Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nog64
Aug 26, 2007

by XyloJW

Fat Turkey posted:

2) I'm very confident with my right hand but seem noticeably weaker with my left hand. Obviously something I have to work on, just wondering if anyone else had this and how they overcame it.

What do mean by this? Is it that the left can't hit the notes good at all, or is it that it's hard to play left and right at the same time? Anyway, I would suggest you go and learn some songs. A good one to start with is Fur Elise if you're looking for the classical track. House of the Rising Sun (notably done by the Animals)is good if your looking for arpeggios.

EDIT: Also everyone get a Fake Book. I learned a crapload from those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nog64
Aug 26, 2007

by XyloJW
Wiki puts the idea through pretty good: basically, fake books let you learn lots of songs in a short amount of time. They come in jazz, classic, gospel, rock, etc. You can start off using them by just hitting the the triad with your left hand and the melody with your right, and work it out from there.

Nog64
Aug 26, 2007

by XyloJW
Hey, I have a question: How do I write solos for keyboards (i.e. ones in old Heavy Metal songs)? Do I do the same as impov?

Nog64
Aug 26, 2007

by XyloJW
If you really wanna go for it, try learning the Turkish March. It's a pretty fast song, but drat you'll be proud to play it.

Nog64
Aug 26, 2007

by XyloJW

An0 posted:

Considering that my flatmate took lessons for 10 years, would buying a book and having him correct my mistakes be good ? Or does it take somebody even more experienced, ie. a professional teacher to correct them. I'm a student, so frequent lessons are not a possibility, but infrequent ones are.

Finally, is "Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course: Lesson Book Level 1" the best book for me to get ?

He should be able to correct you for the earlier stuff, but nothings better than getting a teacher. Can't help you on the book though, I can only tell you I only needed a chord book.