Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacRae
Jul 29, 2003

I'm not really sure if this is the right thread for it, but I'm looking for any tips for going from classical piano to a more blues/jazz/rock feel. I played classical for several years when I was around 11 or 12, I stopped after learning to play a lot of introductory classical pieces like Bach's minuets and some simpler sonatas and so on. A big part of the reason I lost interest was because when I got a little older I got frustrated trying to play with friends who were starting rock bands: they never knew what key they were playing in and I was awful at figuring it out, and even if they knew or I figured it out I was usually only able to play chords. I used to write little pieces of my own, but again they were all very classical sounding and with the exception of really simple three-chord blues progressions I was never able to play anything jazzy or bluesy.

That was about ten years ago and in the intervening time I've only played sporadically, jamming with bands once or twice and playing with my father's band at a barbecue at one point (they knew all the key changes for every song, so that helped a lot). A week ago I suddenly decided to start seriously playing again so I went out and got a Yamaha PSR-E413 and a couple books of introductory Bach pieces, I've found it pretty easy to get back into it from where I left off but once again I'm finding it all but impossible to play anything that doesn't sound like classical, especially stuff I come up with on my own. I can pull off a jazz sound if I know what key we're playing in and can confidently improvise, but I have no idea where to begin if I want to start learning a more rock-based sound.

I'm specifically interested in moving in a classic rock/prog rock direction. Any suggestions? Also, if anyone has any tips for jamming with people playing mostly rock and roll stuff, I'd be grateful for that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacRae
Jul 29, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions, that's more or less exactly what I was looking for! I only ever learned really basic theory like major and minor scales, so I guess that and more lessons are going to be my first stop.