Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
I took less than a year of piano way back when I was a kid and got bored then, regretting it now. Instead I went on and played trombone for a good 8 years or so, ended up playing a lot of jazz, so improv is not a big deal.

In my adult life, I enjoy writing/producing music, mainly electronic and stuff, but I find a sticking point is intuitively being able to come up with chords and chord progressions. Since the trombone is monophonic I didn't have to worry about coming up with chords. So I figured maybe I should try to take up piano again. Any ideas on how I should approach this? I'm not terribly interested in the performance aspect. The jazz book mentioned in the thread looks good.

It's not that I can't come up with chords and chord progressions by ear, it's just that the process is pretty trial-and-error. I just want to get that intuition!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU