Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

orly posted:

I've been playing piano on and off for about 10 years, and am looking into getting serious about it again. I've seen some digital pianos like the Casio PX110 Privia at decent prices ($397?). It seems like an amazing deal, but what are other piano goons' experience with this piano?

On the Piano World Forums, which from what I can tell are the largest piano forums on the internet, the PX110 is the most commonly suggested starter digital piano. It is the "cheapest" digital piano available that has fully weighted hammer action keys. The PX310 is the same thing, but with more keyboard bells and whistles. The PX700 and PX800 are the same respective keyboards, but come with stands.

If you have a guitar center or something like that near you go check it out. Obviously some of the more expensive keyboards had better action (for ex the keys were quieter), but it was not worth the extra $350+ more over the PX110 to get something similar from Yamaha or Roland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Realjones
May 16, 2004

colonp posted:

I've looked a bit at some Danish sites (Aage.dk seems to be the cheapest, and they're somewhat local as well), and it seems that the new digital pianos in my price range are:
M-Audio ProKeys 88sx (3200 dkr.)
Casio CDP-100 (3000 dkr.)
Casio Privia PX-110 (3600 dkr.) - no stand
Casio Privia PX-310 (4000 dkr.) - no stand

The PX-110 is the cheapest fully weighted keys piano keyboard currently available. The PX-310 is the same keyboard, but with more electronic bells and whistles. The PX-110 is around $400 here in the U.S. and it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to ship one internationally.

Anything else with fully weighted keys is more expensive than the PX-110. For example, another "entry level" keyboard, the Yamaha YGP-625, is like $600+. Anything less expensive (<$400) does not have fully weighted keys. You want fully weighted keys.

The 88sx only has semi weighted keys; it is not what you want.

I have the PX-110 and it is good for what I bought it for (cheapest fully weighted keys I could get). I also have a M audio 88es (semi weighted keys) and the difference in the realism is night and day.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

Markzillla posted:

Have you tried using the PX-110 with a pc with vsts? If so is it easy to get working with a pc? I know it doesn't have usb. I ask because I'm thinking of getting one, but I'd be mainly using it with the pc and if it's a hassle to get working (I have Vista, which probably doesn't help), I'd rather stick with my M-Audio 49es, which while kinda crappy Just Works with no drama on all the computers I've tried it with.

The PX-110 has midi in and out, you would just need a MIDI to USB cable. I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work fine.