Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Annies Boobs posted:

So one of my professors told me that I get an automatic pass in my piano accompaniment class if I can find which Chopin piece has 5/4 measures in it I think? I believe that's what he said. He said I'll never find it cause it's in some obscure piece.

Any help goons?!

Third movement of Piano Sonata No. 1, Op. 4. Boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Annies Boobs posted:

I looked at two different scores on imslp.org and neither have any 5/4 in the 3rd movement?

The very first complete one has it.

http://conquest.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/b/b8/IMSLP88219-PMLP02362-Chopin_Op_4_Haslinger_8147_First_Edition_1851.pdf

Page number 14, the larghetto part. Your professor was right though, it really is tucked away in there.

Ror fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 10, 2013

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

How about Solfeggietto, by C.P.E. Bach?

This piece is super fun to play. It's deceptively easy too, aside from cranking the speed up it's just one note at a time in fairly sensible chord arpeggios.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Red Garland posted:

I've been playing guitar for almost 7 years and I would like to start playing piano aswell. Will that be hard? I read on the internet that learning two at the same time might be confusing for a beginner because a) you use different areas of fingers for both instruments and b) you use 4 fingers for the guitar and 5 for the piano, which also might be confusing. But what if I've already been playing guitar?

Disclaimer that all of this is just from a casual player of both instruments, guitar for ~5 years and piano ~3.

I went from guitar to piano, IMO piano is so, soo much easier. Not easier to master, but the learning curve is much less steep. Dynamics become important the more you play, but you'll quickly realize that you don't have any of the problems of muffled or buzzing notes or any of the issues that arise on guitar from poor finger control. In the beginning, all you have to do is press down on the right keys and the worst thing that happens is you hit the wrong one or mash two together. Poor technique doesn't necessarily hold you back from playing a basic melody like it might for a guitar first-timer. It's also far easier to make inferences about music theory, chord progressions, and stuff like inversions based on the keyboard rather than using a fretboard.

As far as fingers go, the tasks are so different that I've never really noticed any muscle confusion. Guitar finger control seems much finer, relying on precision of the finger tips. You use a lot more of the entire hand and wrist muscles for piano, but the precise spot that your fingertip hits the keys is much less important/consistent. The most challenging hand thing for piano (for me) is just the coordination required between right and left hands. The most complex lead guitar parts usually require particular focus on either the picking or the fretting but it can be a little more confusing to start playing piano pieces where your two hands have equally weighted importance and distinct musical lines.

I think the only real ramification to 4 vs 5 fingers is learning that 1 is your thumb in piano music and 1 your index finger on guitar tabs. When I'm reading tabs I automatically read a 4 as my pinky, when I'm reading piano fingering I know that my pinky is 5.

The only caveat I would have for multiple instrument learning is focus, which I admit might just be my own personal issue. I play much less guitar these days just because I've transferred nearly all of my music playing time to the piano. I'm sure it is possible to give both equal attention, but it seems very natural to favor one for chunks of time.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Mozart is a jerk. :mad:

I'm getting better at playing super-contrapuntal Bach stuff, which I thought might help my coordination, but all of my Mozart always sounds like poo poo. There's just something about the crispness and precision that you can't fake even the slightest. Even my K545 sounds awful because it's just not steady enough. I go back to Mozart every few months or so, but I've just about accepted that I don't have the right musical skillset to really do it justice.

I'll stick with my wonky Chopin rubato thank you very much. :eng99: