Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

This is a good topic, I wish piano got more love in comparison to the other rhythm section instruments.

I play a bit of piano. I took a year of lessons when I was 10 or so, which I regret having been so young for because I never practiced for them or anything. Still, it got me off to the right track, and that combined with a jazz band/theory class in high school means I'm able to comp along to a jazz chart pretty well, but can't really sight read any sort of sheet music and have bad coordination.

A while ago, though, I picked up three 'Master Series For The Young' books containing 'the technically easiest compositions' of a different composer for each book. The current song I had been working on (and need to get back to) is Arietta in A by Haydn.

I definitely do need to get back to it, because piano really does help show you the theory a lot better than other instruments. It's tough, though, because I can't afford lessons - I'm already taking some for saxophone - and I have very little time, between school and practicing aforementioned sax along with the drums and guitar and general theory work. Plus, other stuff in life.

Still, I'll get back at it and post my progress at some point. Right now I can only play the first half, and not completely smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Forgive me if this sort of thing has been asked a lot, but I could use a recommendation on some good practice material. I'm a to-be music major on the drum set for jazz, along with playing alto sax pretty well and messing around on the various guitars, so I'm fine as far as theory and general music knowledge goes, but my coordination and general ability on the piano is pretty awful. I can comp along to a basic jazz progression and I can play some really easy pieces (like The Beatles' Let It Be), but for the most part I can't really do anything.

What are some good beginner-ish pieces for me? I'm not talking about stupidly easy stuff like Yankee Doodle Dandee or whatever, but something reasonably easy. I've got a few books of easy tunes from guys like Schumann and Hadyn, but they're just a tiny bit above my level still. I know this isn't much info to go off of, but even an educated guess would be great.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Do I really have to be that guy that just knows Fur Elise :v:

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Yeah, I'm reasonably sure that it's the set of pieces for the young. I can kinda do them (well, the first one that I've been working on), but it's taking a long time because it's a bit of a stretch for where I'm at. I wish I could find some recordings of the songs too, but I wasn't able to via google.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

uXs posted:

lessons?

Just get private lessons. There's really no substitute for them - private lessons with a good teacher will help you get much better much faster than ANY other method. Private lessons + practice time = you'll be amazed at how fast you improve. Make sure that you find someone who's good, though, don't just pick a random name from the local music shop's list of teachers and start giving them your money when they might be an awful teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Could anybody recommend me some easy jazz arrangements for solo piano? It'd be cool to learn a few of those, but I'm not good enough at piano to just open up the Real Book and throw the chords and melody together into something coherent.