Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
That's not always true, there are times you'll be playing on the bottom or top staff with both hands but usually it'll either be marked with something like R.H., or it'll be painfully obvious that you couldn't do it with one hand. I can't really think of any examples off the top of my head. I believe quite a bit of Liszt pieces that have runs like that, and I remember it being in a piano solo set of Rhapsody in Blue. It's not common but you'll know when you see it.

In a lot of modern pieces or rag time sometimes you'll see some notes you couldn't possibly hit with your left hand appear on the staff anyway. I think it's probably more of a software/sheet music problem, but either way it's usually obvious. (i.e. your left hand is hitting a low A and there's also a middle-C on the staff, that kind of thing)

Haydez fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 23, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
Also for consistency. A good example is Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique here: http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/make-table.cgi?collection=beetson&preview=1 There's a PDF.

The part starts on the bottom line of the 3rd page. The switch between the climbing bass into the climbing treble. All while keeping the waltz-like passage in the left going.

edit: oops, forgot to say scroll down to Sonata No. 8 “Pathétique” (1st Movement: Grave, Allegro molto e con brio)

Haydez fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 25, 2008

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
Silly question, but are you stepping on the pedal when you power the keyboard on? If you are that is likely the problem, if you're not, give it a try and see if it it reverses it.

Most pedals usually come with a little tiny switch on them to toggle it.