Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho

That interpretation is uh.... a bit ridiculous 0_o Much too fast IMO and that of my professors/peers.

Anyway, I'm Alizee the banned OP and currently I'm working on Mozart's Piano Concerto #20.

Man, playing a piano concerto is such a beast 0_o Every page is hard and there's like 30 pages to learn UGHHHH WHY AM I COMPETING WITH THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho
Most likely no improv for me :p It's just the concerto/aria competition that my university puts on every year. I'm graduating this year so I might as well give it a shot.

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho

CowOnCrack posted:

Welcome back. Yes, this one is quite fast, and many of his performances in this album are unnecessarily fast, but not this one. This one is just perfect.

I've never heard Concerto #20 (how many are there? I have probably only heard 2-3). Good luck man.

Mozart wrote 27 Piano Concertos. Despite this large number, he only wrote 2 in the minor key! Since I am a lover of all things minor, clearly I would pick Mozart's Piano Concerto no. 20 in d minor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkjRz2Anz6A

Just part of the first movement.

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho

CowOnCrack posted:

Welp I am super happy, I got accepted into the Applied Music Program at my local CC. Going to be super busy with it - 6 hours of required practice a week on campus, a private lesson and performance class every week, plus group piano class and a lesson off campus. Today I was doing music (mostly) from 9am to 9pm!

Also going to be working on like 5 pieces at once but I'm sure I'll get used to that quickly. Looking forward to the following repertoire:

Prelude and Fugue in C Minor, WTC Book 1
Prelude and Fugue in B-flat Major, WTC Book 1
Prelude in G, WTC Book 2
Mozart Fantasia in D Minor
Chopin Prelude in e minor

:]

Cool repetoire! I think I picked all of those pieces for my grade 7 or 8 examination. I know I played the c minor fugue for my university auditions. =)

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho
It might be worth getting the RCM Syllabus. They take a great deal of classical pieces and group them into grade levels. I assume RCM isn't standard where you live because you would probably already use it, but the Syllabus might be a nice tool for easy reference despite not actually using their system.

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho
Ok guys so I really need some help choosing a romantic repertoire piece for this year.

I have a fairly full plate preparing a Concerto for a competition in a few months time, so it can't be a ridiculously demanding piece.

My teacher has ruled out three of my choices for what I wanted to do:

Chopin's Ballade in g minor (Played F Major last year)
Any of Chopin's Scherzos
Scriabin's etude op 8 no 12

The types of romantic pieces I have played in the past and been fond of:

All of Chopin's Nocturne's but specifically: e minor, c# minor, c minor, E flat major
Chopin's Ballade in F Major
Liszt's Liebestraum
Rachmaninoff's prelude in g# minor

My professor wants me to play the prelude in b minor opus 32, but it's kind of bland to me.

I want something with a lot of drama and a lyrical melody with interesting chord progressions as well as some showmanship and wow factor because I will be performing it in studio for fellow students.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho

Kolodny posted:

Perhaps something from Liszt's Annees de pelerinage? Au lac de Wallenstadt is short and a bit similar to Liebestraum.

LIstened to it and it's a bit too easy. I want something that will still provide challenge for me. I guess I should have said that the list of pieces I wrote, are not of the approximate difficulty I want, just the general style of romantic pieces that Im more inclined towards. I played the liebestraum 5 years ago.

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho
Well I think I've come to a conclusion to do two easier romantic pieces that I like instead.

Scriabin's Etude Op 2 no 1 & Chopin's Waltz Op 64 no 2

=)

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho
Keep doing what you're doing. I've studied with some pretty amazing pianists and they would all advise you to actually be EVEN MORE conscious of your practicing. Because making your brain work hard in practice, allows it to go into auto pilot mode on certain things you don't want to be worried about during a performance.

Things like body tension are actually very important for a performance. If you actually make mental notes while you perform a piece in practice of where you're going to relax, how your hand is going to be positioned, what weight of the hand will make the sound and other things like that, they will hopefully, by the time you perform, be engrained in your memory and will help you with a better performance.

Honestly, things like "he can play it faster than I can quicker" has nothing to do with you using your brain during practice. He might just naturally learn things quicker than you, or practice more.

Repetition for repetition's sake, is mostly pointless. If you're not thinking consciously of everything you're doing while you're practicing, you're not practicing hard enough. Your brain should be engaged from start to finish of the practice. You should be trying to incorporate as many good habits as possible. You should be varying the speeds at which you play through passages. Over tempo, under tempo, at tempo, in various rhythms of 2's and 3's. All of this will help solidify passage work.

I have a hell of a time learning notes. It's frustrating that other pianists can sight read what it takes me 2-3 weeks to learn. But in the end, we end up at the same point, because I put in the time and effort to do what I need to. Sometimes I even beat them in competitions :)

Hope this helps you a bit.

Annies Boobs fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 20, 2012

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho
I don't know how you could "fake it". If I hear you playing bad, you're playing bad. There's no faking solo piano repertoire.

I didn't learn the c minor prelude & fugue until I was 16. I started playing at 8. So take that as you like?

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho
Also it's just placing emphasis on the F and the G. They're important so bring them out in your voicing of the notes.

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho
Does anyone know where I can get a midi, or orchestra only version of Mozart's Piano Concerto in d minor?

I'm home on the break, don't have my professor/accompanist here, and I need to start playing with the orchestra to get a feeling for the emotion of certain sections.

It's difficult to imagine certain dynamics when the score has minimal dynamic markings in it and all these crazy passages linked together.

Midi would be preferable so that I can work at various tempos. 132 is loving fast for this!

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho
Too soon, your teacher probably isn't very good. That piece is a Grade 7 RCM level piece. I wouldn't touch it for a while.

Also, people seem to forget there are some fairly speedy parts to that piece! Sure you might be able to stumble through the arpeggios, but I sincerely doubt you can do any justice at all to the B section.

Annies Boobs fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 26, 2012

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho
If you're wanting some Chopin play his easy nocturnes!!!

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho

Elephunk posted:

Which are the easy nocturnes? I also have access to the Polonaises. :buddy:

Well I don't know how novice you're talking about here but his easiest that I enjoy.

Nocturne in c#- no. 20 op. posth (grade 7-8)
Nocturne in Eb+ op. 9 no. 2 (grade 8-9)
Nocturne in e- op. 72 (grade 8-9)

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho
It has grades 1-10 with 1 being the absolute beginner and 10 being the quite proficient range. And then after that is ARCT which is any piece that's outside of the 1-10's difficulty and what you have to complete if you want to be certified as a teacher etc.

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho

Jazz Marimba posted:

This is amazing and I wish it could be added to the OP. Thanks a ton!

Yeah it might be time for me to make a new OP with all this information we've written added into it. It's really bare.

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho
Minor 6th is the easiest for me! Theme to Love Story!

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho

Ron Don Volante posted:

I took like 10 years of piano lessons as a kid and just recently have gotten back into regular playing. Not having a piano teacher anymore means that I'm kinda at a loss for music to play. I'm looking for classical music in the intermediate range of difficulty--I like Satie, Debussy, Chopin, Rachmaninoff, pretty much anything except maybe not so much Bach. Does anyone have recommendations on what to play or any good compilations of sheet music?

Lately I've just been playing well-known stuff like Chopin's Raindrop prelude, Debussy arabesque, Lizst's Liebestraum etc but I'm running out of ideas.

Pick out your favorite Nocturnes, Mazurkas, Waltzes, of Chopin and play the gently caress out of those until you're good enough to play his Ballades and Scherzos and then play the gently caress out of those too.

Play through some Debussy preludes, get all the greatest hits out of the way.

Play through some Rachmaninoff Preludes.

For a list of pieces that I love, which you might too because I have played all three of those pieces you mentioned. Play these:

Chopin:

Nocturne in Eb+
Nocturne in c-
Nocturne in c#- post.
Nocturne in e-
Waltz in c#- opus 64 no 2
Prelude in e-
Prelude in c-
Mazurka in a minor opus 17 no 4
Ballade in g minor
Ballade in F Major
Scherzo in b minor
Fantasie Impromptu

That's off the top of my head.

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho
Finale can do that I believe, same with Sibelius.

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho
So one of my professors told me that I get an automatic pass in my piano accompaniment class if I can find which Chopin piece has 5/4 measures in it I think? I believe that's what he said. He said I'll never find it cause it's in some obscure piece.

Any help goons?!

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho

Ror posted:

Third movement of Piano Sonata No. 1, Op. 4. Boom.

Is that the only one? If so thanks a bunch!

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho

Ror posted:

Third movement of Piano Sonata No. 1, Op. 4. Boom.

I looked at two different scores on imslp.org and neither have any 5/4 in the 3rd movement?

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho

Ror posted:

The very first complete one has it.

http://conquest.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/b/b8/IMSLP88219-PMLP02362-Chopin_Op_4_Haslinger_8147_First_Edition_1851.pdf

Page number 14, the larghetto part. Your professor was right though, it really is tucked away in there.

Lol, I was just dumb I didn't realize it was a 4 movement sonata. Haha, thank you! We'll see if my professor holds up to his word hahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annies Boobs
Jul 1, 2010

by T. Finninho
I don't know who you're trying to impress with "flashiness" for a short piece. But you'd never impress me with Prelude in c minor. It's very easy. Even at a blistering tempo (which is kind of ridiciulous) I'd much prefer to listen to other "difficult" music.

Play Chopin Etude Op 10 No.4 and I'll be impressed :)