Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Vanmani posted:

I am not entirely sure. The YDP seems to be going for more of a Piano market, while the DGX seems to be more of a toy. However, they both seem to use the same keyboard technology. I suspect the YDP has a higher level of polyphony - the number of notes that can be played at once, it probably also has a better piano sound, although the DGX has more range of sounds. If your polyphony is lower than 64 you can start to run into trouble when playing with sustain, as notes you played earlier will get cut off unexpectedly.

Both seem to use essentially the same keybed technology though.
How much will 32 voice polyphony affect a completely new player? I've been watching craigslist, and it seems like all the options under $500 or so are 32 voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I recently bought a Yamaha P85, and it didn't come with a music rest. Is there any place to buy one online? I can't find any mention of them being sold separately.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I've been playing piano for a few months now, gotten through the first Alfred adult book with my teacher. Do any of you have any experience with blues, boogie-woogie, or ragtime piano and have some suggestions on resources or tips to getting started? I'm working through a bit with my teacher, but I'd be interested in hearing from other people who have been in the same situation as me.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

BRAAAAAAAINS posted:

I vote for the Yamaha P95, it won't disappoint. Solid piano for the price.
I can toss in that I'm very satisfied with my P85, which is pretty similar. I'm definitely a beginner, but it feels nice, and the transition to the fancy Roland at my lessons isn't particularly jarring. I don't really find myself using any of the other sounds on it, but I probably would if it had a jazz organ like the P95.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Zhent posted:

I'm in rather a similar position, my wife learned the piano 20 years ago when growing up and we've both talked about it, so we are looking into finding a relatively cheap keyboard that is close enough so that we can play an acoustic piano my parents have at their house.

I looked at both that Williams and this Casio: http://www.amazon.com/Casio-CDP-120...ywords=cdp-120. If you puchased that Williams keyboard I'd be very interested in hearing how you like it.
For both of you, I'd check your local Craigslist for a Yamaha P-85 or P-95. I have the 85, and while it's pretty no-frills, it does have fully weighted keys and sounds decent. I've played on it for a couple of years now and had zero regrets with buying it. I'd expect them to run $350-500 depending on whether you get the older one/find a motivated seller/find one with a stand thrown in.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Trig Discipline posted:

Your friend is out of his loving mind and you should buy it before he sobers up. If it turns out not to suit your needs, you can probably turn around and sell it for twice what you paid, so what's the risk? Just make sure everything's working properly, because repairs can be expensive.

Failing that, for what you say you want the Korg Stage Vintage piano is also very nice. Not as flexible as the Electro in some ways, but new it's $1000 cheaper. I bought mine off Craigslist for $950 and love it like crazy. Sounds like sex incarnate, and the weighting is my favorite I have ever played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_BPiScinrk
I massively second this whole "out of his loving mind" thing, and I wish I had a crazy friend like that. The Electro's keys are semi-weighted, but definitely not piano weighted. One option would be to jump on the Electro and pick up a second weighted keyboard to control it and its fancy piano sounds, although this adds up the price and space requirements.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I've been having some trouble getting a good practice routine going and making progress recently, and thought I'd check if anyone had any advice. I've been working on the Solfeggietto mentioned a few posts back, and just not making much progress with putting together the individual pieces, particularly with the bigger jumps up and down the piano. Any thoughts for someone who's not really a beginner anymore, but who's experiencing some really slow/nonexistent progress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Guigui posted:

In other words, do the more modern / expensive / full pianos have a more "weighty" feel to the keys - similar to the FP-10? Should I get used to the heavier of this mechanical keyboard if ever would like to play on a more expensive instrument? Or, are there 'better' digital pianos out there that have a hammer action superior to the FP-10?

Much appreciated, thanks!

I can’t speak to the acoustic piano question, but there are definitely other quality digital pianos with different/lighter feels. Of the main ones I see recommended, the Rolands seem to be pretty heavy with the Kawai ES110 recommended for a lighter action.