Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
My GF got a nice Casio keyboard and I want to get back into piano (I played for 5 years as a kid). I want to try out jazz piano, are there any recommended books/lessons on the subject?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Looking for an electronic keyboard (61 keys+) for composing/music production. I'll probably hook it up to my laptop for MIDI. I don't intend on playing full songs on it or even gigging but I'd like something that feels pleasant enough to play for at most $400 (which is too cheap for weighted keys). I will probably store it when not in use so something that isn't too heavy.

Honestly I'm tempted by the starter digital pianos (88 keys, weighted), but those only come with a handful of piano voices and are too expensive/heavy for me right now. I don't feel like I'll need fancy auto-accompaniment features though, but they might come in useful?

The shortlist:
Yamaha PSR-E373 (looks like it has everything I need)
Casio CT-S400 (seems to be the nicest in terms of sounds and playing experience, but has less features)
Casio CTX-700 (seems like the Casio equivalent of the PSR-E373)

There seem to be newer or higher-end models for the ones I listed (PSR-E473, CT-S500, CTX-800) so I'm considering those as well. I've mostly played on an old Weinstein upright as a child so I'll probably be spoiled on the real deal, but I do have the itch again to play/make music...

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Where do you get your sheet music? I'm sure most classical/well-known pieces are sold in scorebooks, but even when I was a kid I used a clearbook and my teacher would hand me out copies to put in them.

Musescore seems to have a large library of them, could you just download and print those on letter bond paper?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Just to add: I want to play a lot of game music, which might be expensive to get the legit way, so transcribed pieces is fine.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Anyone use an ipad or tablet for sheet music? I assume there are apps designed for it. Would you recommend it?

That's the first thing I considered actually because I don't have a printer at home and dislike having to scrounge for scores on the internet but also I don't have a tablet and would have to splurge for a decent one so back to clearbooks and printed scores it is

I'd imagine anything less than 10" is a no-go

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
sorry for the double post, but what would you look for a keyboard bag/case? Due to space concerns I will need to stash mine (it's a Yamaha PSR-E373) when not in use, and it will have to be vertical, so I am looking to get something with good padding on the sides. Still concerned I might break the keyboard storing it that way, though.

We don't have a lot of choices in this country but at least we have Gator cases, though they seem to be a tier above in terms of pricing. Any recommendations?

I don't see myself gigging or even taking it outside (maybe once a quarter at best) so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Can someone help a beginner? I'm hoping to add piano/keyboards to my list of instruments I know, but can't really play. Goal is to be able to bang out some country tunes and have fun. Will something simple, like a Casio LK-S250 do me just fine, or is there benefit to getting something fully weighted, like a Roland FX-10?

Also happy to get alternatives to the above, they're just what are usually recommended.

Go to a music store and try them out. Maybe fully-weighted is overkill, or maybe you'll find you need it anyway. Beginner digital pianos will only have a handful of tones as compared to arranger keyboards, too. If piano is what you really want then get a digital piano, as you won't have to retrain yourself on fully-weighted keys if you decide to upgrade.