visited my grandparents who have a real piano (albeit an old Schafer & Sons upright covered in dust).

I played moonlight sonata on it, my first time playing on an actual real piano. It sounded incredible. Like chills down my spine amazing compared to a keyboard. I just want to say this thread owns for getting me to learn piano for that experience alone.

I'm really happy with the P105 but drat I want a piano now.

I've had a P95 for a few years and I was looking to upgrade to a better digital piano a few months ago because I got tired of the P95 sounds. I ended up just buying pianoteq instead. I always play through headphones anyways so the software route works fine for me and I think pianoteq actually sounds really drat good when it's calibrated properly. And you can't really beat the price if you are happy with the P95/P105 weighted keys action - $250 for the standard version, plus a midi<->usb interface versus $1500+ for a whole new digital piano.

It would be great to have a real piano but that's not really an option for me right now. Someday in the future when I actually own a real house or something I guess instead of renting a tiny apartment :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yes that is correct. For a swing rhythm eighth notes should be played like

You'll also sometimes see it written as a dotted eighth and a sixteenth even though it should probably feel closer to the triplet beat

astr0man fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 22, 2015