Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hey guys

I mainly play guitar but play a little piano as well.

I am on the road a lot for work and live in a hotel room for about 3 days a year. I've been recording guitar parts using an iRig and some iOS apps!

Is there a good keyboard controller that works well for on the road travel?

So far my research has shown CME Xkey and also the Korg microkey (nanokey) stuff but I haven't had a chance to touch any of them in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Intermediate piano player here. Have a white upright in my foyer, but I just bought a new house and have a bonus room upstairs. It definitely needs an electric piano.

I’m looking for 88, weighted, midi out. What’s the current recommendation up to $1000?

Looking to write some songs and practice with synthesia and record using reaper and logic.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I would look more at FP-30x and etc

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Alfred books are so good because direct your finger placement. Piano is about when/where to put what fingers in the spot.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Seventh Arrow posted:

Hello piano/keyboard goons, I am a bassist who is mediocre at comping on guitar and downright awful on keys. I'm wondering if someone could add some comping to the below 8 and 12-bar tracks (lead sheets included):

http://www.vaughn-s.net/st_2/new/

I am by no means rich but I can send you some $$$ via paypal or whatever for your dorito/mountain dew trust fund. Also if there's a better thread for this kind of thing, please let me know.

I’d love to give it a shot!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

BonHair posted:

Hello piano people. I have recently upgraded to an actual house, and as such I have space for a piano in the living room, and that's something I really want. I can see on Facebook that it's super easy to find people giving pianos, but I have no clue what I'm looking for besides aesthetics. And I'm fairly sure that once it's in, it's staying put. So my question is, given my limited experience with pianos, what am I looking for? I'm used to electric guitar/bass, but honestly I'm not good at acoustic instruments (yet).

And because it seems relevant with the older pianos I've seen on Facebook, I'm in Denmark. I see a lot of Danish brands, so I assume production is kinda local traditionally.

Man there are quite a few different acoustic pianos.

Check out this link for a brief primer: https://www.merriammusic.com/pianos/types-of-pianos/

We personally have a wall or spinnet piano. It’s small, compact, and a piano. It even has smaller keys. I love it and loved it especially when I first started learning.

Then I bought a digital piano, with 88 full weighted keys, Casio PX-560, and it’s blown me away. Love the feel, love the midi capability, love the sounds and accomplishment features.

If you aren’t ready to go full baby grand piano, you could get a digital piano that looks very classic and get a piano stand that matches (like in the link above) and keep it on a wall or in the middle of a room etc.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I got my deceased mothers spinet piano. Started taking lessons. Would work on the song for a week at home then go back to the piano teachers digital keyboard and couldn’t for the life of me get my fingers in the right spot.

The spinets keys are tiny in comparison!!!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Seventh Arrow posted:

Cool thanks! PM me your details and we can work out the rest.

Let it be known, today I got paid to play piano for the first time since I started taking lessons in May!

How do I get this to pay for my house payment?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Guys -

I travel a lot and want to be able to run up and down scales and make chords in a DAW or something in my hotel room.

Recommendations? Drum pads are a nice plus if I’m being honest. Never got into them but I think I might like giving it a shot.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Does it need to be fold up? There are a ton of really great midi keyboard with pads too so you can do drum sounds and play keys at the same time.

Keylab…. M-audio…. Start with those first and see what you think. Hardest decision will be selecting how many keys you want. I find 37 is good for being in the road but 49 would be “no limitations play both hands”

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve never been so pissed off by a nursery rhyme. Why do my left hand and right hand hate doing different things. WHY.

Here’s a pro-tip. Practice each hand individually. When you can do a hand correctly 5x in a row, move to the other hand. Same thing. Then combine.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I can’t recommend PianoForAll enough. Video course with supplemental PDFs and multiple song recommendations for every technique learned.

It’s like 39 bucks for a one time purchase.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I picked up PianoForAll as my second attempt to teach myself piano. I’m halfway through the first book, learning chords and rhythms. My question is, when do I learn to play “real” songs? Practicing chord progressions is great, but none of the exercises and examples so far sound like “real” music.

I get that. You’re being taught muscle memory and backing chords and rhythms for the first book. It’s intended to help you be able to play chords while being able to sing over the songs or have band members take part.

Try going into “Ballad Style” and work on doing a C Am F G progression in your left hand while improvising with your right.

Even better get a backing drum track and do it. I bet you’ll feel like you’re making real music pretty quickly.

Last thing - playing solo anything (beginner/early intermediate) usually feels dumb but when you’ve got drums and bass and a little guitar going on the whole thing turns into magic.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

a.p. dent posted:

speak for yourself, i’m learning all the hits in Alfred Adult Lesson Book 1: when the saints go marching in, little brown jug, greensleeves, the entertainer. all #1 hit tunes

All the songs they can publish without paying copyright fees

But actually this is a good look at things.

INTJ Mastermind, why don’t you purchase an “Insert Favorite Artist here Easy Piano Book”

After a year I purchased a book on Disney Songs at intermediate difficulty and although it kicked my rear end for two months I can play Beauty and the Beast.

Also, look into HDpiano.com. It has thousands of excellent video tutorials of songs. All of them have a free preview on YouTube to see if you like it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Jazz Marimba posted:

what would you change to make it pedagogically better? legit curious, cuz it really does feel like you need a teacher to help with it

I bought the Levine Jazz Piano book and I quit after half a chapter LOL.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Hughmoris posted:

What is your go-to list of songs for the "there's a piano at the party" scenario?

I'm looking for fun and simple songs to learn that I can play for friends and family, stuff people can sing to etc... I recently found this arrangement of "I Say a Little Prayer" that seems like it could be within reach for me.

*Holy moly, I'm realizing I first posted in this thread 15 years ago. It hurts to imagine where I'd be if I had practiced regularly during that interval...

Imagine
Great Balls of Fire
Hey Jude
Couple of Christmas Songs always have at the ready like Jingle Bell Rock or White Christmas
Your favorite Eagles song
Good piano bar requests and find a few of your favorites there.
I also have a few jazz standards I use because you can play them as slowly as you want and it still feels good. Autumn Leaves, Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Alizee posted:

This is like saying Stairway to Heaven, Wonderwall, Seven Nation Army and Hotel California. Different strokes for different folks though. Personally, I don't play unless people want me to. But I'm not a fan of hokey sing alongs, and I know a lot of people are, so I get it.

I'll present a different list of repertoire - Awesome classical pieces that fit the mood any time people go "Oh, you play piano! Can you play us something?". Personally, I like really moody minor key chopin and scriabin and all that, but I find these are better appreciated by the masses. Sometimes it feels awkward playing a dramatic sad piece when the mood is light and fun in the middle of the day... ya know?

Bach - Prelude in C Major (beginner)
Beethoven - Pathetique 2nd movement and 3rd if you feel
Chopin - Nocturne in Eb+
Debussy - Clair de Lune
Debussy - Arabesque
Liszt - Liebestraum No. 3
Tiersen - Comptine d'un autre ete (beginner)

Oh yeah of course different strokes for different folks but none of those songs are getting me laid.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Hi, I spent 12 years learning classical piano when I was a kid and then aggressively never touched one from high school until a couple years ago, and now that I have space I want to get a semi-decent weighted 88 key that can both play on its own and also interface with a computer/synthesizer for when I want to screw around in nontraditional ways. I'm thinking of the korg D1 because people are positive about the keybed and it has a DIN MIDI out, is there a better option in that price range or should I be good picking that one up?

Also look into Yamaha similar offerings. They have a cult following and are great products.

I'd echo the comment above about onboard speakers etc.

I have a Casio PX-560 that I love so much I can't stand it. Touchscreen, weighted keys. It's....blue. Give Casio a look too.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
PianoForAll is extremely cheap.

PianoForAll is extremely good.

It gets you up and going on piano very quickly. It also gives you some easy ways to remember chords and songs and etc.

I can not recommend it more highly.

I think it’s like 39 bucks or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

sporklift posted:

Pianoforall

I mean it’s so cheap you really should do both as you can afford them. Pianoforall will give you a huge boost though. Took me from Dead beginner to low intermediate in like a month