Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrenochrome
Nov 22, 2007

by mons all madden
I came home for Spring break and after reading through this thread, I figured I might as well dust off my old lovely $100 Yamaha keyboard and .

I have some music training as I play the violin and guitar and the piano is something I've always wanted to play, so thanks for this thread and all the helpful people who've posted so far :)

I picked up a book on jazz theory and I've been looking at the different chord structures and chord progressions. My goal is to be able to play some old standards like Cole Porter and use the keyboard to write songs, in addition I'd also like to play some synth eventually which should come easy with practice.

I think the thing that intimidates me about the piano is just the fact that there's such a wide variety of playing styles and I want to learn them all. :(

I've been learning to play Clocks and I might pick up a book at Brookmays. Is there a book that ya'll recommend for learning the basics of composing on the keys? I can only read the trebel clef (I believe that's what it's called?) and I fear for the day I'll have to learn to read the bass clef, as I've been trained to read only trebel and I'll get confused and lose my place :gonk: (Just an excuse to practice more though I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU