Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monocular
Jul 29, 2003

Sugartime Jones
Should I try not to look at my hands/the keys while I'm practicing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monocular
Jul 29, 2003

Sugartime Jones
I've been playing for a while and I've recently been wanting to start playing rock piano. Until now I've just been playing random music and working on my own stuff with very little direction. I'm not entirely unfamiliar with music theory so I understand chord progressions and other basic stuff, but I'm at a loss of where to start. I have an old Jazz theory book that's just kind of been sitting around, should I start with that?

Monocular
Jul 29, 2003

Sugartime Jones

el Trentoro posted:

Yeah seriously.

Well, maybe not. It depends on what you really mean when you say "rock piano," since the word "rock" is used in a very non-specific way these days.

Try this: go figure out what the piano is doing in "Rock and Roll" by Led Zeppelin, and learn it and play it. Then, basically, just do that exact same thing in any other song you want to play.

If you don't like the thought of that, then maybe what you really want to play is some Coldplay stuff, or something.

Yeah, sorry, "rock piano" is really vague. What I'm mostly interested is bright, quick piano, like you hear in songs like Don't Stop Me Now by Queen, or Crocodile Rock by Elton John. But yeah, I guess most of it will probably come down to emulation.