Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Cragz posted:

Bit of a progress update, the lessons are going well and after a month I'm hammering out basic Christmas carols and playing as well as [an average child] who's been learning a year, apparently. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, but it's better than a child who's been learning a month, so I'll take it!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to ABRSM graded exams and, after looking at the syllabi I don't think it's too much of a stretch for me to be ready for grade 2 early next year. My question to UK piano goons is: Do I have to get the certification for grade 1 under ABRSM before I try something higher? Failing that, is it possible to sit through multiple exams in one session?

Ta!

Unless they've changed things, no, you can start at any level since there's relatively little point for most people sitting exams until they have a bit of practice done. I can't recall, but I think the first exam I did was grade 3 or 4 after a year or two of lessons.

I've just started learning again after a break of 10 years and am pleased to see that I remember more than I thought I would, but I was wondering if someone can recommend a book I could buy on chord theory, including scales, arpeggios, various exercises for learning and remembering different chord types and transitions etc. I don't really remember my exercises very well, and once I've got back into the swing of things I'm eventually hoping to sit the grade 8 exams since I previously stopped at grade 7 so I'll need to remember all the theory side of things.

Edit: Just read the previous page of the thread and now I'm confused about grades - has it always gone to grade 10? Admittedly I sat my exams with Trinity College rather than RCM but I thought it only went to grade 8, then Associate or something after that.

Kerro fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 5, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Fat Turkey posted:

Not much has changed since my last update. After initial fast progress with the theory, been hitting a brick wall recently. This is mostly in the form of being quite happy with my right hand but very poor with my left hand. As I said last time, i'm probably going to try and get a piano teacher for a few lessons and see how it goes from there.

Until then I wanted more info on how often people practice and what do they practice. I imagine people do it every day, but for how long? And how much do you concentrate on which issues? Basically, what is a typical practice routine?

I've been practicing every day for 1-2 hours. I normally warm up with practice exercises, scales and arpeggios. When I'm leaning a piece, I usually start out playing it once through slowly then start practicing over and over the areas that are giving me difficulty at a slow speed until I start to feel more comfortable with them. If I'm becoming more confident with a piece then I'll play it through at full speed to try and find any areas that are still causing problems.

Once I can play the piece comfortably and at full speed, I start working on refining my interpretation of it, and this is when I'd start to add more subtle dynamics. I try to have one piece at this stage at any given point of time and another 1-2 pieces that I'm still learning to play correctly.

I have a question about practice though - I often get to the stage with a piece where I can play all the sections of it comfortably, but when I try to play the whole thing simply because of the length of the piece I'm inclined to screw up once or twice. What's the best way to practice at this stage? Just repetition at a slow speed? It's not that I screw up in the same place or anything, just that I'll occasionally mis-hit a key or get the timing slightly off and find it really hard to iron out the last few issues like that.