Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloke
May 22, 2004

I have a yamaha psr290 which I bought really cheap a few months go, since then I have become engrossed in playing it, I've never used the other functions and never have it off grand piano mode.

However, it does feel quite cheap and I would like to spend a decent amount on a new keyboard (below £500/$1000), particularly something that is nice to play and sounds good. I dont want 2 million voices and all that jazz..just something that is a full size piano with a good sound and also occasionally use midi out with fruityloops.

It doesn't have to be new just out model so second hand is a possibility.

What can you recommend...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloke
May 22, 2004

No chance with an upright at the moment, but I can compromise and assume I'm on the right track with the yamaha clavinova and the casio privia.

Bloke
May 22, 2004

Thanks. Just watched the kawai mp5/mp8 demo on youtube, looks like great piece of kit. I can't get one for under £900 here in the UK - even shipping from the US with import duty and delivery would would be around £850.

The yamaha p85 is £450 (without stand/pedals), is it worth spending an extra £400/$700 on the kawai?

Bloke
May 22, 2004

Vanmani posted:

Well yeah, right track... but they wont be a massive improvement at that level. The most Piano like digital pianos are probably the upper end Rolands (RD series i.e. RD-700, very expensive), Kawais (MP series I prefer i.e. MP8II, although some of their digital home pianos are pretty nice too, just bigger) and then probably the Yamahas... P85s are great for the price but there's not much to them.

I got a Kawai MP5 and it feels, plays and sounds better than most Pianos I've played under about $6000AUD, certainly a million times better than for anything I've played that costs an equivalent amount. The MP8 feels even better, but weighs and costs more of course. An important thing here is getting a good amplifier, the speakers that come with most digital pianos are terrible which is part of the reason I preferred to get a stage piano (no speakers) and just buy a decent keyboard amp. People generally recommend the Roland KC series for keyboard amps, such as the KC-350.

What you're looking for in a digital piano is a fully weighted keys, and proper graded hammer action. If the keys just strike a switch then it's probably a lot cheaper, but won't feel quite right. If they have a hammer that swings and THEN strikes a switch they'll feel much more authentic.

I don't know what prices are like over in EU, my MP5 was $2000AUD, in the US they're about $1200USD. I then paid another $500AUD for my amp, bringing it up to $2500AUD for a playable package. A good amp in USD is about $350, taking it up to ~$1550USD.

All of them will handle MIDI ok, but if you spend a little more on a stage piano you'll generally get better MIDI support, including sliders/knobs and multiple channels. I use my MP5 as a Piano, B3 style organ and Rhodes style electric piano... and as a MIDI controller for all sorts of things. It's great, can switch it from internal to MIDI and various combinations thereof (with different zones as well) at the touch of a button.

Well I took your advice back in 2008 and bought a new kawai MP5. It's taken me over 4 years to actually play out some good tunes on it - but the thing that's holding me back is that I haven't learned to read music.

I was wondering if there was a easy way to learn it or is it just down to practice and patience?