Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fat Turkey posted:

Regarding the left hand issue, when learning a piece, is it better to learn the left and right hand parts at the same time, even if it is slower and more clumsy, or to learn the left and right bits seperately and then try and play them together? Got some pieces that are basically arpeggios on the left hand and a simple melody on the right which seperately I can play but together because a slow mess.

For me, when I start to learn a new piece I always practice hands separately first and get somewhat fluent with the fingerings before putting them together. Expect it to be a slow mess at first when you play hands together, it takes time and practice to get acquainted. And when you start becoming comfortable playing the section hands together, increase the speed bit by bit while putting in more dynamics and interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

trimpton posted:

I have been working on this song and got confused with the notation. At the start of the line it explains which lines are sharp for the bass clef but on the same line it switches to the treble then back to the bass without indicating new sharps for the lines. Does that mean that the lines remain sharp regardless of the switch between bass/treble or that it it resets with the new notation?

Yup, the C,D,F,G sharps still apply even when they change the clefs.

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sandeep posted:

Had a question about the damper pedal. A) I don't remember the sheet music notation for it, if there is one. I've just been keeping it pressed most of the time except during chord changes or stacatto sections, but that doesn't seem right to me. However, when I play without using it the notes just don't seem to carry right. Should I not be using the damper pedal at all except for marked sections, and just learn to hold notes better, or is what I'm doing correct?

Well it depends on the style of the piece (period of which it is written). For example, for a Baroque piece, you generally should not use the pedal unless indicated. For a Romantic piece however, it is common practice to use the pedal even when the composer did not show it (sometimes they will show it at the very beginning and omit it afterwards), but this does not mean you should use it for the whole piece. Often times there will be a section where the composer changes the mood or style and you would not use it. A Classical piece lies somewhere in between, and this greatly depends on the composer. Take Mozart for example, you would use the pedal minimally, and in a piece by Beethoven you would notice a more frequent usage.

The pedal does allow you to legato much better, but you should not rely on it. An important part of legato is correct fingering. It would be better if you post the name of the piece and composer for us to tell you if it's right or wrong.

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Kerro posted:

Edit: Just read the previous page of the thread and now I'm confused about grades - has it always gone to grade 10? Admittedly I sat my exams with Trinity College rather than RCM but I thought it only went to grade 8, then Associate or something after that.

For RCM the "normal" grades go up to 10, then it branches into ARCT performer's and Teacher's. For ABRSM (the British conservatory), it goes up to 8, and that's all I know about it. I have heard of Trinity's but I don't know anything about that either.

Also to answer the skipping grades for ABRSM question, yes you can skip grades. But if I remember correctly, you have to take grade 5 practical and theory in order to do the higher grades, but I'm not so sure so better check their website.

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fat Turkey posted:

Until then I wanted more info on how often people practice and what do they practice. I imagine people do it every day, but for how long? And how much do you concentrate on which issues? Basically, what is a typical practice routine?

I'm in university now and I rarely have time to practice during weekdays. But during summer holidays I practiced an average of 2 hours everyday (depends on the day, sometimes I get lazy or tired). I usually start off with some easier study pieces to warm up my fingers, you could substitute that with scales but I can't be bothered with them anymore. Then I would practice the pieces one at a time, first by going through the whole piece once at a normal tempo, then play it slowly and correct wrong stuff like wrong notes, dynamics, and speed. I usually play the shortest pieces in the beginning, and save the longest for the end, but it all comes to one's preference.

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
During the Christmas holidays I was learning two new pieces, Rachmaninoff's prelude op 3 no. 2, and Brahm's Hungarian Dance no. 2. For the prelude I still need to up the tempo in the middle section and bring out the melody even more (my pinky :smith: ), but other than that the rest is fine. For the Brahm's I also need to up the tempo in the middle section and try not to play so many wrong notes.

I'm going to start learning Rachmaninoff's Moment Musicaux no. 1. It will be slow progress since I can't find a piano to play on campus because they will only allow students enrolled in the Music program to play them. So I will have to wait till I get home on the weekends to practice.

quote:

Anyways like many other are doing I'll state my progress etc.

Right now I'm working on three songs for my University auditions.

Good luck on your progress, especially on the fugue. It is a big pain in the rear end to learn and an even bigger pain to memorize it. I needed to play one for my piano exam and it made me go :bang:.

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Alizee posted:

Nah I'm applying to 3 different universities at different periods from march to may.

Western, Wilfred Laurier and Queens.

What's up fellow Toronto goon :canada:

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Underdog posted:

Does anyone know what grade Moonlight Sonata (first movement) is? That's one of the pieces I've dreamed of being able to play for a long time.

What Alizee said is true. It is a piece that can be very boring to the listeners if it's not played "right". It also doesn't help that it is so widely known and played, so to stand out is not easy.

But, I also suggest you to start learning it, since being able to play what you like is great joy to be had.

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Alizee posted:

Here's an update of legal classical scores:

http://vkgfx.com/scores/

Gotta go try some of that Saint Saens pc #2 solo :awesome:. But it hurts my heart so to see there's no Grieg and Poulenc on it :smith:

Thanks for the site!

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe look into one of Bach's P&F with a Beethoven sonata?

C minor from WTC1 / Waldstein; (P&F in major key) / Tempest seem like they would go nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

As an aside, I got to play on a Fazioli

Niicceeee, that poo poo costs like 100k+. Action is very good, and as you have experienced, very light as well, but I'm personally not fond of its brightness.