Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

I should be working on Summoner 3 instead of engaging in political discussions
I used to play piano as a kid.. (like 15 years ago) and was decent, I guess. I stopped playing for a long time, and just started playing again. Got a decent keyboard and started learning some old pieces that I knew and some new material.

Had a question about the damper pedal. A) I don't remember the sheet music notation for it, if there is one. I've just been keeping it pressed most of the time except during chord changes or stacatto sections, but that doesn't seem right to me. However, when I play without using it the notes just don't seem to carry right. Should I not be using the damper pedal at all except for marked sections, and just learn to hold notes better, or is what I'm doing correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

Lamb Virtuoso posted:

The pedal does allow you to legato much better, but you should not rely on it. An important part of legato is correct fingering. It would be better if you post the name of the piece and composer for us to tell you if it's right or wrong.

The pieces I've been playing are Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata.. both of which I seem to be using the pedal the majority of the time. (well not in the second movement of fur elise). In Moonlight Sonata I let off and on whenever the arpeggio changes.

I've also been learning some pop junk like Brick by Ben Folds Five, which I have the pedal down for most measures except the bridge.

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

dingolord posted:

I'm a guitarist with extensive theory and jazz knowledge looking to pick up piano partly for kicks, to increase my knowledge, do some recording and perhaps someday to play in a band setting. I'm looking at the Yamaha YPG-625 which seems to have everything people here are recommending, but has one glaring problem: no audio output. It seems bizarre to me to spend nearly a grand for an instrument I couldn't plug into an amp someday if I so desired.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a sub-$1000 88 weighted key keyboard with an audio out?

I have the YPG-625 and I use the headphone jack for audio out.