Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
What the hell am i supposed to do about this bit? There's no pedal marking. I've just been ignoring it so far but it bugs me

My only guess is to just use the pedal anyway but it sounds markedly different from the rest of the piece if i do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I mean how do I do that while also holding the chord at the start of the measure, I'd have to pedal the whole thing. I guess that's just what i have to do?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Thank you!

E: oh! Duh. It just clicked what you were telling me to do in your first reply. Now i get it! Thank you again :)

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 28, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I (personally) would do it without the pedal (but I'm admittedly allergic to pedal unless it's explicitly in the sheet music), and I'd go 5-3-21 for the fingering. It'll require rotating your elbow/wrist quite a bit to do it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hey, was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on fingering (:pervert:)

This is a passage from a piece I'm practicing right now. This bit repeats twice, identically each time. I've included the finger that I've kinda fallen into using because it's the best thing I've found that works for me so far:

At my current practice speed it's okay. I'm still drilling it because I'm still building back my accuracy and finger dexterity & strength. But when sped up to the intended bpm (190) it gets a bit tricky, and I feel like my fingers keep getting in each other's way. Part of that is just how the piece is written, but I feel like part of it may be how I'm playing it. Please let me know if you have any ideas to try!

Of course I also think that if I was just dextrous and accurate enough, it probably wouldn't matter and I could use whatever fingering, so maybe I just need to git gud--and if that's the answer please let me know that too!

Here's a short clip I just took of me playing it at practice speed and performance speed to give an idea of where I'm at and what it looks like when I use that fingering (sorry for the shaking):

https://i.imgur.com/SQyb3Pt.mp4

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My collapsing fingers are part of what i need to work on with finger strength. I'm just getting back into it after not playing for like 18 years (i played for 12 years before that). I don't think I'm double jointed, at least nobody's told me i was

The 1-3 at the end lets me transition easily to play it a second time, and then to the next section. I could give something else a try though

E: I'll also try more 1-5 like you suggested, i think i land on 1-4 a lot because 4 is stronger than my 5, which again just loops back to getting my finger strength back up

Thanks!

E2: k yeah i just need to build back my finger strength and discipline. Focusing on this has already improved my playing noticably, and I'm sure my old teacher's ghost has been shaking her fist at me this whole time. Also this made me realize my keyboard is slightly too high/chair slightly too low so once i get that taken care of i should be good to go. Thanks again :)

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 11, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Not strictly contemporary, but I just discovered Lionel Yu the other day and he likes to do a lot of remixes and arrangements of classics and modern pieces, and his embellishments are dramatic and over the top in exactly the ways that I love.

Turn on CC for commentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9J7qGBoOnQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmeCK9p8M4k

Also re: the question about songs to play at parties, I don't have any specific song recommendations, just know the audience, and know the difference between songs you play to impress and ones you play for everyone to vibe and have fun.

E:

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 19, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Colonel J posted:

My SO and I just bought A FREAKIN PIANO!!

It's so great to play on this when all we had a was a cheap-ish electronic keyboard. I really like the size, it plays amazing, sounds a tiny bit thinner than a full upright but the action is fantastic.
Hell yeah, very nice!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I don't actually remember but i usually read those as "play with 5, switch to 3" like you said, or i just ignore the switch and play it with the 3 or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Or you can use both! There's no law against it