Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think you will be fine with even an entry level digital piano. As long as it has 88 keys and the weighting is good, you will be able to learn to play on it. I am by no means an expert player so take this with a grain of salt, but that's what I think.

I actually have basically the same question, phrased in a slightly different way. I have a CDP-120 digital piano that I've had for eight years. For awhile I was thinking about buying an acoustic piano, but then I realized I live in an apartment and move every 2-3 years and piano moving sucks, so I decided not to buy one.

But, I'm curious if a more expensive digital piano would be better in any noticeable way. Do expensive digital pianos have better keyboard-feel than entry-level ones? Is there any particular price point it levels off at? Maybe I should just buy a set of speakers? I'm finding it impossible to get good information about this online (unlike acoustic pianos, where there is tons of info), so I don't really know one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I forgot until this night how cheap classical performances are! I just saw a really good performer play 3 Beethoven sonatas and it only cost me twenty bucks. I spend more on that in a week on coffee beans

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

My old headphones are shedding all over my keyboard.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Major keys, minor keys, it doesn't really matter. I find that some keys inspire a sense of personal inadequacy, compassion for the pianist and rage at the composer: these are, of course, keys where the 5 black keys are all in the key signature.

Speaking of digital pianos, I'm looking for a sample library; does anyone have recommendations? I'd like to start recording from my digital piano, and I figure MIDI to my PC -> sample library is the way to go. I guess I would be willing to pay up to $200 or so but obviously I'd rather pay less.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I'm considering replacing my old CDP-120 and buying a new digital piano. However, I'm a bit confused about "half damper". It seems like most pedals are binary, and can only do full sustain or no sustain. I don't want this. Some pedals are advertised as supporting "half damper". Among half damper pedals, some support three distinct signals (full damper, no damper, and the aforementioned half damper) and some support a continuous signal, where you get a high-fidelity signal in the MIDI out showing exactly how pressed down the pedal is.

My question is: Does it actually matter whether my digital piano supports only three states or a continuous set of states? Is there any way I would ever care about this? Assume I'm using the digital piano mostly as a MIDI controller (thanks for the recommendations earlier on this, by the way).

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I have the Knox Gear Z stand and am happy with it. It's pretty stable, although the keyboard isn't really locked in place so it's not impossible to move it accidentally.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I think it’s still considered the best idea to buy “The Piano Book” if you’re in the piano market.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

It’s very common to have children take piano lessons. I think it used to be even more common in the past than it is now, especially since digital pianos exist today (which means a family with a house is still probably only going to bother buying an acoustic if their kid sticks with the instrument for several years).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I’m ashamed to admit I would probably use 4