Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
When I was first learning I'd whore the pedal. I'd just hit the pedal and let go of the chord I was playing so I could have more time to find the next notes :p. But yeah, what sandeep said, basically varies with the style of the piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Okay so lots of good info here but I'm not new to the piano, we're old friends you see. Grew up playing piano (lessons for 8ish years), I know theory pretty well, and could play pretty well at my peak. Not amazing, but I could certainly hold a tune and could sight read some easier classical pieces without much trouble.
So then after that 8 years, throw in another 8 years where I played like once a year, and thats where I am now. I've had a dinky 29 key keyboard for a bit but I just got a 88 key weighted keyboard off craigslist and in addition to using it for writing music, I'd like to be able to actually play piano again, not just use it for writing melodies on synths and poo poo.
So
The main question I got is should I start by doing scales arpeggios etc obsessively or start learning songs (I know I should do both, but any weight which would be better to specifically focus on?)

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Noonsa posted:

I was just noticing the post amount in the "new to guitar" thread and compared it to this one. That one has almost 10 times the amount of posts.

How come there are relatively so fewer aspiring pianists?

Portability seems like it would be a big factor as it's much easier to lug around a 2 or 3 pound acoustic guitar than a 30-40 pound keyboard.

I guess the coolness factor from all the famous musicians out there seen rocking out on stage while the pianist/keyboardist is almost always relegated to the back is significant as well.

But is that all?

Now I love the guitar, I think it's a blast to play and sounds great.

But playing Nocturne op9 #2 on guitar just has nothing on playing it on piano.
Pop/rock solo instrument songs can also sound better on a piano than with a guitar in my opinion because of the fuller sound you can get using 2 hands.

Of course this isn't true *all* the time. I think guitar "smells like teen spirit" will always sound better than on the piano.

Ah well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT_n6ZyfluU#t=1m23s