Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I'm looking to pick the piano back up. I used to play a bit when I was young but haven't really played since I got my grade 3 back in 2000. I've been working my way through Adult Piano Adventures to ease my way back into it but I'm thinking I should probably start seeing a teacher to help me with technique/nipping bad habits in the bud etc. My question: piano lessons are expensive so how little can I get away with? A lot of teachers here offer 30min lessons; would 30mins every other week be OK or not enough? Taking into account I'm not a complete novice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I've just got a Roland FP10 digital piano to replace my old keyboard with 61 unweighted keys etc. It also means I now have use of a sustain pedal for the first time, but my stupid uncoordinated hands and feet don't want to use it properly. I'm struggling to lift off and then press back down on the right note (tend to do it too early mainly but sometimes I over correct and do it too late), also I've developed a habit of not holding the notes for the correct amount of time when the pedal is down for some weird reason.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

landgrabber posted:

my teacher told me part of my practice should be doing the five finger scale patterns on all notes -- i'm wondering how the hell i do them when the root note is on a black key? what do i use instead of my thumb?
As a rule with major scales that start on black keys: with the RH you usually you start with finger 2 and tuck your thumb under when you move from a black key to a white key, with the LH you usually start on finger 3* and tuck your 4th finger* over when you move from a white key to a black key. (*the exception is F#/Gb where you'd start on finger 4 and tuck your 3rd finger over.)

This is what I use anyway, I'm not sure there are "accepted" fingerings for the scales since I've seen more than one suggested for the same scale. If you have a teacher it might be best to ask them.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Just had my first piano lesson in about 22 years. Her piano is massively out of tune in the lower registers, but she didn't pre-warn me or make any reference to it. What's the etiquette here, would pointing it out be considered rude?

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I'm learning Gymnopedie No. 1. How do you play this bit? Like specifically what are you meant to do with the F#?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Udelar posted:

Strike initially with right hand. Move it out of the way to hit with l.h. As you move l.h. out of the way to hit the next bass note,keep the key held down with r.h, moving it out of the way when left hand refreshes the note. It trades off between hands with l.h striking it on beat 2 each measure and r.h doing the important work of holding it down in place.
Ah yeh, this sounds way better than just omitting the note from the LH. Thanks!

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I bought an FP-10 and one thing I've learned since buying it is that it doesn't support proper half-pedalling (apparently the FP-30 and onwards do). Makes no difference to me at my lovely level but might be worth considering if you need that.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I have a recurring problem where the melody in the RH often gets drowned out by the LH accompaniment, so to fix it I need to play a bit softer in the LH and/or louder in the RH, but I find if I try to correct one hand the other just follows suit. Any tips on how I can improve this?

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Very cool thing about learning the piano as an adult: struggling with a section of a piece you're learning so you go to youtube to see how it's meant to be played, only to be greeted by a literal 5 year old playing the whole thing way better than you can https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9E8X_Rl06w

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

When you say real songs do you mean melodies? Because I think in PianoForYou you don't start that until Book 5 or 6 ("Ballad Style"), everything before is accompaniment, i.e. chords and rhythms. Full disclosure I haven't gone through PianoForYou, only skimmed the content.

I also echo the sentiment above about everything you play feeling like lovely toy pieces for ages.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Question regarding playing something that has huge jumps, like the left hand in Gymnopedie no 1 or I guess pretty much any stride piano/ragtime piece. At the moment my MO is to just memorise the piece so I can look at my hands to make sure they jump to the right places, but this means if I gently caress up I can't then refer back to the music to pick up where I left off because I've lost where I am. Is the goal ultimately to learn to make the jumps without looking at the keys so I can concentrate predominately on the music, or is it fine to look at your hands when making jumps like this, just making sure to take regular glances at the music so as not to lose your place? My teacher has suggested occasionally practising trying to make these jumps with my eyes shut, but I only get it right perhaps one in every 5 or 6 attempts so I don't really know what it's achieving.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

My poor wording - it's more trying to start again having stopped and returning to the start of the bar or phrase, rather than having hosed up. If I just carry on as if nothing has happened it's fine.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

The functionality you want (if you need something to search for) is bass sustain. I don't think I've ever seen it on a digital piano, for the ones I've looked at the middle pedal (if there is one) has always been sostenuto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Feeling festive. What's a good book of Christmas music arrangements for piano, suitable for up to perhaps grade 5 or so?