Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

I haven't used that specific book, but Czerny is Czerny and I've done lot of Czerny. I wouldn't suggest it to replace Hanon necessarily, but it's a great series of technique exercises that's actually in a range of keys. Personally, I prefer Hanon to get the fingers moving and it's easy enough to transpose, but Czerny is fine for some variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Another vote for the P90. Nice little digital keyboard, especially for that price. Check out the condition, but if it's good jump on it.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

No repertoire's complete without Liszt, but there's so much Liszt...

There's probably something obvious that should be at the top, but I've been playing around with his Annees de Pelerinage recently and Nos. 2 and 3 of the First Year, Au lac de Wallenstadt and Pastorale, are light, quick, and very fun to play. The 2nd one especially is absolutely beautiful, plenty passionate as a major key piece.

Speaking of improvisation, maybe a bit off topic but I read this piece the other day that talks about the subject. Absolutely amazing what some people can do on the fly.

Kolodny fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 18, 2011

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

that Vai sound posted:

I don't know if this is better suited for the electronic music thread or here. I'm mainly interested in a digital piano with weighted keys for playing classical music. As a side hobby, I'm also interested in a keyboard that can be used with computer software (such as Cubase) to input sounds. For example, I use the keyboard to input a drum rhythm. Is it enough for the digital piano to have a MIDI in/out? I don't need a controller with controls for live mixing, I just want to tell the software that I want a drum sound with a pitch of 440 Hz. I have no idea if that's how this stuff works.

I'm going to guess you won't settle on anything less than 88-keys, so I'll throw out a few suggestions. If you can find one I really recommend the Yamaha KX8 (mainly because I have one and love it), but it's not manufactured anymore so it's only available used. The other one I've seen recommended is the Studiologic SL-990XP (~$500), but apparently the action isn't the best. The Akai MPK88 (~$600) also looks nice, and is what I would have gotten had I not found a KX8, but it may have more functions than you need.

Stay away from the semi-weighted M-Audio gear. If you're used to a normal piano it's quite a leap, and you can find fully weighted things for not much more.

Next you'll need either a software or a hardware solution to lower the lag in the input. If all you're doing is playing, ASIO4ALL will probably work fine. The problem with that is it's tricky to use with normal sound; you have to make sure other things using the sound are closed, or you have to have some other output that it can use. I have a card in my desktop so I don't need ASIO4ALL there, but when I pipe the keyboard through my netbook it will only go through the headphone output.

There's a whole thread on audio interfaces which you may want to peruse. If you have a spare PCI slot I recommend the M-Audio Audiophile 2496, which is relatively limited in functionality but is all you need if all you have is the keyboard. With that, you can configure any DAW or standalone VST (truepianos et. al.) to pipe through the audio interface, and you can plug things into the interface. That'll kill the lag and the audio quality will be excellent if you're doing any production.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

HornyBoy123 posted:

I guess I'm like everyone else in this thread in asking this, but here it goes:

I'm looking for the best action that $600 can buy. I don't really care much about any sounds coming out of the keys (though I won't protest if they're included) but more along the lines of using it as a controller. So in order of importance: MIDI Connectivity, Key Action, Pitch/Mod Wheels, USB Connectivity, Sounds.

edit: I'm looking for keys identical to acoustic piano keys, so Hammer Weighted (or better if that's even possible).

What I said above probably applies to you as well. I haven't used either the SL-990XP or the MPK88, but late last year when I was looking around for a weighted 88-key they were towards the top of my list. Most of what I read pointed to the KX8 having better action and I've been happy with it, but like I said it's only available used.

My comment on M-Audio was a bit misplaced;I forgot about the Keystation Pro, which apparently has fully weighted keys. May be worth a look.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

Couldn't rachmaniov do nearly 2 octaves or something equally ridiculous?

In my experience if you can do an octave comfortably then you're pretty much good for nearly all music.

Obligatory.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Lord of Laughton posted:

So any tips for playing and singing at the same time, other than practice practice practice?

It's mostly practice practice practice, but counting out loud while playing can help with the disassociation.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Woozy posted:

Any tips or exercises for developing left-hand autonomy on keyboard? I'm still a beginner and I'm really hitting a wall trying to get my left hand to do any other than mimic my right which of course makes almost every song impossible. I can do okay if the left and right are on the same beat or alternating but anything more complex than that just full stop fucks me up. :(

The key thing is to use a metronome, play slowly (hands separately, then together), and count out loud. A lot of people who I've talked to barely ever count out loud, it's amazing how much it helps with stitching everything together. If you mess up, go slower. You may get to the point where you're going so slow it feels painful, but every wrong note you hit is one more wrong note worked into your memory.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

It's a good rule mainly because when you're doing runs or similar scale-type things you end up twisting your hand a bit to get the thumb on the key, which can slow things down. Using your thumb on black keys for octaves or other large intervals should be fine.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

For no specific reason, Urtext. It's what I have and it's done pretty well, though I don't really have experience with other editions.

^^ Good to know!

Kolodny fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 8, 2011

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Angrycel posted:

Looking for some advice aswell, mainly on some new pieces to play. I feel I am getting past the beginner stage now, I can play with two hands quite well and have learnt a lot of theory. I am getting through my scales/arpeggios etc trying to learn things the 'right' way, my problem is I sit down at the piano for a couple hours and for half of that I just sorta improvise, making up tunes etc, kinda like doodling on the piano if that makes sense. This is ok but I really need some new pieces to learn that are at my skill level that I will stick at. I love sorta melancholy, nostalgic piano music so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. My knowledge of piano music beyond the obvious stuff is pretty poor.

I'm curious, are you playing with a metronome, counting out loud, etc.? If you feel relatively confident with scales and arpeggios, you might take a look at Czerny and Hanon (as well as keeping up scales and arpeggios) for warm-up and technique. For actual pieces, Bach's two and three part inventions are great beginner pieces, and Chopin's Nocturnes might be approachable if you take them slowly. Same with Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words.

Additionally, check out Chang's Fundamentals of Piano Practice, if you haven't already. Wonderfully detailed text that covers a host of things to do with practicing well.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

Can anyone recommend a beginner/intermediate jazz piano book that's not a piece of poo poo besides the Real Book? I've been working through the vince guaraldi Charlie Brown Christmas book for the past 4 months or so. I'm pretty solid at a good number of the pieces, but I feel like I will go insane if I sit down and play "Christmastime Is Here" one more time.

edit:
I bought this book with my keyboard a year ago because it seemed like the best one in the store, but it turned out to be a total piece of poo poo: http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Jazz-Complete-Book-CDs/dp/0882849603

edit again:
Whoops, just noticed that there's a big Jazz thread in this subforum. Going to look into Charles Beale's Jazz Piano From Scratch.

I've made some decent progress with The Jazz Piano Book by Mark Levine, though it assumes access to a bunch of fake book material.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

IanTheM posted:

Another thing to remember is your fingers can get better than your mental game much easier, it's harder to play Bach mentally for example than it is to simply get the notes right in each hand separately. Theory helps you memorize a lot.

I could not agree more. Theory is incredibly important, especially early on. Always take the time to write out the chord changes in a piece, and it doesn't hurt to pick up a book like Tonal Harmony and work through the material. When I was taking lessons I was generally always doing some sort of theory exercises, but I didn't start working out the progressions, blocking chords, etc. in pieces until later on, and it really hurt my sight reading progress. Knowing the theory makes picking up on new pieces much easier.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Perhaps something from Liszt's Annees de pelerinage? Au lac de Wallenstadt is short and a bit similar to Liebestraum.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

ray_finkle_himself posted:

I need an 88 key midi controller with weighted keys - whatever is closest to a real piano. Cost as low as possible. I have a full size real piano already, I just want a midi controller to practise things on while connected to my PC and to record. Also, a stand that accommodates it would be nice.

Any recommendations?

I have a Yamaha KX8 which I love, picked it up for ~$450 off eBay. Seems like that's about what they're going for now. Any standard X keyboard stand works fine.

For that price range, I think your other options are an Akai MPK88 and a Studiologic SL-990XP. Haven't tried either so I can't comment, but from what I read the KX8 seems like it has the best weighting of the three.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Haam posted:

Does anyone have any tips for loosening up? My entire loving back and arms are so tense all the time and I'm playing these pieces and obviously I can't go that fast in the prelude if my hands aren't loose.

My professor is getting really frustrated at me because of this.

This happened to me a lot when I was taking lessons, and after a while I'd get a horrible cramp in the small of my back. One thing that helped was to pay attention to my shoulders and elbows, making sure the shoulders are low and that there's some space between my elbows and my side. A lot of the time, if you aren't paying attention and it isn't second nature, your shoulders will start to creep back up and get tense, and I found that focusing on the shoulders helped everything else fall together.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

the Paper posted:

I've been trying to start practicing a lot more these days, but something that's really bugging me is that, for certain passages, my fingers play really unevenly in terms of tempo. For example, with the left hand part of the Revolutionary etude, whenever I need to play "1 3 2 3 1 2" at the top of the arpeggiated chord, I notice that it's not always even. It's true for other pieces that I learned a long time ago and am trying to relearn too, and it bugs the hell out of me! What kind of exercises are good for working out these kinks?

Try playing in rhythms, so (say) if you have a run of 8 counting in 4, you could play it 1- 2345- 6787- (etc) and then 12- 3456- 7876- (etc), where the dashed note is held longer than the others. You could pretty easily change this around and do it in 3, in 5, etc.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

unclenutzzy posted:

I started taking lessons recently after purchasing a Huntington KB61, but now I'm looking for something better. I'm having a hard time adjusting how I play at my lessons on a real piano, because I can't practice dynamics or using pedals with my keyboard at home.

I have about 500 dollars to spend, and I'd like a midi controller as I'd like to mess around on the PC with it. There's a Yamaha KX8 on ebay that I've read about, and it seems perfect for me. Are there any other models that I should look at? Thanks in advance.

If the KX8 is the sort of thing you're looking for, it's fantastic, I have one next to me right now. For that price range, I think your only other options are the weighted keyboards from M-Audio, the SL990XP, or the Akai MPK88. When I was looking around for a keyboard a couple years ago I wasn't able to actually test out any of them, and ended up picking up the KX8 because a friend recommended the weighting. I have no complaints.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWraJL8R6ew&t=155s - Beethoven Sonata No.30, perf. Marc Andre Hamelin

I love late Beethoven, and this is probably my favorite performance of my favorite Beethoven sonata. I've been working off and on with it for a while, started setting aside time to do it seriously back in March, and then ran out of time as the end of the semester hit. Luckily I graduate this week, so in my unemployment I'll have time to work with it seriously again! :downsgun: The second movement is an absolute blast, definitely something I'm holding onto if I need something quick and flashy.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Angrycel posted:

I'm looking for some shorter pieces that cannot be easily simplified, at an intermediate level, or some learning methods or ideas that force me to learn everything properly.

What kind of pieces are you playing with now? You can't really fudge Bach, and you definitely can't fudge Mozart, but Mozart's a big gap in my repertoire so I can't give any recommendations there. Bach's two and three part inventions are great, and the Gavotte from his French Suite #5 in G major has a lot of variety.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Brief article on practicing that may be of interest. Most of it is probably already familiar, especially if you've gone through Chang's book, but I saw a few neat things - "My favourite kind of slow practice is the half and half variety. For example in a semiquaver passage I will play four notes at performance tempo then four notes exactly half the speed – then reverse the groups. It can sometimes be useful to do this with eight-note groups" I hadn't thought of that before and it sounds useful to fit in.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

I have a Nexus 7 that works in a pinch for sheet music, it's just tiny. I would think that a 10 inch screen would work pretty well.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Can anyone tell me what m.s. and m.d. stand for here?

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with hand placement, the m standing for manual or something similar, but other than that I don't know what it's indicating. From the 2nd movement to Brahms' 3rd Sonata, this image is from the first measure of the fourth line.

e: nevermind, I've got it - m.d. is man droit, right hand, so m.s. would be sinister for left or whatever it is in french. Still not clear why the hand placement is odd here, it's doable with just the right, maybe the editor was feeling silly.

Kolodny fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

I don't know what you linked but the guitar amp probably would work just fine, it looks like your keyboard has 1/4" audio out